Baggy Mondays

Jackomanaco

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

If I had a guarantee they were gonna play Space Face I'd be there an hour before

Doves will do it at their secret set ?

Did they do it last night at Heaton Park? I had arranged to take my 15 year old nephew to see Xmen last night. All day I was sat there thinking should I go Heaton Park and take him to that instead. In the end I decided against it and went to the pictures. My sister lives in Heywood and driving back to Newton Heath I went past Heaton Park. It was absolutely bouncing down. Everyone coming out the park looked utterly drenched and thoroughly unhappy. Looks like I made the right decision. Xmen was better than the reviews gave it credit for as well.

11 minutes ago, Mardy said:

12’ of Weekender is all you need

Without doubt one of the best baggy bands. They should have been huge. Shame how heroin ripped through them. Amazes me how Shaun Ryder is still alive when you look at the demise of flowered up. Great band though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, eastynh said:

Doves will do it at their secret set ?

Did they do it last night at Heaton Park? I had arranged to take my 15 year old nephew to see Xmen last night. All day I was sat there thinking should I go Heaton Park and take him to that instead. In the end I decided against it and went to the pictures. My sister lives in Heywood and driving back to Newton Heath I went past Heaton Park. It was absolutely bouncing down. Everyone coming out the park looked utterly drenched and thoroughly unhappy. Looks like I made the right decision. Xmen was better than the reviews gave it credit for as well.

Don't joke about that!

I also swerved it.. thankfully, so I couldn't tell you. Won tickets to watch The Charlatans play in Pretty Green :ph34r:

They didn't play it when I went to the Warrington comeback gig in March though

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Hehehe, very good takedown of the Inspirals on the latest Chart Music podcast.

Saw the inspirals in 1990 headlining Reading and they were so far out of their depth

They should not have been headlining anything in 1990 really. Shows how ridiculous the Madchester hype got. Most of their good work lay ahead of them at that stage. 

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Without doubt one of the best baggy bands. They should have been huge. Shame how heroin ripped through them. Amazes me how Shaun Ryder is still alive when you look at the demise of flowered up. Great band though.

Tragic. Heartbreaking. The only thing i take from it that they can never reform and piss on their legacy. Sometimes it really is better to burn out than fade away

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Don't joke about that!

I also swerved it.. thankfully, so I couldn't tell you. Won tickets to watch The Charlatans play in Pretty Green :ph34r:

They didn't play it when I went to the Warrington comeback gig in March though

Charlatans are always good value.

I have not seen Doves play since they supported New Order at Old Trafford. Looking forward to seeing them at Kendal.

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They should not have been headlining anything in 1990 really. Shows how ridiculous the Madchester hype got. Most of their good work lay ahead of them at that stage. 

Absolutely spot on. Not really part of that movement, musically. They got more interesting as they went on and threw off the shackles of the madchester thing.

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Absolutely spot on. Not really part of that movement, musically. They got more interesting as they went on and threw off the shackles of the madchester thing.

Madchester = Southern based media invention by journalists who had absolutely no idea what was happening in the clubs. Built the bands up and then could not wait to stab them in the back. The real story was acid house and the emergence of the rave scene. That was no good for the rock weeklies though.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hehehe, very good takedown of the Inspirals on the latest Chart Music podcast.

Saw the inspirals in 1990 headlining Reading and they were so far out of their depth

I saw them at Shiiiiiiiine at Butlins a few years ago - so you'll be pleased to hear that they've settled nicely into their level now.

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Madchester = Southern based media invention by journalists who had absolutely no idea what was happening in the clubs. Built the bands up and then could not wait to stab them in the back. The real story was acid house and the emergence of the rave scene. That was no good for the rock weeklies though.

Well I think that lots of bands from the NW (and wider afield) were all too happy to jump on that bandwagon. More than willing to be complicit in it. But yeah, the weeklies really didn’t know how to write about anything that wasn’t 4 lads in a band. They never really got to grips with the rise of the dj and rave culture at all. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I saw them at Shiiiiiiiine at Butlins a few years ago - so you'll be pleased to hear that they've settled nicely into their level now.

Was that with Stephen Holt singing? He seems a nice fella and I know he was the original singer, but it is just not the same without Tom Hingley singing.

Last went to Baggy Mondays at Kendal a couple of years ago. I couldn't understand why they kept dropping snippets of hip hop / rnb classics in between tracks, before playing over them with the usual guff. Having to endure the Soup Dragons at an indie disco for the 1000th time is bad enough, don't make it worse by teasing something decent before playing it!

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Well I think that lots of bands from the NW (and wider afield) were all too happy to jump on that bandwagon. More than willing to be complicit in it. But yeah, the weeklies really didn’t know how to write about anything that wasn’t 4 lads in a band. They never really got to grips with the rise of the dj and rave culture at all. 

I think the thing that annoys me most about the Madchester tag is the fact than most bands labelled with it don't get the credit that their music deserves, because the coverage was saturated with any band who had a tenuous connection to Manchester.  There was an awful lot of good and diverse music from that period that was just all bundled together. A lot of it is now ridiculed, where as the shoe gazing stuff that came after is seen as hip and trendy, even though none of it is a patch on some of the baggy/Madchester era stuff. Then there is the fact acts like 808 state, A Guy Called Gerald and so on, hardly got any credit at all in the weeklies, even though they were changing the face of music.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Was that with Stephen Holt singing? He seems a nice fella and I know he was the original singer, but it is just not the same without Tom Hingley singing.

Yes indeed - it was good fun for what it was though I’ve never really been a super-fan or anything!

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

I was at that, I recall there being lots of drummers on stage.

Looking back at the lineup, it wasn't as bad as I remember though the best thing of the weekend was Half Man Half Biscuit. Still not forgiven Jane's Addiction for not turning up.