Day bag type and essentials for Glastonbury

LiamAsprey

I'm going to my first Glastonbury this year and am just trying to decide what type of bag I will take with me for the day and what I need in it. I somehow just don't think a bumbag will be big enough so is my best option a backpack? I feel it might be restrictive and annoying when in the crowds and dancing?!

Let me know how you have done it in the past and what makes it out of the tent with you for the day!

Thanks

Depends on where we are going/time of day and the weather but we normally use one small rucksack (10-15ltr) for the 2 of us. Handy for suncream/sunglasses/hats/drink/beer ? and also warmer top/rainproof coat should they be needed ? 

And the bog roll ?

Edited by Lycra

36 minutes ago, LiamAsprey said:

I'm going to my first Glastonbury this year and am just trying to decide what type of bag I will take with me for the day and what I need in it. I somehow just don't think a bumbag will be big enough so is my best option a backpack? I feel it might be restrictive and annoying when in the crowds and dancing?!

Let me know how you have done it in the past and what makes it out of the tent with you for the day!

Thanks

one good option is to move the bag to your front when in a large crowd. That way it only impacts you!

I take as small a bag as i can but its very weather dependent @Lycra covered most things. The only addition is hand gel

Take two bags and stash one in the lock up nearest where you think you will be when it gets cold so you aren't carrying stuff around all day. I've had back packs, small messenger type, pockets only. Depends on the day and what you think you need to get through the day. Funnily enough you seem to need a lot less day two... ?

Really think about the size. Just big enough for essentials. I bought a bag there for day stuff and it was that big that you have other people asking you to hang onto stuff for them and you also end up taking things you don't really need for just in case cos you have space. Put one bag in lock ups as suggested and keep bare essentials in a small bag. 

Essentials

A couple of packs of tissues, i find it handier and less bulky than loo roll. Either a small tube of ant bac or go for liquid soap. Lovely being able to wash hands at the taps.

I also pack suncream, vaseline used as lip balm, money, phone and cards. Hip flask for port and another spirit drink, i buy mixers at the bar to get ice. Shouldn't need to carry a charger this year for vape and phone. 

Hopefully they will be selling the canvas rucksacks  this year (they did in 2016 but I dint get to 2017) that come with the obligatory neespaper in. They're really collectable and have great designs on them although everybody chucks the papers in a nearby bin which isn't that sustainable unless you need a good read. They are good though for putting your day stuff in, fairly comfortable on your back and can fold down to put in a bum bag when empty. 

After some feedback advice on this also. Me and the wife have used a 'normal' day bag in the past to keep the essentials in. We could do with a new one now and I stumbled across this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cool-Bag-Rucksack-Lightweight-Waterproof/dp/B07FF9J1CQ/ref=asc_df_B07FF9J1CQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344430176327&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5471395252918096966&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006897&hvtargid=pla-527140082309&psc=1

Has anyone ever used one of these? Essentially I'm thinking mainly to keep our day drinks cold (we take a few cans each for the day and then generally swap to spirits in the evening or treat ourselves at the bars). We will also be carrying the usual in it, jumper, toilet roll etc etc.

In previous years we've just brought a carrier bag type cool bag which have limited effect in keeping things cool, particularly in 2017 but that was a freak year with the heat.

Thanks in advance

Get a foldable back pack from decathalon, think they’re like £2, then once you’ve drank your beers stash it in your pocket. 

I also have a decent sized bum bag for my essentials, got it from a military surplus shop so I look like a tit, but a functional tit atleast

Back pack for me with beer, spirits, water, sweets, suncream/waterproof/sunglasses, sanitizer, loo roll. There is loo roll available at lock ups but not every toilet is next to a lock up! I’ve previously popped back to the tent for a few minutes early evening to restock on booze and dump the sunglasses/suncream in favor of a jumper but, equally, you could leave these items in a lock up as they are free.

Have a wonderful festival! 

On 6/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, tarw said:

I wear my day bag during the day and then check it in to one of the central lockup’s for evening and nighttime 

This is the best advice. Small rucksack for day, then small x-body bag for evening (money/phone/emergency poncho/bog roll/hand sanitiser). The lock ups are a godsend. If it’s nice weather, I also leave my wellies in one....just in case.

Edited by phillyfaddle

I take my trusty Osprey Falcon 22L. I've never done a festival without it. Its big enough for bulky items like a coat or a jumper. Balanced enough to carry a load of cans/water/spirits. It has loads of different pockets, one for a hydration bladder thing (I've never used it for that, although its a great place to hide things). It even has a whistle on the chest strap ?