Where are you camping?

Bunbow

15 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

First timer here...am I ignorant to think that there will be room for a 2 person tent in Pennard or Park Home when we arrive via coach at 8pm Wed evening?

As long as it's not too big you'll find a gap somewhere if you search around - we woke up to a two man across our door in '17 (Park Home), they'd literally squeezed into the tiniest gap. Someone tried to pitch on the slight embankment on the edge too but that didn't work out!

On 6/9/2019 at 10:07 PM, pauladam said:

sod all in Baileys which is its biggest drawback, (although there is sometimes a coffee stall thing at the top of the field). ....so yeah, bimble along to Park is option one or there is usually a sit-in breakfast place at the bottom of the hill in Paines Ground I think (next to the lock up)

We’re usually in Paines but won’t be arriving until Thursday lunch this year, so if that’s full then Baileys or South Park it is. 

A cup of tea without trekking too far would be nice, but it’s not the be-all-and-end-all. 

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

We’re usually in Paines but won’t be arriving until Thursday lunch this year, so if that’s full then Baileys or South Park it is. 

A cup of tea without trekking too far would be nice, but it’s not the be-all-and-end-all. 

We are definitely planning on being in Baileys again, however we do have a minor change in parking this year as one of our group has just informed us that as they have a blue disabled parking badge and have registered it with the Glasto Accessibility team we will be using the accessible car park which is up at pgA! - Thats a fair walk down (up?? memory is fuzzy) to baileys from there (ok cant complain....the usual walk from the normal car park to PGD was pretty hard going!!)....so the final destination will be weather permitting :)

Hawkwell as per our last 3 visits - behind the London underground tent! Bit of a scramble up the hill but nice and 'out of the way' so not too noisy, and minimal foot traffic so less mud :) Also can watch bands on the Pyramid from our tent (as I did with Royal Blood in 2016 when my afternoon nap overran :( )

The first time I went (2014), camped somewhere near JP after getting off the coach and wanting minimal walking - had no clue what we were doing! :) 

1 minute ago, gratefulbread said:

Might anybody have any tips/recommended routes for heading to the west car parks driving from the north east. 

Camp in Paines and driving from Northumberland for the first time (usually coach from London). 

Many thanks in advance ?

If you come via the M5 that should bring you to the west carparks

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, Purple aki squat said:

Where’s this route?

I always end up going through silver Hayes which is a pain in the arse.

I think it's roughly if you follow the purple line from the Pyramid,  through The Woods, past John Peel then above Woodsies. This might be a completely normal route, but it's always quiet for us. Perhaps a bit quicker than Silver Hayes in my experience.

image.thumb.png.150d59084acd66472344d97f2469a1b8.png

Camped in Oxylers a few years back, seemed alright, no hassle in there and not too far to walk from car park or the stages. No sure where to go this time, maybe Pennards Hill, although I have no idea what the criteria is for where people select to camp.. any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, Casper86 said:

maybe Pennards Hill, although I have no idea what the criteria is for where people select to camp.. any suggestions? 

I’ve always parked myself about two thirds of the way up, in the Park side of the field, a couple of tents in from the central walkthrough. 

1 minute ago, Jah_Roots said:

couple of years ago they banned crew from camping there (don't know if this is actually true, i overhead someone say it whilst waiting for breakfast up there).

It's been banned as long as I can remember, they just started enforcing it a bit more proactively ~5 years ago. Nowadays security do a sweep of the site (especially the popular camping fields) on the Tuesday Evening and remove any tents they find.

Doesn't stop a small number getting up early first thing Wednesday and moving their tents before the public can get there, but I assume most people figure why bother.

24 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Will i be alright getting in park home or pennard as long as im in that overnight queue by like midnight? can't work out whether these places are as busy as people say or if im there that early will be no problem 

You should be able to get to anywhere if you're queued at that time!  You are aiming for places that will fill up, so it always depends on what others plan too and how much stuff you're bringing with you - but being in the queue at midnight you 'should' have your pick.  More people seem to be joining the queue Tuesday evening, but still the vast majority arrive on Wednesday (my guess would be 6am-10am would account for most people).

Edited by p.pete

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

You should be able to get to anywhere if you're queued at that time!  You are aiming for places that will fill up, so it always depends on what others plan too and how much stuff you're bringing with you - but being in the queue at midnight you 'should' have your pick.  More people seem to be joining the queue Tuesday evening, but still the vast majority arrive on Wednesday (my guess would be 6am-10am would account for most people).

Cheers for you help, we did it in 2016 but after the hours sat in traffic jams a mile out of the site and then being sat in pouring rain all evening we all said never again. This year we planned for 5/6am arrival and have just kept taking ourselves into earlier and earlier and now we’re going for it again haha. Hopefully get set in pennard or park home

Arriving by coach with 14 and 11 year olds on Thursday afternoon.  Want somewhere close to Gate A that will have space for a large tent and be quiet for sleeping.  We have narrowed it down to Darble and Wicket Ground.

Worried that Wicket Ground might be noisy with younger kids by early morning, whereas we'll be wanting to stay up and get up fairly late (my 14 year old son wants to see South East Corner on Friday after Jon Hopkins, Arcadia on Saturday and Glade on Sunday).  

Anyone camped in either and able to recommend?

16 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Arriving by coach with 14 and 11 year olds on Thursday afternoon.  Want somewhere close to Gate A that will have space for a large tent and be quiet for sleeping.  We have narrowed it down to Darble and Wicket Ground.

Worried that Wicket Ground might be noisy with younger kids by early morning, whereas we'll be wanting to stay up and get up fairly late (my 14 year old son wants to see South East Corner on Friday after Jon Hopkins, Arcadia on Saturday and Glade on Sunday).  

I camped in Darble in 2017 and it was good.  I literally walked for a couple of minutes through Gate A and dumped my tent as soon as I got to Camp Solo.  Not a bad walk to the stages. But it is a long way from SE corner but if the ground is ok you just meander back taking in the sights.  The walk back is not so good in a muddy year

24 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I'd consider south park 1 and 2! Perfect for your late night destinations and quiet