Crowd Tolerance

Chef

18 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Aye, got to be honest, singing out of tune is up there with dancing hilariously badly as something I admire in a gig goer.  To be fair, I am guilty of both, I have the co-ordination of a newly born deer and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

This thread....I name thee demon....crowd intolerance.

I don't mind dancing 'badly', after all one man's badly is another man's ballet.

It's those who dance and sway and rock entirely out if time, demonstrating a comprehensive lack of rhythm that I can't cope with! It's not that I am snobbish about this, looking down on them as musically inept**, it's that their lack of synchronicity with my movements and with what it is they're listening to is incredibly distracting!

Ben

** (It is, and I am)

Totally agree with the talking and the backpacks - in a sold out gig at Birmingham institute a few weeks ago a group of girls with backpacks squeezed in front of me and started bouncing up and down. Very uncomfortable and I can’t imagine why they each needed a backpack.

My other half has a thing about tall people pushing just in front of her although I think this is more a case of politeness. They have paid so have every right to stand further forward, but I’ve also seen some taller people realise they have just pushed in front of someone smaller and offered to switch places 

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

With singing, as with most things discussed on here, context is key. Bellowing along to the likes of Sprinty Dave and co or Oasis is fine, it's loud, everyone does it and it's generally considered part of the whole experience. You don't go to see certain bands for note perfect renditions. However for quieter, more intimate gigs or just certain songs it isn't appropriate to give your own rendition. Most people can tell when it is or isn't appropriate.

The one I'm still pissed off about was being at the RAH when Noel, Damon and Graham played Tender. I sat there thinking I was about to witness music history being made and couldn't hear a thing because of the c**t next to me shouting along to the entire thing!

I do agree with this - saw Noel at the Palladium recently and the Don't Look Back In Anger sing along at his gigs always feels like a moment.

I was at that RAH gig - that whole thing of Noel joining Damon and Graham was extremely underwhelming full stop. 

1 minute ago, Chef said:

I was at that RAH gig - that whole thing of Noel joining Damon and Graham was extremely underwhelming full stop. 

Yeah the way it was billed you thought Damon & Graham would be doing a full set and then joining Noel for a bit of a jam later...

The reality was Damon doing some weird poem while Graham half heartedly played along, Tender and then just a bog standard Noel gig.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So it seems that the main annoyance isn’t folk over enjoying the bands by exuberant dancing or being spaced out but it’s the tossers who insist on standing around talking at the top of their voices about their next holiday or what the best isa rates are at present stopping only to listen to a band when they play the one tune they recognise.

Predominantly upper middle class hoorays who just want to say that ‘I’ve done glasto you know’  why do they all have to be over six foot tall excluding their hats and then shuffle around so even if you move they still block your view. This is why I reckon that Mumford should be on every year preferably three times a day.  Might take these sorts away from the other stages. 

Possibly the strangest gig experience I've ever had was seeing Ed Sheeran in a stadium full of people who spent the *entire* gig having conversations, taking selfies (on selfie sticks!) and clowning around with their mates, occasionally paying attention enough to shout out "THEY SAY SHE'S IN THE CLASS A TEAM" half a second behind the music.

It felt like every single person had only come there to update their Instagram story.

4 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Possibly the strangest gig experience I've ever had was seeing Ed Sheeran in a stadium full of people who spent the *entire* gig having conversations, taking selfies (on selfie sticks!) and clowning around with their mates, occasionally paying attention enough to shout out "THEY SAY SHE'S IN THE CLASS A TEAM" half a second behind the music.

It felt like every single person had only come there to update their Instagram story.

To be fair the average age of your typical Sheeran fan is about 15 so it’s pretty normal behaviour.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's those who dance and sway and rock entirely out if time, demonstrating a comprehensive lack of rhythm that I can't cope with!

Ben

You do know that they are dancing in time and it is actually you that is out of time ;)

• Upvote 1

I remember being near front and centre in front of the sound desk for the U2 set in 2011. mid way through the set a scuffle had broken out and just to the right of me a small pocket of space had opened up with 2 middle aged men either side just stood there trading evil looks and sort of flexing at each other, this proceeded for at least 20 minutes of the set. Because it was right next to me it had completely taken my focus off of the band and I was nervously watching in case it turned violent. It completely ruined the mood of what was already a fairly miserable set in the rain. I wanted to move out of the way but the crowd was too thick to find more adequate space. What a nightmare. Luckily this is the only violence I have ever witnessed in 7 Glastonbury's. 

