Crowd Tolerance

Chef

Thought there was a fair bit less courteous movement through the crowd - towards the end of Vampire Weekend on Pyramid someone rather forcefully shoved me out of the way which lead to a rather loud shout of "Prick!". Seemed to be at its worst on Sunday, maybe the locals were just particularly rowdy this year!

5 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Only issue we had was when the killers finished and it was grid lock down the front, everyone shuffling to leave as you do,  then this group of about 20 all holding hands in a line obviously had to be somewhere a lot, lot  quicker than everyone else 

I did see a lot of people panicking/coming up, trying to get everyone together and racing to the SE Corner after the headliners finished. The place is empty at 11.30pm and insanely busy at midnight. 

Said it before but they need to bin most of the SE corner and start again. Ten years now. Its had its day.

Loads of idiots sitting on the floor in the front section before both The Killers and (to a lesser extent) The Cure, all looking outraged if someone stepped over them or nudged them as they tried to get past. I had a go at them but was just ignored or abused.

20190629_205924.thumb.jpg.1078e2789d2fdb7beaf73d7762883fb7.jpg

20190629_204329.thumb.jpg.5a18f0833b4c7b7253ab9733f28b918e.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I did see a lot of people panicking/coming up, trying to get everyone together and racing to the SE Corner after the headliners finished. The place is empty at 11.30pm and insanely busy at midnight. 

Said it before but they need to bin most of the SE corner and start again. Ten years now. Its had its day.

I never bother with it anymore. Too busy.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Loads of idiots sitting on the floor in the front section before both The Killers and (to a lesser extent) The Cure, all looking outraged if someone stepped over them or nudged them as they tried to get past. I had a go at them but was just ignored or abused.

Every year yep. Biggest concert of the year anywhere really and theres always a group. Before the Stones in 2013 there was a few on chairs very close to the front getting really annoyed that people were walking through and standing in front of them. I think they were after a cinema type experience!

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I never bother with it anymore. Too busy.

Too busy and theres fuck all there aswell. A few DJs and some plastic walls. Everyone uncomfortable due to the crowds and totally mashed. 

IICON stage is incredible though. They should build a new SE corner around that. 

18 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Only issue we had was when the killers finished and it was grid lock down the front, everyone shuffling to leave as you do,  then this group of about 20 all holding hands in a line obviously had to be somewhere a lot, lot  quicker than everyone else and just decided to barge through everyone. The lead just pushing men, women, teens, kids out of the way, even knocking someone off their feet.  I used the C word rather loudly when they barged past me.

Think I may have encountered the same chain! 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't have a massive issue with that if it's between sets, especially when it's as hot as it was last weekend.  But yeah, you don't get to look pissy if people are coming through.

My only trip to SE corner was because they've now annoyingly included Avalon in it so had to go through the one way system to get in there. Didn't see any queues to get in though.

The main problem was I wanted to get to Caberet after being in Avalon so had to leave via the railway track and walk all the way round.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't have a massive issue with that if it's between sets, especially when it's as hot as it was last weekend.  But yeah, you don't get to look pissy if people are coming through.

Between other sets maybe but not when the next one up is the headliner, it was obvious all those stood up were packing in pretty tightly and loads more were trying to squeeze through. Particular favourite moment was when a youngish girl trod squarely on one of the sitters ankles as she stepped through them. The boyfriend of the girl who was stood on had a go at her only to be told it was their own fault for sitting there. They stood up pretty soon after.

I encountered a group of absolute inconsiderate dicks at The Cure. Barging into people constantly and 2 of them were rolling about on the floor. A couple next to me got their stuff and moved because of them. They weren't even watching the band, just really being a nuisance.

Aside from that, everyone was great.. as is usually the case at Glastonbury 

Saw a different side to the Glasto crowds during Annie Mac at BBC Introducing on the Thursday. The tent was completely rammed (think equivalent of Killers on JP due to its size) and lots of people were trying to squeeze through - people were getting crushed on the sides of the tent and eventually you couldn't move. The tent was obviously beyond capacity but the health and safety staff didn't want to get involved.

Someone in front of me had enough and stopped letting people past, only to be verbally abused by a bunch of 18 year old women. Annie's set should've been on JP, or at least Williams Green.

Crowds were always fine until about 6:30/7 every day. After that time some of the chatters became really annoying and often it was at acts where it was much trickier to move. It seemed like a lot of groups started meeting up during that time and were more interested in regaling each other with stories of their day than listening to the act they were at. During Michael Kiwanuka I had to move 3 times to get a spot where I could hear him and not others conversations and ended up nowhere near my husband. At Kate Tempest I was quite near the front and still had a group behind and a group in front who were chatting. I actually asked one of them to be quiet and it had no effect. It seems to be a massive problem everywhere though as last night at Janelle Monae and had the same issue and that's people who have paid £35 purely for her set. I'm not sure what I can do about this because whilst I try to be quite chilled it really is something that gets me in such a rage. 

I also had one person stand on my foot and when I said ow by which point he had gone past me he said chill out you have thick boots on which means he knew there wasn't room to get through there and had deliberately decided to stand on my foot as a way forward. If by any chance he is on here then a. yes it did hurt because they are walking shoes but really cheap ones with no enforced toe area and b. if you stand on someone's foot and they say it hurts the only acceptable answer to give without being a complete knob is sorry.  

