Crowd Tolerance

Chef

31 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Radiohead at Old Trafford in 2017, me and my mate we’re pretty close to the front and we’re having a bit of a dance to 15 Step, arguably the only song they played that evening that you could dance to, and a middle aged woman put both of her hands of my shoulders until I stopped. 

Not saying that people can’t be dickheads at gigs but just enjoying yourself without injuring anyone is fine. 

I was at that gig towards the second speaker stacks. Some proper middle aged play The Bends types near us. Kept tutting if it was anything after OK COMPUTER. You’ve had your time to see that set list mate get a grip!

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Then sling a canvas bag over your shoulder,  not a backpack. 

Only issue with a canvas bag over the shoulder is that it's going to absolutely wreck your neck/shoulder if you've got drink/clothes/general stuff in it all day. I take a backpack, but I take it off in a crowd, typically just have it between my legs. I am exceptionally intolerant in crowds these days though, people swinging around backpacks, talking too much, smashing into me when they're pissed or the worst in my eyes, arriving late for a set and barging through into a crowd that is clearly packed (made worse if there is then a steady stream of people, who upon finding it's packed just stand right in front of me)

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is the only one I take umbrage with. Always a slight sense of guilt, but not sure it can be avoided in a lot of cases, especially with weather on the fritz.

If someone has 18 pints of Scrumpy and an iPad in a chunky bag and are pogoing around the busiest part of the crowd, definitely not okay. But a light backpack at a festival where you slog around for 16 hours a day, even if it means a bit of lumpiness when dancing or awkwardness when jostling for a spot in the break? Heaven forbid.

I find the Guardian backpacks are the perfect size for a few supplies and a jumper for later without causing any problems for others. Always make a point of buying one as soon as I'm on site.

I agree it does depend entirely on the gig but I've stopped going to the O2 in Bristol now due to the sheer volume of 'talkers' and inconsiderate people. Maybe I'm just getting old.. It doesn't seem to happen as much at smaller venues and at least you can normally move away in them

46 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is a useful one, but if someone behind me bumps me forward, it looks like an act of war to whoever is on the receiving end.

But at least you know it's happened and can apologise or run. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I was at that gig towards the second speaker stacks. Some proper middle aged play The Bends types near us. Kept tutting if it was anything after OK COMPUTER. You’ve had your time to see that set list mate get a grip!

Not to mention that it would exclude all songs from their finest album**

Ben

**launches the first Radiohead bomb of 2019 and walks away casually...***

*** 9. Pablo Honey

• Upvote 2

Last time round, my mate and I had an annoying encounter that actually turned into one of those sweet WTF festival moments. We arrived late to see Sprinty Dave and chums and were way at the back near the urinals. There was a good 6ft of space between us and the people in front. The people in front moved. We see the reason is because in front of them are 3 young adults pogo-ing like nutters all over the shop. Of course, being nutters, they pogo'd and headbanged their way backwards rather than forwards or, I dunno, staying where they were? Soon they were bouncing off us. We took turns to put an arm up to deflect. Then a slow song. They stood less than a foot in front of us, singing lustily. We planted one foot each, an inch behind so that if they moved again they'd realise how close they were (still about 6-8ft free in front of them) and instinctively step forward. They did not. Then began blundering and pogo-ing again. We could have moved in front of them but it felt more prudent to see them coming. We chose to just see the funny side cos 1. It's Glastonbury and 2. They didn't mean to be annoying, they really genuinely were super into the gig. Knew every word. It was a group of friends having fun. Soon we were watching them more than the Foos cos, jeez, talk about Duracell bunnies.

Anyway, at the end of the set, they turned to each other and wished each other a great rest of festival and went separate ways. They hadn't known each other before that set. :D

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Last time round, my mate and I had an annoying encounter that actually turned into one of those sweet WTF festival moments. We arrived late to see Sprinty Dave and chums and were way at the back near the urinals. There was a good 6ft of space between us and the people in front. The people in front moved. We see the reason is because in front of them are 3 young adults pogo-ing like nutters all over the shop. Of course, being nutters, they pogo'd and headbanged their way backwards rather than forwards or, I dunno, staying where they were? Soon they were bouncing off us. We took turns to put an arm up to deflect. Then a slow song. They stood less than a foot in front of us, singing lustily. We planted one foot each, an inch behind so that if they moved again they'd realise how close they were (still about 6-8ft free in front of them) and instinctively step forward. They did not. Then began blundering and pogo-ing again. We could have moved in front of them but it felt more prudent to see them coming. We chose to just see the funny side cos 1. It's Glastonbury and 2. They didn't mean to be annoying, they really genuinely were super into the gig. Knew every word. It was a group of friends having fun. Soon we were watching them more than the Foos cos, jeez, talk about Duracell bunnies.