I'm on 5'4 so I make efforts to get into the crowd and set up so I can see a head of the crowd build up.  For some reason I must also have a beacon for anyone taller than me to decide that right in front of me is the best place to stand just before the gig starts, and the people around me part the crowd just to let them through...?

Ultimately frustrating but not much I can so.  Everyone paid the same ticket price. Noone is better / more deserving or meant to enjoy a gig in a certain way...and some people are just twats.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

There's an Urban Voodoo Machine with this printed on the back.

Screenshot_20190606-160820_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a05524c5d71d51cfd49608c5a62cd66f.jpg

The much loved, and even more missed, Brakes had a song called Hi, How Are You?, the lyrics of which were printed on the back of one of their t-shirts.

A t-shirt I always wanted and never obtained:

Hi, how are you?
What do you do?
What do you listen to?
Where do you go?
Are you with them or are you with us?
How do you dress?
Who are your friends?

Won't you shut the fuck up? I'm just trying to watch the band.

Perfect...

Ben

11 minutes ago, Peroni said:

I'm on 5'4 so I make efforts to get into the crowd and set up so I can see a head of the crowd build up.  For some reason I must also have a beacon for anyone taller than me to decide that right in front of me is the best place to stand just before the gig starts, and the people around me part the crowd just to let them through...?

Ultimately frustrating but not much I can so.  Everyone paid the same ticket price. Noone is better / more deserving or meant to enjoy a gig in a certain way...and some people are just twats.

I too have the same beacon. I hate when they turn up just as the act is starting and it's suddenly busy so you don't have time to move. Even worse when they then proceed to talk!!

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

The much loved, and even more missed, Brakes had a song called Hi, How Are You?, the lyrics of which were printed on the back of one of their t-shirts.

A t-shirt I always wanted and never obtained:

Hi, how are you?
What do you do?
What do you listen to?
Where do you go?
Are you with them or are you with us?
How do you dress?
Who are your friends?

Won't you shut the fuck up? I'm just trying to watch the band.

Perfect...

Ben

Ah man, I miss the Brakes. 

COMMA COMMA COMMA COMMA FULL STOP

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't mind dancing 'badly', after all one man's badly is another man's ballet.

It's those who dance and sway and rock entirely out if time..... it's that their lack of synchronicity with my movements and with what it is they're listening to is incredibly distracting!

How about a bit of out of time clapping? 

Surely you don't mind someone being enthusiastically loud and a quarter beat out?? 

Ben, come back, I was joking... 

Ben? 

4 minutes ago, Titters said:

How about a bit of out of time clapping? 

Surely you don't mind someone being enthusiastically loud and a quarter beat out?? 

Ben, come back, I was joking... 

Ben? 

One of my mates is incapable of "bouncing in time with the music". He's all over the shop. Drives me insane.

I've put up with some absolute weapons at gigs. I remember being at Beirut at Camden Roundhouse. Excellent gig, though the chap in front of me seemed less interested, turning to his mate at one point and shouting over the music... "DO YOU LIKE MY HAT?". 

After a Chemical Brothers gig I had a bruise on one shoulder where the chap behind me insisted on dancing like he was opening an awning outside a shop. 

But... taking the Icelandic biscuit. Sigur Ros, headlining the JPT. Some chap barged past me and a hundred others to get to the front, so he could get his "Hold The Door" flag on the TV... Leaving half way through the set to go for a wee (barging past everyone again).. only to repeat the exercise again. 

That guy can do one . 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bza said:

Had an incident down the front of the pyramid with a bloke who spent most of The National with his nose in the bag.

Firstly he started getting aggro with my mate. When I told him to chill out he got aggro with me, squaring up to me, Footballer's Headbutt then egging me on to hit him. Then he decided I was bullying him and started ranting about that. ?

After a few minutes of back and forth I just told him we were both here to watch the national so let's just enjoy it. He then decided to chew my ear off about how sorry he was and he was misunderstood and offered me about 10 handshakes and a go on his bag. 

Couldn't decide if overly aggro or overly apologetic was more annoying. 

Anyway, his mates eventually took him away and we enjoyed the rest of The National. 

Of all of the stories I’ve read on here that’s probably the most disconcerting. 

Its like the bully at school about whom you can never ever tell where exactly you stand, whether he’s being a c**t or being ‘nice’.

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Your book is messed up and needs to go and listen to a CD with headphones if you think singing is as out of order as talking.

Singing at the right times is great, what the guy I quoted described was not great