Crowd Tolerance

Chef

22 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Just finished reading this thread and I notice a lot of people mentioning backpacks.  Did anyone else suffer from people attaching stainless steel bottles to their bags so they swung free - bloody hell they hurt when they whacked you!  I don't think people were aware of how much they were swinging and what a force they build up by doing so!

I always made sure mine was in my side pocket of my backpack so that didn't happen. 

Edited by gigpusher

On 05 July 2019 at 9:59 AM, Gnomicide said:

My only trip to SE corner was because they've now annoyingly included Avalon in it so had to go through the one way system to get in there. Didn't see any queues to get in though.

The main problem was I wanted to get to Caberet after being in Avalon so had to leave via the railway track and walk all the way round.

I also got seriously caught out by that.

Thought I'd head home via Avalon and down (hill wise. I guess it's up if looking at the map) through Cabaret, but nope. Back you go.

Really pissed me off as it seemed pointless at the time. But I wanted to get back to camp, not to SE corner. Guess they didn't want SE goers steaming through Avalon (maybe?).

On 05 July 2019 at 1:29 PM, gmb1992 said:

I reckon they could do with a bit of a shake up.

I miss the alleyways and micro venues, when you'd walk in a door and literally not know what was on the other side... maybe a bar, maybe a story teller, maybe a shrine to Lionel Richie,  maybe people dressed in lab coats with rat masks on making you do different types of tests (True story) !

I never miss a chance to reminisce about The Dog Faced Geisha Girl Bar.

At the pyramid this year on the right of it there was some kind of crowd control that I’d not seen before the people entering the field were being directed slightly away from the stage by a line of people with foam hands leaving a nice clear exit along the line of the food stalls ... seemed to work quite well :) 

On 6/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, mouserat said:

Everyone should ideally stand where they are most likely to be surrounded by like-minded people.

If you're going to be going to the bar every five minutes, stand where you can get to the bar easily, not at the very front where you'll be constantly pushing through people. Same goes for the toilet.

If you're going to be throwing yourself into people with reckless abandon, that's fine as long as you're near the front where that behaviour is expected. Don't be doing it at the back where people are trying to have a bit more personal space.

If you want to dance, be somewhere less crowded/packed than the very front or you won't have enough space.

If you want to talk, don't be in the middle of the die-hard fans singing every word.

If you've got a bag that you've put on the floor, don't stand in the middle of a soon-to-be mosh pit.

And if you've brought a chair to sit on, don't plant yourself directly in front of the Pyramid stage and expect people not to block your view.

Best post of the thread by far. I applaud you.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I also got seriously caught out by that.

Thought I'd head home via Avalon and down (hill wise. I guess it's up if looking at the map) through Cabaret, but nope. Back you go.

Really pissed me off as it seemed pointless at the time. But I wanted to get back to camp, not to SE corner. Guess they didn't want SE goers steaming through Avalon (maybe?).

On Thursday night we tried to go from West Holts to Avalon Cafe and were blocked at the bottom of the field. I get that they were controlling SE corner access, but why not place the block between Avalon and Block 9 instead of between Avalon and Cabaret? Also, when we said we were trying to get to the Avalon Cafe, the stewards advised us to go via the SE corner route (we ignored this and went back round via Greenpeace and the track). If the basic problem is crowding in SE corner, why add to that by routing people who actually want the Avalon through it? 

Had a proper barney with a woman who was particularly angry with me between acts for standing on the corner of the massive blanket she had laid on the ground. Suggested that she may like to go and make love to herself. 

The security forming a line at side of pyramid was a new one for me too and a bit of a hassle just coming back from the toilet. Easily circumnavigated however