Child based logistics

Fat envelope

Hi all,

We've done smaller fests but my wife and I are heading down from Yorkshire as complete noobs this year so have been looking through various topics which have been a great help. One or two questions however:

We are bringing our two kids (10 and 8 ) so wondering if we are better driving overnight on Tues and joining/suffering the 4hr+ queues to get in, or whether we would still get a family friendly camping spot should we push it back a day and arrive later on the Weds - would traffic/queues to get in be less at this time?

Also, no valuables will be left in the tent, but hoping we don't get any visitors whilst we are sleeping due to kids getting scared. Is hooking something through the zips on the inside a good idea to ward off any chancers?

1 hour ago, Fat envelope said:

Hi all,

We've done smaller fests but my wife and I are heading down from Yorkshire as complete noobs this year so have been looking through various topics which have been a great help. One or two questions however:

We are bringing our two kids (10 and 8 ) so wondering if we are better driving overnight on Tues and joining/suffering the 4hr+ queues to get in, or whether we would still get a family friendly camping spot should we push it back a day and arrive later on the Weds - would traffic/queues to get in be less at this time?

Also, no valuables will be left in the tent, but hoping we don't get any visitors whilst we are sleeping due to kids getting scared. Is hooking something through the zips on the inside a good idea to ward off any chancers?

I haven't camped in family camping, so I can't advise on how quickly it will fill up. To make the journey more bearable all round, could you look to spend the night somewhere cheap on the way down? Get there at a sensible time, have a decent nights sleep and then head off early doors to Glasto?

In terms of warding off unwanted chancers, I really don't think that would happen. 

Unfortunately, we have a secondary school opening evening on the Tues evening so that has buggered our plans a little as we could have stayed eith relatives otherwise!?! They are used to sleeping in the car as we drive overnight to the SW regularly, but the bigger concern was standing around in the queue trying to get in! 

're. The chancers, I have previously had someone come looking whilst I have been asleep at other festivals, hence the paranoia and a few posts on here had mentioned it happening. Just thought perhaps making the zip slightly harder to open might put off the opportunist

Edited by Fat envelope

Cockmill fills up really quickly, usually by about 11 I’d say. I’ve heard good things about the other family camping though (Wickets I think). There will still be space there later on the Wednesday ? 

use the lock ups for anything valuable, they’re free and easier to get to than your tent if you’re camped quite far out x 

Thanks - do queues to get in tend to die down after the initial rush? Say if we arrived Weds evening?

Yeah, nothing will be left in the tent - the main concern was the kids being scared out of their wits as the eldest has had previous issued with being terrified of burglars, rather than the actual issue of being robbed if that makes sense

yeah there won’t be much of a queue Wednesday evening. 

Ah, ok. It’s a much different atmosphere on the family camping fields so hopefully if you get to know your neighbours the kids will feel pretty comfortable ? I’ve never had any issues in the years I’ve been. 

You won't get in Cockmill unless you're in by 12 on Wednesday.

Wicket Ground will be fine though, downside is that it's further away from kids stuff

There was minimal traffic when we arrived about noon on Wednesday in 2017 travelling in from M5/Glastobury town. We drove straight in to the west car parking. We then queued for ca. 45mins to get in at Gate A which is the best point of access for the Wicket family camping area. I remember the Wicket area being segregated with metal fencing to provide enhanced security for families and it had plenty of space available that afternoon. If events repeat this year it would be a good choice if you wish to avoid the morning rush.

Regarding tent robbing....I've never had an issue at Glastonbury in all the years I've been attending. It is one of the safest fests and crime is very low.

Thanks everyone. For the sake of sanity and a bit extra walking, I'm thinking to get there on Weds pm and head to Wicket. Will give us an extra night in comfort at home if nothing else!

Being a bit further from the kids specific stuff might be a blessing anyway if we don't want to spend all weekend there ?

2 hours ago, Fat envelope said:

Thanks everyone. For the sake of sanity and a bit extra walking, I'm thinking to get there on Weds pm and head to Wicket. Will give us an extra night in comfort at home if nothing else!

Being a bit further from the kids specific stuff might be a blessing anyway if we don't want to spend all weekend there ?

Yup as others have said cockmill will be full by weds lunchtime. I was at the front of the que the other year and it was half full when I got in so I suspect there's a few inside  putting tents up for mates when the gates open. 

Personally I'd never do the Tuesday night qué again with or without kids. Can book a nice hotel nearby and rock up about 12 straight in and put your tent in about 90% of the camping space. 2 or 3 of the most popular spots will be busy but you have the pick of almost anywhere else. 

I used to camp in wickets before it became the kids field and it was ok. Nice and quiet. There's also a decent kids field in the Greenpeace area as well 

22 hours ago, bigbilly said:

Yup as others have said cockmill will be full by weds lunchtime. I was at the front of the que the other year and it was half full when I got in so I suspect there's a few inside  putting tents up for mates when the gates open. 

Personally I'd never do the Tuesday night qué again with or without kids. Can book a nice hotel nearby and rock up about 12 straight in and put your tent in about 90% of the camping space. 2 or 3 of the most popular spots will be busy but you have the pick of almost anywhere else. 

I used to camp in wickets before it became the kids field and it was ok. Nice and quiet. There's also a decent kids field in the Greenpeace area as well 

On 6/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, Fat envelope said:

We camped in Wicket in 2017. It’s very safe and the fences are always up round it. It’s different to other festivals and genuinely family group camping. We will also travel down Weds as I would be in a hellish mood if I did the Tuesday night drive down from the North West. Wicket will have plenty of space throughout Weds. In case you didn’t know, aim to drive in from the west and enter the site by Gate A. Two trips to and from the car are also advisable, rather than one. Greenpeace Kids Field is also great by the way and right next to loads of other stuff. Hope you have a great festival. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:53 PM, bigbilly said:

We camped in Cockmill a few years back now, and we cheated!  I took my eldest, and stayed in East Campervan on the Tuesday night.  Come Wed. morning, we were pretty much the front of the line (give or take a hundred punters) as was the way it was at the time, before the carpark people were let in!

We got a decent spot on the edge (towards the hedge on the right of the map of the field).  I've no idea how anyone "normal" could make it into that field though!  It was the only time we tried as a family, and it was *very* competitive. 

it was very quiet though, compared to our previous camping in Kidney Mead.  Bit "kidsy" though (as in, children running over your site all the time) and very "staff-ie" (as posted, mates putting up tents - we were surrounded by crew families).

What would I do this year?  (I'm in Campervan West this time).  I can't say, as I am uber competitive.  (I like the chase).

I wouldn't go for Cockmills.  Personally, I found it very "clique-ly".  If I wasn't going for the chase, I'd go with the above option - relax.  Go with the flow.  In 2017, it took me 3 hours to get in (via campervan east, around 1100).  Less stressful would be the people coming in around 1400 on the Wed, I suspect.

Pylon, Rivermead & Bushy seem to be the late ones to fill. 

Don't stress about the tents.  Tie the zips if it will help them sleep. They shouldn't need the comfort, as they'll be exhausted, but it may help them relax too. 

I’ge Camped in Cockmill twice (with our baby then when she became a toddler). It’s a nice place to camp but does fill up fairly quickly. 

I’ve been to Glastonbury 10 times and my husband has been 18 times and neither of us have ever been robbed. 

Have a lovely festival