Airbed, Roll Mat, Self Inflating Mat, Camp Bed and so on

JoeyT

If you're looking for the ultimate and money is no object then the combo of an helinox cot one + a decent SIM i.e thermarest mondoking or exped megamat 10 is as good if not better as a home bed.  You would want to be a regular camper to warrant splashing out on these though. 

14 hours ago, Amnesic_Toad said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-307396?mc=8595946&c=BEIGE

Can confirm this is exceedingly comfortable for £79.99 - currently out of stock online but you can setup an alert to be notified when restocking occurs (which seems to be happening relatively frequently). 

Seconded.

Bought this for Worthy Pastures last summer and it was so much more comfortable than any blow up mat I've used before 

Bit cumbersome to transport mind, as it's still relatively big when 'folded'. Kinda like a huge briefcase. But it'd be totally worth it.

To date an old version of the Thermarest Trail Pro has been the best upgrade I made a few fests ago at the emphatic recommendation of a friend. For those seeking a single, lightweight, relatively compact solution - I recommend it. The new ones are even thicker so even better for ground clearance.

Going plush this year with upgrades that will hopefully see us through the next decade or more. Not only have we joined the 4.1 F&B crew and treated ourselves to new sleeping bags but the main excitement is that we have got ourselves a decathlon air bed base each and using our current SIMs (for me the aforementioned thermarest) to top it (It's adding up money wise and that Ultim Comfort one is heavy). Taking the manual air pump will be a bulky faff but it will be worth it I'm sure. Couldn't find any battery pumps that could go to 6 PSI so if anyone has a tip there, let me know.

I've found the lack of sleep to be a killer in festivals past and now I'm older and have a few health considerations, good sleep is a must if I'm to get the most out of our favourite place on earth without keeling over at the wrong moment. I'm actually looking forward to the sleeping set up as much as the fun and games of the fest for the first time rather than worrying about lumpy ground and hips falling through a deflating SIM with a fall in temperature, and not being able to get to sleep because its light or hot. Biggest worry will be over-sleeping and missing something I think!

Who needs glamping, eh?!

Recent debate I’ve had with a mate as he’s just spent a mint of a fancy double air bed with built in pump & a double sleeping bag. 
Of the 11 Gs I’ve done, as well as numerous other camping trips, I’ve come to the decision that air beds are twatty. 
They are weighty, they require support equipment (pump), pumping is a slag, 8/10 they go down (even after buying an expensive one), your back gets sweaty & I roll off them. 

I find a decent roll mat superior as long as you’ve got a nice bit of ground under it.

However this year I’m taking a proper camp bed, picked is thing up for £17! Use to use them in the Scouts sometimes & remember it being comfy & far more refreshing that a mat or air bed. I think it’s the circulation & not being on the ground that makes it work. 
Ill probably top it with my Vango “self inflating” roll Mat too. 

A42DA1E5-55AC-45A4-BE0F-DCC8F1392F7D.png

Edited by bennyboi

1 hour ago, bennyboi said:

Recent debate I’ve had with a mate as he’s just spent a mint of a fancy double air bed with built in pump & a double sleeping bag. 
Of the 11 Gs I’ve done, as well as numerous other camping trips, I’ve come to the decision that air beds are twatty. 
They are weighty, they require support equipment (pump), pumping is a slag, 8/10 they go down (even after buying an expensive one), your back gets sweaty & I roll off them. 

I find a decent roll mat superior as long as you’ve got a nice bit of ground under it.

However this year I’m taking a proper camp bed, picked is thing up for £17! Use to use them in the Scouts sometimes & remember it being comfy & far more refreshing that a mat or air bed. I think it’s the circulation & not being on the ground that makes it work. 

Tend to agree most airbeds are too much faff for not enough benefit.

That said, I’ve been taking an Exped Downmat for the past 5(ish) years.

It’s super light, packs up smaller than a sleeping bag and the ‘pump’ is a 60g air bag that inflates your bed from flat to full within about 5 pumps.

Sure it loses a tiny bit of air overnight, but it’s really no big deal to top it up.

Our biggest issue with it was ‘sleeping bag slip’. But if you stick your mat inside a quilt cover, no more sliding about on your bed.

