Knee walkers at Glasonbury

Hairybairns

Only person I've ever come across with a knee walker soon ditched it for their crutches as she found it too difficult to use on the rough undulating ground. She certainly went around much faster on crutches, the crowds could see her needs and helped ease her path.

Much depends on where you camp, what you want to see and the state of the ground. The type of knee walker you have will be important too as most are designed for hard fairly surfaces, though all-terrain versions are available. The festival site is rough, stony and hilly once out of the valley bottom. If dry the ground is rock hard, if wet the mud can quickly become many inches deep.

And as anyone who's used a trolley of some kind at Glasto will know, the ground is very unforgiving on small non-pneumatic wheels. The walk from the car park over the stony tracks into the site and on the the camping fields being littered with casualties. (It's even hard work with a large wheeled pneumatic tyred trolley)

Thank you for your reply. I've got all terrain Walker which is a plus and as we've got a trailer tent at least I won't have to walk from the car park. The weather is very important as if it's muddy I'll just chill out at our trailer. I've got a lot of work to do in the next 2 weeks to get myself prepared for all ground types, slopes etc. It's going to be a challenge to say the least..

35 minutes ago, Hairybairns said:

and as we've got a trailer tent 

You may want to check out your route from the trailer park into the site.....I've heard others chat about the "hill of death" on the way back to the campervan site. Believe it's on the way to the east campervan site.

I've just googled this. My concern would be stopping your ankle being knocked by crowds flowing around you, and joining back up behind you.

Do you propel yourself by your other leg? I'd imagine your leg is going to be like a WWE wrestler by Monday, have you got crutches to give yourself a break?

There are pinch points in various routes around the site where crowds merge to pass after the later acts finish. I suggest you wait for them to pass or use crutches and have mates on each side to keep you steady, it's tricky on 2 legs, nevermind 1.

Edited by carlosj

Well done you for giving it a go! I guess until you try these things you will never know!  However Carlos makes a good point about people behind you, if you can you might want to think about illuminating it in some way, fairy lights or flags maybe. Generally people are respectful of people with mobility aids but you're always gonna get one... 

My mum did 2011 with a crutch, I strategically positioned myself so that it would minimise the risk of people knocking her... 

• Upvote 1

Are you in plaster or a boot?? I am not sure a knee walker will survive the rocky ground as said above. 

I would bring crutches as well as this might be easier to be honest. See if you can get a large pair of those foldable boot covers in case of mud. 

Hopefully the ground will be good but it will be difficult- if you are NWB for 6 weeks it may be just about ok to go in a walking boot? 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, carlosj said:

I've just googled this. My concern would be stopping your ankle being knocked by crowds flowing around you, and joining back up behind you.

Do you propel yourself by your other leg? I'd imagine your leg is going to be like a WWE wrestler by Monday, have you got crutches to give yourself a break?

There are pinch points in various routes around the site where crowds merge to pass after the later acts finish. I suggest you wait for them to pass or use crutches and have mates on each side to keep you steady, it's tricky on 2 legs, nevermind 1.

@Carlos Hi Carlos, as I'm non weight bearing crutches could be difficult but I will be taking them. Me and my sister had a right laugh at the WWE comment ? you're not wrong I'm already working hard to build my strength but it's worth it as I really want to go. 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, bexj said:

Well done you for giving it a go! I guess until you try these things you will never know!  However Carlos makes a good point about people behind you, if you can you might want to think about illuminating it in some way, fairy lights or flags maybe. Generally people are respectful of people with mobility aids but you're always gonna get one... 

My mum did 2011 with a crutch, I strategically positioned myself so that it would minimise the risk of people knocking her... 

@Bexij, I'm hoping to can bear some weight come the time but whether it's knee Walker or crutches I'll be like Blackpool illuminations ?

22 hours ago, sedra said:

Are you in plaster or a boot?? I am not sure a knee walker will survive the rocky ground as said above. 

I would bring crutches as well as this might be easier to be honest. See if you can get a large pair of those foldable boot covers in case of mud. 

Hopefully the ground will be good but it will be difficult- if you are NWB for 6 weeks it may be just about ok to go in a walking boot? 

@sedra,  Hi Sedra, I'm in plaster. I think I'll be getting my plaster changed next week so they may say I can weight bear to some extent. I am determined to be there but the weather could be a deal breaker. I'll look into getting the boot covers. Be prepared for everything ?

33 minutes ago, Hairybairns said:

@sedra,  Hi Sedra, I'm in plaster. I think I'll be getting my plaster changed next week so they may say I can weight bear to some extent. I am determined to be there but the weather could be a deal breaker. I'll look into getting the boot covers. Be prepared for everything ?

This is what might help! 

https://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/feetz-pocket-festival-wellies-10439.html?gclid=CKG64tDP3-ICFYSMUQods9kGkw

1 hour ago, Hairybairns said:

@Carlos Hi Carlos, as I'm non weight bearing crutches could be difficult but I will be taking them. Me and my sister had a right laugh at the WWE comment ? you're not wrong I'm already working hard to build my strength but it's worth it as I really want to go. 

Great attitude! Good luck with it all, if anyone else is as clumsy as me passing people, I reckon you ought to have some sort of box around your ankle though to stop it being knocked.

Just thought, with crutches, I meant not to put weight on your ankle, but it puts the weight and force on your upper body and arms rather than your leg, and allows you a bit more mobility through the built up areas, then back on your walker.

Edited by carlosj

On 6/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Lycra said:

You may want to check out your route from the trailer park into the site.....I've heard others chat about the "hill of death" on the way back to the campervan site. Believe it's on the way to the east campervan site.

Thankfully we're in the west campervan site

18 hours ago, carlosj said:

Great attitude! Good luck with it all, if anyone else is as clumsy as me passing people, I reckon you ought to have some sort of box around your ankle though to stop it being knocked.

Just thought, with crutches, I meant not to put weight on your ankle, but it puts the weight and force on your upper body and arms rather than your leg, and allows you a bit more mobility through the built up areas, then back on your walker.

@carlosj,  crutches will be coming with us and everything else except the kitchen sink ?

• Like 1

Bless you! The ground is very rough and the distances are long, go careful. I found crutches hard when I ripped my Achilles 3 years ago - and that was just around town, even though I’ve got good upper body strength. Factor in the crowds and ? You may be better off with a wheelchair and have someone push you. Would that be possible?

(Clearly, it’s not going to be muddy this year...)

1 hour ago, phillyfaddle said:

Bless you! The ground is very rough and the distances are long, go careful. I found crutches hard when I ripped my Achilles 3 years ago - and that was just around town, even though I’ve got good upper body strength. Factor in the crowds and ? You may be better off with a wheelchair and have someone push you. Would that be possible?

(Clearly, it’s not going to be muddy this year...)

We're  in the west campervan field which won't be as bad as the east but still it'll be a trek. I'll be happy if I just get in to the nearest tents from there. I'm the same, useless on crutches but I am persevering and will take. Please no mud as I'm a banker to be rolling about in it ?

4 minutes ago, Hairybairns said:

We're  in the west campervan field which won't be as bad as the east but still it'll be a trek. I'll be happy if I just get in to the nearest tents from there. I'm the same, useless on crutches but I am persevering and will take. Please no mud as I'm a banker to be rolling about in it ?

Meant to say we will be taking a wheelchair as back up