Airbed, Roll Mat, Self Inflating Mat, Camp Bed and so on

JoeyT

On 6/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, balti-pie said:

I’m currently lying on the trespass self-inflating mat, which came today - it’s rolled out and has been given a blow, and I tell you what it’s pretty bloody comfy. I’m quite a long person (6ft 2) so my feet dangle off the end a bit, I’ll need some sleeping socks of some form, but lying front/back/side it’s all very comfortable and there’s no doubt at all I can sleep on this. Just about to roll it back up and strap it all back together, which seems pretty straightforward. Recommended! 

Good to know, hoping mine is delivered in time now, I opted for click and collect to the shop thinking I'd save £3.95 postage and pick it up over the weekend but didn't arrive in time so now have to hope I can find time in between work to pick it up (assuming it's delivered to store soon!)

13 hours ago, balti-pie said:

You've started a trend, all sold out. Mine still hasn't arrived,  getting concerned now...

Edited by Wurzelcat

On 6/9/2022 at 12:47 AM, Brunty9 said:

New to this thread. Purchased a couple of these earlier today. I'm told they are excellent with a self inflating roll mat on top. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/single-inflatable-camping-bed-base/_/R-p-309887

Have you tried it out yet? How is it for side sleeping? I've got a self inflating one at the moment that isn't any good when on your side. 

Also, can it be blown up manually or is a pump needed? 

IMHO... worry less about your sleeping matt, and more about your pillow!

Don't get an inflatable pillow, especially one built into your inflatable matt/air bed! Clothes inside a bag are a poor option, but still better than an inflatable pillow.

If possible go with your normal home pillow. Bulky but light and easily strapped to the outside of your bag, with a clean pillowcase inside.

Failing that, this is pretty good - https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-compressible-pillow-medium-D2514005.html

(p.s I've gone with various self-inflating matts over the years, which are ok, but it is the pillow that makes the difference)

2 minutes ago, tazbang said:

IMHO... worry less about your sleeping matt, and more about your pillow!

Don't get an inflatable pillow, especially one built into your inflatable matt/air bed! Clothes inside a bag are a poor option, but still better than an inflatable pillow.

If possible go with your normal home pillow. Bulky but light and easily strapped to the outside of your bag, with a clean pillowcase inside.

Failing that, this is pretty good - https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-compressible-pillow-medium-D2514005.html

(p.s I've gone with various self-inflating matts over the years, which are ok, but it is the pillow that makes the difference)

Agree on the pillow.    Get those vacuum storage bags which are cheap, shrink the pillow to 20% of its original size which you can then put inside your rucksack and it keeps it dry in case of rain (not that there will be any rain of course ).  Ive also used it for a single duvet - both in the ruck sack with minimum volume 

27 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Agree on the pillow.    Get those vacuum storage bags which are cheap, shrink the pillow to 20% of its original size which you can then put inside your rucksack and it keeps it dry in case of rain (not that there will be any rain of course ).  Ive also used it for a single duvet - both in the ruck sack with minimum volume 

What about when you come Home on the Monday? 

I assume you don’t have a vacuum in your campsite to shrink the stuff back down again for the return journey?!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

What about when you come Home on the Monday? 

I assume you don’t have a vacuum in your campsite to shrink the stuff back down again for the return journey?!

you get a little hand pump thingy which you can use as an alternative to a hoover 

5 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

you get a little hand pump thingy which you can use as an alternative to a hoover 

Do you have a link to where you got yours from?

im coming on a coach this year so need to get my ‘load’ as small as possible! 

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Do you have a link to where you got yours from?

im coming on a coach this year so need to get my ‘load’ as small as possible! 

I cant copy the link for some reason - look for Spacesaver vacuum storage bags on Amazon - you'll need to 10 pack to get a range of sizes.  Here's the effect that they have....

before.jpg

after.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Do they sell proper pillows at the camp shops inside? 

They used to (£5 per pillow) but it seems that Glastonbury is ramping back on camping supplies sold at the festival this year.   Presumably on the basis that if you didn't haul it in yourself, your unlikely to be able to take it away and will therefore leave stuff there with them.

8 hours ago, ohmygod said:

They used to (£5 per pillow) but it seems that Glastonbury is ramping back on camping supplies sold at the festival this year.   Presumably on the basis that if you didn't haul it in yourself, your unlikely to be able to take it away and will therefore leave stuff there with them.

That’s fair enough. I can never be arsed carrying a pillow in ,but it always comes home with me - it’s a godsend on the bus back

On 6/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, Ed90 said:

So, I've invested in a Vango Comfort 10cm single...its just arrived and even though I'd read the measurements, it's ludicrously big packed. Convince me I shouldn't send it back and it'll be the best £80 I've ever spent. 

Well I'll just put a word in for going with the thinner versions. My current one, like the one before it, is only about 3cm thick inflated and I get on with it fine. I sleep on my side and it keeps my 12 stones cushioned and insulated from the ground perfectly well. I can't help thinking some people converting from deep blow-up airbeds are thinking they need to go with the thicker (= bulkier) self-inflating type when they don't need to really

On 6/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, ohmygod said:

I cant copy the link for some reason - look for Spacesaver vacuum storage bags on Amazon - you'll need to 10 pack to get a range of sizes.  Here's the effect that they have....

before.jpg

after.jpg

Got mine today...how long do you let the vacuum do its work?

I did a couple of tests, my pillow worked a treat but my sleeping bag didn't do much as much of a job as I was expecting.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Got mine today...how long do you let the vacuum do its work?

I did a couple of tests, my pillow worked a treat but my sleeping bag didn't do much as much of a job as I was expecting.

20 seconds...perhaps put the sleeping bag in a bigger bag?