Crowd Tolerance

Chef

Oh, The Talkers. Just why? Too often it's blatantly obvious from the inane conversation they're having that they have stuck something up their hooters.

Had a couple of blokes behind me at U2 at Glasto who did not shut up for about three songs before I finally turned 'round and politely enquired why the fuck they were even there if all they were going to do was waffle. It was then I realised that they were both half a foot taller and wider than me "hard" looking types and thought I was about to get punched. Thankfully they were pretty chill (in an "only laughed at me" type of way). They clearly didn't give a shit and wouldn't/couldn't shut up and I ended up moving (which as others have pointed out is often not as easy as some think it is).

Radiohead last time and same kind of scenario. Whispered/Mimed to them at the start of Exit Music (for a film) "Shh, this is a quiet one. Shh", and they got it, only to start gassing again as soon as it got a bit louder.

I could kind of understand if this was towards the back but these people had made the effort to get inside the barrier.

Some people just can't shut up though, can they? I'm sure we all know someone who just can't bear silence and are just naturally loquacious. I had to walk away from a mate at a The Darkness gig because he just can't shut up. We ended up meeting at the train station ("Oh, I got lost at the bar. Sorry").

(I am well aware of the irony that I am myself waffling on, and typing inanely here ;) )

BST last year for The Cure standing chatting to my sister, who's a bonny lass (she got the looks and brains in our family unlike me...). Crowd staring to move along one of then footpaths. All of a sudden her expression changes. She tells me someone has just grabbed her arse. Basically using the anonymity of a big crowd to be a pervert. I call out 'you effing pervert' but the culprit could not be seen. 

So lads, if you see a pretty girl you like at a fest at least have the balls to go and speak to her otherwise leave her the hell alone. Because if her 16 stone 6'3" big brother gets his hands on you then you'll be in a world of trouble. 

I've heard of other instances where women get sexually harassed at gigs and knowing it goes on spoils the atmosphere for all of us. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

I was at the Liam Gallagher film yesterday and Liam did a short gig afterwards.

About 2 songs in, this fairly intoxicated woman (IW) comes in near the front and tries to barge everyone including people on the barrier out of her way.

Anyway, someone tells her to stop and to move back. IW then punches her and the second woman’s boyfriend pours his drink on her and slams the cup in her face (thank god it was plastic).

IW starts punching the boyfriend and then he started choking her! In all this time security are just watching the whole thing.

Eventually, security intervened but IW just kept on going after the couple. Thankfully once the gig was over, the couple went off but IW kept on going “let me get them, no one messes with me”.

To me, as much as I hate talkers, no-one could say that talkers are worse than those people.

(Side note - Liam reckons every gig he’s done at Glastonbury was “well received” especially the Oasis ones)

Edited by aidenlangan95

45 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

BST last year for The Cure standing chatting to my sister, who's a bonny lass (she got the looks and brains in our family unlike me...). Crowd staring to move along one of then footpaths. All of a sudden her expression changes. She tells me someone has just grabbed her arse. Basically using the anonymity of a big crowd to be a pervert. I call out 'you effing pervert' but the culprit could not be seen. 

So lads, if you see a pretty girl you like at a fest at least have the balls to go and speak to her otherwise leave her the hell alone. Because if her 16 stone 6'3" big brother gets his hands on you then you'll be in a world of trouble. 

I've heard of other instances where women get sexually harassed at gigs and knowing it goes on spoils the atmosphere for all of us. 

It's been discussed a lot on here before but I don't know any women it hasn't happened to. Happened to me quite a few times. I don't think it really has anything to do with a guy thinking a girl is pretty and being too scared to approach her - it's just a scumbag move made by scumbags.

• Upvote 4

On the crowd thing more generally, talkers are the biggest issue for me these days. In my youth I would always be right down the front, getting into the pit for rock gigs or often on the front barrier. These days I can't hack the squashed crowds any more but the problem with being further back is you do get talkers. And I do think it's a bigger problem in London, but I don't really have the experience to compare. Bon Iver was especially bad the other weekend and we had to move about four times! Hopkins at Brixton last year had its moments too. I would always try to move rather than get into a confrontation, as I think that just risks souring the evening even more.

One thing that really does annoy me is when you are trying to get out of a crowd and people won't let you or are really arsy about it. Had that a few times. I understand if you're trying to push forward but if you're literally trying to get out (could be for any reason as far as they know, including something medical related) what is their beef? It actually makes me start to feel quite claustrophobic and panicky if I can't see a way out and people are blocking me. Just to add that I never intend to get into a crowded space and have to leave - it's more when a space isn't that crowded to start with and gradually becomes a bit unbearable. Let people out! It means more space for you as well.

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's been discussed a lot on here before but I don't know any women it hasn't happened to. Happened to me quite a few times. I don't think it really has anything to do with a guy thinking a girl is pretty and being too scared to approach her - it's just a scumbag move made by scumbags.

Totally. From an old fashioned blokes perspective I just think it reeks of cowardice. If you fancy a woman, and if she shows signs of interest, eye contact, a smile etc, just go say hello or leave her alone. 