Anyway, at the end of the set, they turned to each other and wished each other a great rest of festival and went separate ways. They hadn't known each other before that set. :D

I read that twice before realising they weren't literally pogo-ing (on a pogo stick). Could imagine it though.

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is the only one I take umbrage with. Always a slight sense of guilt, but not sure it can be avoided in a lot of cases, especially with weather on the fritz.

If someone has 18 pints of Scrumpy and an iPad in a chunky bag and are pogoing around the busiest part of the crowd, definitely not okay. But a light backpack at a festival where you slog around for 16 hours a day, even if it means a bit of lumpiness when dancing or awkwardness when jostling for a spot in the break? Heaven forbid.

See i have no choice but to carry a backpack around, its not a very big backpack but needs must. I usually get a spot at say the pyramid further back so i can either put it on the floor between my feet or where its on my back and someone isnt directly pressed up against me. In the big crowds on smaller stages theres nothing i can do though, 

Usually have a packaway waterproof and a hoody/jumper for the evening and tissues etc. The rest of the space is for booze. As long as people arent jumping around hitting people with their backpacks whats the issue 

Personally I hate it when someone is moshing in a non-moshing area, especially if they have a huge back pack on too, trouble is as Brits we're just too God damn polite to say anything in case it causes offence ?. In the States they would deal with it in a more robust manner

Edited by Apone

I was at a gig (think it was Foals) and a mosh pit opened in front of us. Then, a massive clearing opened behind us and I was thinking that we were about to be in between two mosh pits and was quite excited by the prospect. Nah. Someone was sick.

ive got my small backpack and it contains my medicinal needs cider/insulin/lucosade  so that comes to the main stages ... dont think ive bumped anyone yet and dont think I will in the future .. it sometimes goes on the ground ...but is lit by a glitter ball so shouldn't be a hazard :) 

I've only got one thing to say on the subject of bags.  I once saw John Peel at a festival with one of these, I bought one off a stall and it sees it's silver jubilee this year, having attended every festival I ever have since that fateful day in '94.  Ideal in crowds, just tuck it in front of you and it basically protects the soft parts, ideal when sitting, tuck it behind you and it's a decent pillow.

bacanvasbag-1.jpg

Edited by Spindles
  • Like 1

I've only ever told talkers to shut up twice. Once during Radiohead at Glastonbury (and I was far from the only one shushing them - they did!) and once during Sleeper's comeback gig in the Oxford O2. If anyone knows the O2, formerly the Zodiac, you'll know how dinky the upstairs room is. Sleeper were killing it to a packed crowd, but we could all hear this couple having a lovely natter. About 12 people independently turned to face them and GLARED and made primary school 'shhh' fingers-on-lips until they slinked off to the bar.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Remember going to see Ben Howard in Cardiff Arena last year. Not a great venue at the best of times - only amplified by a drunk man shouting "BEN, CAN YOU SEE ME?. BEN. Ben. benny boy. BENNNNN, CAN YOU SEE ME??!!!" for a good half hour all through the quiet songs before I had to say shut the fuck up. I've never understood anyone who gets like this when drunk? In all my years, in all the states I've been in, never once have I been at a gig and decided to shout utter nonsense at the top of my lungs from the back of the hall.

14 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Nah lad. If someone’s a dickhead then they’re a dickhead. It’s a cop out to blame ale, drugs, whatever else. I’ve been off my head on most drugs you’d associate with a party/festival and I’ve never kicked off with anyone or got weird and creepy with girls.

I'm no saint myself.... But coke in particular I find numbs people to 'the vibes'. 

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

I've only got one thing to say on the subject of bags.  I once saw John Peel at a festival with one of these, I bought one off a stall and it sees it's silver jubilee this year, having attended every festival I ever have since that fateful day in '94.  Ideal in crowds, just tuck it in front of you and it basically protects the soft parts, ideal when sitting, tuck it behind you and it's a decent pillow.

bacanvasbag-1.jpg

My school bag for many years that. Wish I still had it.

2 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I've only ever told talkers to shut up twice. Once during Radiohead at Glastonbury (and I was far from the only one shushing them - they did!) and once during Sleeper's comeback gig in the Oxford O2. If anyone knows the O2, formerly the Zodiac, you'll know how dinky the upstairs room is. Sleeper were killing it to a packed crowd, but we could all hear this couple having a lovely natter. About 12 people independently turned to face them and GLARED and made primary school 'shhh' fingers-on-lips until they slinked off to the bar.

