Queuing (inside the fence)

hmmmloddy

Just curious: what's the longest people have queued for a stage/act/tent/area and was it worth it?

I've sacked off queues for the Rabbit Hole, NYC Downlow, The Temple, The Piano Bar, etc a number of times because I always felt that the end result wouldn't have been worth the time lost while waiting.

That's not to say I haven't arrived somewhere a bit early for a must-see set but anything that feels like it's going to take 20 mins or more of just waiting causes an immediate nope.

• Like 1

I don’t think I ever really have for anything... but then I haven’t been to the ‘secret’ part of the rabbit hole or the underground piano bar. 

If I could be guaranteed to be in 10 minutes fine... if not it feels like too much of Glastonbury to waste. All of the site is good, there’s always other things going on

I queued up for maybe 10 minutes to get into something at the SE corner one time and that was enough. There’s no way I’m queuing for hours to get into anywhere - I’d rather just turn up earlier when queues are minimal. 

The most head scratching queue I’ve witnessed is the one for mobile recharging. Partly because it’s completely unnecessary if you have the right equipment (or use the locks ups to charge) but also because it seems so un-Glasto to spend time doing that, of all things. 

25 minutes ago, DwayneSmokingRocksJohnson said:

I refuse to queue for anything at Glasto. There's so many mad things going I don't feel the need to queue up, I'll just stroll past and go to another place that looks just as appealing. The 10 hour over night queue and any queues for food are more than enough for me.

Basically fuck queues. 

This is how I feel, even though I’m probably missing out I just can’t be bothered. 

Charm x

As I gently age I find that a slowly shuffling queue can be a great way to recharge the batteries. 

This year my 16 year old son is keen to see much more of the after hours fun this year (we did Arcadia and chilled in Strummerville overnight in '17 & now he wants much more). 

This suits me but I'll be seeking to perfect my Stand Up Snooze Technique (SUSTTM) wherever I find a handy queue :sleep:

52 minutes ago, DwayneSmokingRocksJohnson said:

I refuse to queue for anything at Glasto. There's so many mad things going I don't feel the need to queue up, I'll just stroll past and go to another place that looks just as appealing. The 10 hour over night queue and any queues for food are more than enough for me.

Basically fuck queues. 

100% this 

One of my biggest gripes about glasto is the ques for toilets when you know half of them are empty and everybodys just stood waiting. I get more annoyed with this the longer the fest goes on! 

Thankfully it seems the portfolios are on their way out at least with the others you can see people's feet when you approach ?

Edited by bigbilly

1 hour ago, DwayneSmokingRocksJohnson said:

Basically fuck queues. 

Yes, this.

As I get older I won't queue to get into a nightclub or pub these days. When I was at uni the sign of a good club night was the time you had to queue to get in. These days I'd just go to the next place. See also: dress codes.

The only thing I've queued for once inside Glastonbury is the Raclette stall, and it was definitely worth it!

I don't mind a long queue. My view is if as a group we've made it to the SE corner to go to, lets say, NYC Downlow then I'm happy to queue for like an hour as if we give up and go exploring for another place we end up faffing and taking ages anyway! Plus the queues can be quite a good laugh at the SE corner is such a spectacle anyway!

43 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Never queued for anything except silent disco once was there 45 mins waiting for earphones, shouldn’t have bothered ?

I had a drunken paddy outside that one year. It's one out one in due to the exchange of headphones yet there were 5 doormen on with headphones around their necks.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

This is how I feel, even though I’m probably missing out I just can’t be bothered. 

Charm x

You're never missing out, while you walk away from the queue you're bound to spot something, meet someone, do something thats more entertaining than standing still in the hopes that the thing is good. 

Only ever queued to get into the temple on my first year, not even sure who it was, just following the group, was in the line for 15 minutes, walked in, danced for about 20 and then we all left. Won't ever do it again. 

EDIT, As others have said, food, drink, toilets, morning queue for the toilets is the worst thing. 

At 26 I've also stopped bothering to get to gigs as early as I can, have had a much better time at drinking in the nearest local with other fans and wondering in 15-20 minutes after doors open and stroll up still in the first 1/3rd of the crowd. 

Edited by chazwwe

In 2016 I ended up waiting 2 and a half hours for a hair wrap! No clue where the stall was, somewhere in the markets, but it was never meant to be that long a wait it turned out one of the staff hadn't come back from the night before (this was about 2pm ?). We ended up drinking a box of wine while sitting on the stallholders' very hospitable sofas and they even let us use their portaloo so we didn't lose our space in the queue! Although I was annoyed I had waited that long it was a nice respite from the rain and a good Glasto moment :)

Only queuing is for nice food ( though wouldn’t wait more than 10 mins anywhere) and loos. Given I have reached the age where waiting for the loo is a disaster waiting to happen I tend to work the tactics of going to to opposite side of the longdrops as it is usually quicker or timing it right or just ensuring I pop in if I see a free loo on route to anywhere! Failing that I smile nicely at the young people with better pelvic floors and plead age and incontinence and push in?