DE49DFA3-2A57-4627-9595-3AE6A655FC73.jpeg

21 hours ago, Amnesic_Toad said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-307396?mc=8595946&c=BEIGE

Can confirm this is exceedingly comfortable for £79.99 - currently out of stock online but you can setup an alert to be notified when restocking occurs (which seems to be happening relatively frequently). 

I've just got this along with the base that they sell too. ive slept in it... its great

im getting on now need some comfort 😁

If I’m  coming by train and need to pack light I bring my 3/4 length thermarest and down sleeping bag and usually sleep really well.  Coming by car this year so debating a bigger thermarest, a blanket underneath and maybe a duvet to see how much nicer that is.

Had a night on an air bed this week when we had people staying over and I ended up sleeping on the floor, I just don’t get on with airbeds.

37 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

It’s super light, packs up smaller than a sleeping bag and the ‘pump’ is a 60g air bag that inflates your bed from flat to full within about 5 pumps.

Sure it loses a tiny bit of air overnight, but it’s really no big deal to top it up.

Our biggest issue with it was ‘sleeping bag slip’. But if you stick your mat inside a quilt cover, no more sliding about on your bed.

That’s a swaggy air bed tbf. 
all being said, there will be less uppers & more edibles this year so sleeping shouldn’t be the issue it use to be. 

2 hours ago, Stretlow said:

I've just got this along with the base that they sell too. ive slept in it... its great

im getting on now need some comfort 😁

The decathlon base is really good, use it with a 10 SIM a lot at home as a spare bed. Worth lugging the pump but as someone pointed out previously, there should be a few about with all those fresh and black air tents!

1 hour ago, bennyboi said:

That’s a swaggy air bed tbf. 
all being said, there will be less uppers & more edibles this year so sleeping shouldn’t be the issue it use to be. 

It’s the swaggiest camping thing I’ve ever shelled out on, but like others have said on this thread - as you get older, nailing a good/comfy nights sleep becomes more of a priority - and I don’t do the trolley nonsense anymore. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, dogeggs said:

I've got one of these. It's bloody great for the weight and pack size. Ideal for hike / backpacking. If you have capacity in terms of weight and size, you can get something more comfy, but if coming via train / bus, this is ace. Not cheap.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:48 AM, bennyboi said:

That's exactly what I've gone for. Thin self-inflating on top of the Utah. Tested it at home and feels comfy AF.

20220528_134703.thumb.jpg.d85537dd350f65390fb3c245e4a5a1e7.jpg

15 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

Have to agree, they do look good value. Tempted to take the plunge on one of them, it's the last 'main' item on my shopping list. Decisions decisions

2 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

Nice, shes a comfy old rig and wont feel as gross n sticking in the morning. 

Only thing I'm slightly concerned by is how stable it'll be on a less than perfect surface. Side to side feels OK, but I reckon too much top to bottom movement and those legs are buggered.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Only thing I'm slightly concerned by is how stable it'll be on a less than perfect surface. Side to side feels OK, but I reckon too much top to bottom movement and those legs are buggered.

Yep, already played around with wedging strips of beer can in with the top of the legs, stopped it 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bennyboi said:

Yep, already played around with wedging strips of beer can in with the top of the legs, stopped it 

How did you do that? wrapped around the leg and then pushed in, or leg in first and then add strips as wedges?

coming from the states, I have to fit everything in my backpack and check it on a plane, which means no attaching a roll (or anything) to the outside  either.  I bring a pool float.  They're under a tenner, thicker than a mat, and take up way less space than anything else.  

float.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

How did you do that? wrapped around the leg and then pushed in, or leg in first and then add strips as wedges?

Wrapped one round the tip of the leg then stuffed bits to make up the remaining gap. by no means permanent but it'll do for 4-5 nights. cant moan for £17. 

Just now, Olshansky said:

coming from the states, I have to fit everything in my backpack and check it on a plane, which means no attaching a roll (or anything) to the outside  either.  I bring a pool float.  They're under a tenner, thicker than a mat, and take up way less space than anything else.  

float.jpeg

And you're sorted if it floods 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Has anyone come across a camp bed or mat in similar length to a king size bed? 198cm long would be amazing

Nope, but then it's not something I've had an eye open for. Not much help I know!