I have a fear of being hemmed in so I am never at the front of any set.. I like  mid position at the back.  I'm afraid I do normally have one of those chairs as I have a dodgy hip so try and keep out of the way and solo  .

I enjoy over seeing the vista and people watching and generally taking in the atmosphere, long gone are the days for me going mental at the front ..the thought of not getting an easy exit out fills me with panic .

I must say though once I've stood up most times the chairs gets folded up and I'll use t to take the weight off a bit but to give someone room to get through then they stop bang in front so I have to move again is extremely rude 

I very rarely confront anyone  as it's usually pointless unless they were doing harm so someone , in which I doubt I'd be alone voicing my opinion 

100% fine until The Streets when some guy was deliberately moving side to side to block me from getting past his mates. It was about 20 minutes + before the performance started and there was room to get past. Then when I just moved him to the side since he wouldn't allow me to get past, his mate kicked off big time. Would've been solved by his mate not drunkenly stopping me from going past for no reason. Ah well. 

Totally ruined what was about to be my favourite part of the weekend since Original Pirate Material is probably my most meaningful album, since it's helped me through some shit times.

Other than that, fantastic. The smiling faces and literally everyone going for it at Inner City will live with me for a long time. Glasto crowd is far, far better than any other UK festival or club. 

Edited by magliad

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Every year yep. Biggest concert of the year anywhere really and theres always a group. Before the Stones in 2013 there was a few on chairs very close to the front getting really annoyed that people were walking through and standing in front of them. I think they were after a cinema type experience!

Too busy and theres fuck all there aswell. A few DJs and some plastic walls. Everyone uncomfortable due to the crowds and totally mashed. 

IICON stage is incredible though. They should build a new SE corner around that. 

I did go down and have a look at IICON during the day and it did look mightily impressive.

48 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

20190629_205924.thumb.jpg.1078e2789d2fdb7beaf73d7762883fb7.jpg

20190629_204329.thumb.jpg.5a18f0833b4c7b7253ab9733f28b918e.jpg

It was the same before miley. That was my only gripe.

They were all about under about 22 and I wondered if it was an age thing?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s time for some friendly advice being put on the screens or stewards in the crowd during rammed pyramid performances regarding chairs, picnic rugs, having a kip etc especially from the front of stage back to the sound towers.  It was really busy at the rear during Kylie, Miley yet I was told that there was more space half way down but this was inaccessible . Remember that such artists attract kids and having adult groups setting up close to the stage taking up massive amounts of space with their chairs etc is inconsiderate and selfish. 

Other festivals actually ban such activity near the stage . Chairs etc only at the back.  During the killers there was five lads with those inflatable couch things, must have taken up 20 square metres of precious space. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Between other sets maybe but not when the next one up is the headliner, it was obvious all those stood up were packing in pretty tightly and loads more were trying to squeeze through. 

Fair point, well made.  I'll give you that one :)

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I did go down and have a look at IICON during the day and it did look mightily impressive.

Aye, did that on Thursday and it looked bloody good. Think Sat was the only night I ventured SE and it was great in full swing. I've pretty much stopped with the SEC due to crowding as well, but it wasn't too bad on Sat night at all. Block 9 at least.

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe, just maybe, it’s time for some friendly advice being put on the screens or stewards in the crowd during rammed pyramid performances regarding chairs, picnic rugs, having a kip etc especially from the front of stage back to the sound towers.  It was really busy at the rear during Kylie, Miley yet I was told that there was more space half way down but this was inaccessible . Remember that such artists attract kids and having adult groups setting up close to the stage taking up massive amounts of space with their chairs etc is inconsiderate and selfish. 

Other festivals actually ban such activity near the stage . Chairs etc only at the back.  During the killers there was five lads with those inflatable couch things, must have taken up 20 square metres of precious space. 

I do wonder if zones would be a good idea. I am someone who brings a chair but generally as soon as it gets busy I pack it away mainly because I personally feel too vulnerable having people going past them. I need it for lower back support but this year I still found I mainly just used it between acts and put it away. I also don't go near the Pyramid stage much at all. I saw 3 and a half acts there all weekend and the half was just to get a good spot for one of the acts I did like. I didn't use my chair there once but I have seen last year before Radiohead in the front section people expecting to be able to sit down and think it is completely unreasonable. 

Can I make a call for a quiet zone for people who want to listen to the music as well?? 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the SE Corner didn't seem as bad crowding wise to me as it has in previous years.

Might be way off, but I'd put this down to a combo of the shiny new Arcadia, complete with big name line up, and the constant heat meaning a decent number of people didn't have the energy for a late night rager.

8 minutes ago, waltere said:

Yeah the SE Corner didn't seem as bad crowding wise to me as it has in previous years.

Might be way off, but I'd put this down to a combo of the shiny new Arcadia, complete with big name line up, and the constant heat meaning a decent number of people didn't have the energy for a late night rager.

There was a fair bit of effort to make people aware of what else was on late night as well.  The after hours bit in the programme was definitely more explicit about what bars / stages / areas were open and until what time.  I know the Greenpeace Field under the DJ tree was much busier than I recall previously.

I thought it was less crowded too. Not only did I get straight in through the feeder lane in T&C both nights I visited, but only Shangri-La seemed at all crowded in any way. Other than IICON though, much was similar to 2017. The Cave had been modified and bits like Latino moved out, however Shangri-La was much the same in concept and layout.