Article on Girls Festival vulnerability

Nickyboy

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I demand that you understand me but you cannot understand me because of who you are

Seems to be your standpoint

Despite all of the things I have said to the contrary

The statistics and facts that men assault, rape and murder women are in black and white. 

Your opinion doesn't change the truth. 

Just now, gherkin8r said:

Why are you allowed one as a male? 

Do you not see you're answering your own question? Men can be allies. Men can accept and understand that women are and have been historically the victims of all kinds of assault and can want to change that without seeing it as an attack on them personally. 

Nobody is saying men can't have opinions, but when you are unable to put yourself in the shoes of the victim and refuse to believe a woman's truth you are not part of the solution. 

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The thread is called ‘article on girls festival vulnerability’. Like, why the hell do you have an opinion?

So because my opinion differs from your own it's irrelevant but if I agreed with you then I am the solution. 

Im not even clear how our opinions differ. I just don't see an attack on 50% of the gene pool as a reasonable response 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The fact that you feel attacked is your issue, bud.

So because my opinion differs from your own it's irrelevant but if I agreed with you then I am the solution. 

Im not even clear how our opinions differ. I just don't see an attack on 50% of the gene pool as a reasonable response 

Nobody is attacking you. We are unhappy with those attacking women. If you aren't one of those people, then this doesn't and shouldn't affect you

1 minute ago, I feel like Pablo said:

Then why can't you believe how women feel?

I believe how they feel 100%. And have stated that I can't understand it fully as I have not been a victim of it. I have stated that responses should be stronger. I have called the perpetrators scum. 

I have only said that I'd feel the response against "men" is unnecessarily divisive. 

Yet that seems to justify some sort of witch hunt? 

I believe how they feel 100%. And have stated that I can't understand it fully as I have not been a victim of it. I have stated that responses should be stronger. I have called the perpetrators scum. 

I have only said that I'd feel the response against "men" is unnecessarily divisive. 

Yet that seems to justify some sort of witch hunt? 

There is no witch hunt. There are other men on this thread supporting our feelings on this. You cannot deny though that you told a victim her feelings were inaccurate. That is what I took umbridge with 

2 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

There is no witch hunt. There are other men on this thread supporting our feelings on this. You cannot deny though that you told a victim her feelings were inaccurate. That is what I took umbridge with 

Feelings cannot be inaccurste for people personally. However they can be inaccurate with respect to the reality of the world. The fact that every single man (including myself) on this thread has stated that they would intervene acts as a refute to any argument that men don't take women seriously. 

6 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Feelings cannot be inaccurste for people personally. However they can be inaccurate with respect to the reality of the world. The fact that every single man (including myself) on this thread has stated that they would intervene acts as a refute to any argument that men don't take women seriously. 

But it isnt inaccurate. It is a fact. Yes there are a small handful of men on here saying they would intervene. If only all men were like that. But they aren't. There are, of course, good men! Lots of them! 

But there aren't enough of you around taking us seriously.  This is the problem. The stats around women being victims of assault, going to police, and conviction rates are terrible. He said, she said situations. women are told there isn't enough evidence. We are told that what we were wearing or that we had been drinking meant we were somehow to blame for what happend to us. 

Edited by I feel like Pablo
Spelling mistake

No it doesn’t. It refutes that those specific men take a hypothetical act that they are “witness” to seriously. The FACT is that men, not all men, but enough men, particularly those in power, have for hundreds of years not taken this problem seriously enough. The evidence of victim blaming, ridiculously low levels of prosecutions for sexual assaults, an American president voted in who boasts of grabbing women by the pussy, and a lack of teaching young boys what is acceptable and how they should behave, all of this shows that we, as men are not taking it seriously enough. 

I would argue that we are still not taking it seriously enough. I would also argue that anyone who argues against a women only stage at a massive festival and cannot see the benefit of that are also not taking it seriously enough. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

No it doesn’t. It refutes that those specific men take a hypothetical act that they are “witness” to seriously. The FACT is that men, not all men, but enough men, particularly those in power, have for hundreds of years not taken this problem seriously enough. The evidence of victim blaming, ridiculously low levels of prosecutions for sexual assaults, an American president voted in who boasts of grabbing women by the pussy, and a lack of teaching young boys what is acceptable and how they should behave, all of this shows that we, as men are not taking it seriously enough. 

I would argue that we are still not taking it seriously enough. I would also argue that anyone who argues against a women only stage at a massive festival and cannot see the benefit of that are also not taking it seriously enough. 

Again I have no upvotes left. But yes, yes and more yes 

But it isnt inaccurate. It is a fact. Yes there are a small handful of men on here saying they would intervene. If only all men were like that. But they aren't. There are, of course, good men! Lots of them! 

But there aren't enough of you around taking us seriously.  This is the problem. The stats around women being victims of assault, going to police, and conviction rates are terrible. He said, she said situations. women are told there isn't enough evidence. We are told that what we were wearing or that we had been drinking meant we were somehow to blame for what happend to us. 

A small handful? There has been nobody on this thread who has advocated, supported or in any way tried to justify or play down any attacks on women in any form. Nor has there been anyone who has cast aspersions on the validity of the claims women have made on this thread. 

I will give you the fact that people's professed sensibilities on the Internet may vary dramatically from their actions in the real world. However my issue is not with the assertion that there are men who are c**ts. That is indisputable. My issue is with using blanket statements about men not trusting women. 

If someone was to say they were attacked by a black person for example that wouldn't proclude a black person from having an opinion if they objected to a statement such as "whites need to stick together cos blacks don't take us seriously". 

It's all fairly basic stuff folks

A small handful? There has been nobody on this thread who has advocated, supported or in any way tried to justify or play down any attacks on women in any form. Nor has there been anyone who has cast aspersions on the validity of the claims women have made on this thread. 

I will give you the fact that people's professed sensibilities on the Internet may vary dramatically from their actions in the real world. However my issue is not with the assertion that there are men who are c**ts. That is indisputable. My issue is with using blanket statements about men not trusting women. 

If someone was to say they were attacked by a black person for example that wouldn't proclude a black person from having an opinion if they objected to a statement such as "whites need to stick together cos blacks don't take us seriously". 

Sorry, is ten people on a glastonbury forum thread not a drop in the ocean of the billions of men in the world? 

White people have not been systemically oppressed by black people. White people sticking together and mistrusting back people is called racism. It has been done for a long old time it's fairly well documented. Are you really going there? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

I’m out. Enjoy your festival dude. 

I will leave you with a thought. 

In the U.K. 20% of women have experienced some type of sexual assault since the age of 16. That is one in five.  If you know 5 women and none of them have talked to you about their experience of sexual assault and harassment, it’s not because it hasn’t happened, it’s because they don’t trust you to believe them. 

Sorry, is ten people on a glastonbury forum thread not a drop in the ocean of the billions of men in the world? 

White people have not been systemically oppressed by black people. White people sticking together and mistrusting back people is called racism. It has been done for a long old time it's fairly well documented. Are you really going there? 

Yes it is. Of course it is. Reverse the colours in my analogy then.

If a black person was to say they were attacked by a white person for example that wouldn't proclude a white person from having an opinion if they objected to a statement such as "blacks need to stick together cos whites don't take us seriously".