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On the crowd thing more generally, talkers are the biggest issue for me these days. In my youth I would always be right down the front, getting into the pit for rock gigs or often on the front barrier. These days I can't hack the squashed crowds any more but the problem with being further back is you do get talkers. And I do think it's a bigger problem in London, but I don't really have the experience to compare. Bon Iver was especially bad the other weekend and we had to move about four times! Hopkins at Brixton last year had its moments too. I would always try to move rather than get into a confrontation, as I think that just risks souring the evening even more.

One thing that really does annoy me is when you are trying to get out of a crowd and people won't let you or are really arsy about it. Had that a few times. I understand if you're trying to push forward but if you're literally trying to get out (could be for any reason as far as they know, including something medical related) what is their beef? It actually makes me start to feel quite claustrophobic and panicky if I can't see a way out and people are blocking me. Just to add that I never intend to get into a crowded space and have to leave - it's more when a space isn't that crowded to start with and gradually becomes a bit unbearable. Let people out! It means more space for you as well.

this happened to me before friend feeling unwell trying to leave and this guy is. basically blocking way and staring me down when i'm leading her out I couldn't get my head around his attitude 

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

To be fair the average age of your typical Sheeran fan is about 15 so it’s pretty normal behaviour.

Weirdly, this gig felt mostly composed of people in their mid 20s on a day trip from Essex (I can slag it off, I'm from there)

Got to say I really don't understand the 'I'm stood here and I'm not moving, this is my space' attitude. People need to come and go, get out for a piss, get back in to their mates. Everyone should be a bit flexible and fluid, moving a foot this way or that way really is neither here nor there.

The exception to the rule are those people that you let past you and then they stop directly in front of you pretty much stood on your toes while occasionally glancing back at you like you should move back to give them space.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Titters said:

But... taking the Icelandic biscuit. Sigur Ros, headlining the JPT. Some chap barged past me and a hundred others to get to the front, so he could get his "Hold The Door" flag on the TV... Leaving half way through the set to go for a wee (barging past everyone again).. only to repeat the exercise again. 

That guy can do one . 

I remember seeing that guy, tool.

At a now discontinued Scottish festival there was a guy with a flag on a fairly lengthy pole (ooh err) which he used to put the flag into peoples faces. Don't think he was even paying attention to the act (Manics?) and continued to find this hilarious. He was too far back to do anything about but eventually stopped. Knowing this festival I imagine he got a (plastic cupped) pint to the head.

10 hours ago, Bza said:

When they did British Summer Time in Hyde Park I was constantly surrounded by what felt like Barclays traders on a corporate. Had to move 3 or 4 times to find a group not chatting shit. That festival is an absolute shower though. 

If they were talking about the level to set the LIBOR you are probably correct.

At the killers jp gig last glastonbury I had baby Ruby on my shoulders... 

Any there's everyone stood up apart from a small group of people who had decided that they would listen to the music lying down.. Each to there own 

Any I accidentally stepped on one blokes fingers.. Up he jumps squares up to me... And baby Ruby... Calls me a few words and thinking he's sorted it lays down again yakking to his mate about people not respecting his space 

I turned round passed my granddaughter other to her dad to went down to his level and pointed out that it was an accident, I was sorry, but now that he'd had a go at me whilst I had my granddaughter on shoulders he'd gone to far so would he be so nice as to stand up and do it again. 

Well cut a short story short and something I hadn't seen behind me there was a few people obviously also not in pressed with his behaviour.. 

So he thought about it and when I asked him again a lot more aggressively he said HE WAS SORRY for his reaction and we were cool.. 

I told him what for and that laying down in a crowd was a stupid idea anyway and left it at that. Only to turn round and see a few people agreeing with this advice and end to the situation 

Killers were good.. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

The exception to the rule are those people that you let past you and then they stop directly in front of you pretty much stood on your toes while occasionally glancing back at you like you should move back to give them space.

Agreed. I give these people a gentle but firm push with a head shaking, no, no.

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Got to say I really don't understand the 'I'm stood here and I'm not moving, this is my space' attitude. People need to come and go, get out for a piss, get back in to their mates. Everyone should be a bit flexible and fluid, moving a foot this way or that way really is neither here nor there.

I agree, but .... I feckin' hate it when you squeeze back out of the way to create some space for someone to get thru and they then stand in the space you were just stood in.

Edited by eFestivals

• 4 weeks later...

On the whole a good festival - found the crowd to be good natured and fun.

The only moment of frustration I had was at the start of the Killers a group barged their way through as they came on and decided to stop right in front of us taking up what very little space there was and more. One of the group then pulled a kick step out and they took it in turns to stand on it taking photos. 

Needless to say we didn't last long there and moved on. 

Probably the best crowds I've seen at the festival. The weather made everyone relaxed and chilled, people could sit down and the sound at the festival - which probably deserves its own thread - was top notch at every stage I was at. 

Apart from the power issues at Snapped Ankles in Strummerville. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Probably the best crowds I've seen at the festival.

I'll go with that. The good weather definitely makes people more chilled.

Don't recall being barged aside by daisy chains of kids trying to get through crowds, very little pissing in the wrong places, smiles aplenty.

Happy days.

Only issue we had was when the killers finished and it was grid lock down the front, everyone shuffling to leave as you do,  then this group of about 20 all holding hands in a line obviously had to be somewhere a lot, lot  quicker than everyone else and just decided to barge through everyone. The lead just pushing men, women, teens, kids out of the way, even knocking someone off their feet.  I used the C word rather loudly when they barged past me.