I don't bother confronting them either but once I went to see Tim Burgess doing a solo set at Band On The Wall in Manchester. I was on the front row and to give you an idea of how close I was to him I could see that he hadn't properly removed the see through plastic tag from his cords that he was wearing. This obnoxious drunken woman was basically slating him and having a go at his hairstyle and it was so loud I was fairly convinced even Tim himself would be able to hear her. There was some real avid fans there as well. There was a girl who had Charlatans lyrics tattooed all down her leg and I was certain she must have been ruining things for everyone so I asked if she could be quiet. 

Now the funny thing was this gig fell deep into my husband's marathon training and he'd been on a 20 mile run that day so had opted to sit on a bench to the side. When Tim went off before the encore I turned to him and asked if I could have a bottle of water that he had and she looked a bit scared. I had no idea why because I'm really not all that threatening and I really only confronted her because I was worried about the fact the artist himself could hear her. My husband told me afterwards that she'd spent most of the rest of the gig making faces at me behind my back which was why she looked temporarily scared when she realised I was with someone who had witnessed it. I couldn't have given less of a fuck as long as she shut up I didn't care

Edited by gigpusher

I don't go to many gigs the rest of the year but have never really come across or certainly noticed a lot of talkers in my time (maybe cos I'm too busy talking). Are they shouting to each other over the music? Do people get annoyed by people singing as well?

I rarely try and get close to the front just cos I prefer to have more personal space and would kind of expect to have to sacrifice that going towards the front. 

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I don't go to many gigs the rest of the year but have never really come across or certainly noticed a lot of talkers in my time (maybe cos I'm too busy talking). Are they shouting to each other over the music? Do people get annoyed by people singing as well?

I rarely try and get close to the front just cos I prefer to have more personal space and would kind of expect to have to sacrifice that going towards the front. 

Yes it basically seems like some people arrange to meet a mate at a gig and then chat to them like they would down the pub (only very loudly because they have to be heard above the music). I remember going to see John Grant in Liverpool and this woman spent the entire gig talking about number 6 festival where she'd first seen John Grant. She proceeded to spend the entire gig telling her friend and sadly all of us who were around her how great he had been there. Didn't even shut up during GMF which would have been his biggest hit by far at the time. 

It's definitely worse if you go and see artists who have a more mellow sound or do some acoustic numbers. 

I have no problem with singing as long as it's not right in my earhole!! 

Edited by gigpusher

8 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Me and the fella were pogoing well near the 2nd set of speakers at Foos, singing badly and having fun to the point a couple behind us tapped me on the shoulder to say they were in awe how much we were enjoying ourselves and knew all the words lol

We weren't in anyone's way or banging in to any one, backpacks on floor behind a chair wall in front of us, although a few moved away from us after a song or two but I put that down to the singing ... :D

My pet hates are people who don't let you past, people trying to physically move you from the spot you are standing so they can stand there (had this at recent Foals gig as was at the front, they didn't manage as I'm not a small lass but they were trying to for like 5-10mins) and talkers

• Upvote 1

With the bag thing I still don't see how some people can be so oblivious and unaware, just swinging around hitting people with it and not realising, or if they do feeling bad about it. 

Maybe its years of commuting on the tube but I always take my bag off in crowds and if there is a rare occasion I don't and hit someone I'll apologise. Its also not particularly comfortable for the wearer if it keeps getting caught on others! 

I do wonder whether with a lot of things some people are just plain rude and self centered. 

I had a situation which caused some internal conflict this weekend. Bon Iver at APE - a guy directly behind me was singing every word, knew them religiously, but completely tone-deaf and out of tune. This completely drowned-out the actual performance of the same words.

So... you can't have a go at someone for singing at a gig, can you? I told him to 'leave it to the pros' and I think he got the idea. But I felt bad at the same time...

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

I had a situation which caused some internal conflict this weekend. Bon Iver at APE - a guy directly behind me was singing every word, knew them religiously, but completely tone-deaf and out of tune. This completely drowned-out the actual performance of the same words.

So... you can't have a go at someone for singing at a gig, can you? I told him to 'leave it to the pros' and I think he got the idea. But I felt bad at the same time...

I had a situation on a family holiday where my sister made comments about my singing ... ok I admit its not one of my strong points but it completely ruined the next 24 hours for me ... I wasn't particularly looking forward to the holiday but had managed to be enjoying it until that point ... we can't all be in tune and in someones ear is not the done thing but that person is trying to have a good time