Best place to get a curry!

Cooter

9 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Agreed. Always at Kendal Calling too and used to be at T in the Park back in the day. Always excellent:-)

One of the few decent places to eat at TiTP if I remember correctly...

Day before we leave for the festival I always cook and freeze a Thai chicken panang.

Sainsbury's Just Cook paste which imo is one of the best. Chicken thighs not breasts, light coconut milk, lime leaves, hot chillies, coriander, fish sauce, brown sugar, dwarf runner beans or mange tout and in the last few secs of cooking cherry tomatoes. Normally no onions but depends what sort of mood I'm in.

Stays frozen for a couple of days. Once defrosted simmer slowly over the gas while enjoying the Pilton sunset and slurping ice cold Wyld Wood cider.

• Upvote 1

There's currently no plan to provide a poster of food vendors, but the info points should be able to find a name, but probably not the cuisine. I got a reply back.

Thank you for your email. We have over 500 food traders onsite therefore providing Festival goers with a list is not helpful as they cover such a large geographical area and are labelled by market name so unless you were familiar with all the markets, it could prove difficult find them. There are 5 Festival Information points across the site who will have access to a list of traders should you be looking for something specific.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

There's currently no plan to provide a poster of food vendors, but the info points should be able to find a name, but probably not the cuisine. I got a reply back.

Thank you for your email. We have over 500 food traders onsite therefore providing Festival goers with a list is not helpful as they cover such a large geographical area and are labelled by market name so unless you were familiar with all the markets, it could prove difficult find them. There are 5 Festival Information points across the site who will have access to a list of traders should you be looking for something specific.

When I tried this the information point staff didn't know where the particular market areas where - so whilst they could tell me the trader I was looking for was in Saxon (I think), they couldn't tell me where Saxon was. 

I thanked them and turned to walk off - at which point I saw the place I was looking for opposite the information point... 

1 minute ago, hurdy said:

When I tried this the information point staff didn't know where the particular market areas where - so whilst they could tell me the trader I was looking for was in Saxon (I think), they couldn't tell me where Saxon was. 

I thanked them and turned to walk off - at which point I saw the place I was looking for opposite the information point... 

So the info point staff didn't actually even know where they were!

On 6/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, Comfy Bean said:

Agreed. Always at Kendal Calling too and used to be at T in the Park back in the day. Always excellent:-)

They've opened a cafe in my village so I don't have to wait for festivals. They do a more varied menu too, but I always end up having a thali. The other stuff looks amazing too

On 6/7/2019 at 6:39 PM, hurdy said:

I think Saxon is the market on the path that leads from the RHS of the pyramid/beat hotel area to the other stage

On 6/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, frostypaw said:

Tastiest curry thing I remember on site was the Chapati Man chicken wraps. Can't remember having a really good whole plateful of curry since the end of Breadies though. Lots of nice samosas though, the place near the other stage/silver hayes fork were particularly lip smacking

I think you've inspired a mission this year. Will have to find the Peckish Peacock and more

http://www.chapatiman.co.uk/blog/

6 hours ago, simonizer said:

That's the one! Hoping they'll be back. Good humoured too - still giggling at the year some northern lads turned up to try and order just after us but couldn't get their mouths around saying the word "chapati" and had a meltdown in hysterics at each other instead of food. Counter guy just grinned away, bet he'd heard all sorts of failed attempts over the years

On 6/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, carlosj said:

Just to say at our training for Festival Info they showed a map with all the market areas named up (think it was only the last festival where they had specific names) - so hopefully the market area map will be somewhere in the bible we’ve got on the desk.

Though I think a couple of the market areas are split over a bigger geographical location.

Can’t remember if we also have a grid reference for each trader (last time I volunteered was pre-child in 2014)...

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Opinions may vary, but AFAIC Edinburgh only has two genuinely top notch purveyors of Indian food.

Food from both of them is now resting in my freezer awaiting Suicide Tuesday and Self Pity Wednesday.

Out of curiosity what are your two? 

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mother India for curry and Kebabish on Dalry Road for North Indian / Pakistani bbq. 

I'm prepared to argue the merits of other good options like Tanjore, Kalpna, Dishoom and new kid on the block Rustom.

Cheers.  Never tried Kebabish (will do now) and Mother India is also my number 1. 

1 hour ago, Sara_out_west said:

Just to say at our training for Festival Info they showed a map with all the market areas named up (think it was only the last festival where they had specific names) - so hopefully the market area map will be somewhere in the bible we’ve got on the desk.

Though I think a couple of the market areas are split over a bigger geographical location.

Can’t remember if we also have a grid reference for each trader (last time I volunteered was pre-child in 2014)...

Thanks. That will come in handy.

3 minutes ago, Stanton said:

Cheers.  Never tried Kebabish (will do now) and Mother India is also my number 1. 

It's a bit tatty, but it's BYOB and generally popular with local Pakistani heritage families and community groups. The Anglo-Indian curry options are probably pants but they do ace BBQ and somewhat less common NW frontier dishes like nihari and haleem.