Crowd Tolerance

Chef

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why should I have to move because of someone else's behaviour?

Because you have a problem with it. The other option is a confrontation and if you’re honest with yourself can you really be arsed? Just easier to move and enjoy the rest of the set than say your piece and getting into a scrap.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Because you have a problem with it. The other option is a confrontation and if you’re honest with yourself can you really be arsed? Just easier to move and enjoy the rest of the set than say your piece and getting into a scrap.

This is pretty much it. I don’t think I’ve ever had to have words with anyone at a festival. I’m pretty tolerant of people being messy as I’m often that way myself. There’s a line though.

if you confront someone it doesn't make you feel any better I presume ? ... and just potentially will cause frustration for both parties during the set... I often take this as an opportunity to refuel or go for a piss and return to a different part of the field ... its big enough :) and therefore I also dont feel ive given in to anyone 

I nearly ended up being beaten up at Boomtown a few years ago for wildly throwing (fully washable) UV paint around the crowd. I did apologise once it was pointed out that I was surrounded by people (don't take mystery powder kids).

But I promise not to talk whilst you're watching the cure :) 

• Upvote 1

I blame a lot of rude behaviour you see at gigs on cocaine. Sorry if you enjoy a dabble but it does seem to turn some people into arrogant pricks. 

At Bearded Theory recently we encountered a very rude lass who pushed straight through a very packed crowd in the dance tent for The Orb. This lass decided the spot my Mrs was standing in should be hers and then proceeded to try cracking on with the lad in front of us who was just interested in having a dance. Her lack of consideration for anyone was classic cokehead. I'm 45 and been doing gigs, fests n rave since I was 15. I can spot a cokehead a mile off. 

It really is dreadful stuff and I think if someone has a bit of selfish about them already then it will bring out their worst. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mind you, a few weeks ago we went with another couple to a gig. My Mrs and the other lass decided as the band started that would be a great time for a chat much to everyone's annoyance and they didn't see it. 

I told them both in no uncertain terms to piss off to the bar if that's what they wanted to do. 

They gave me some dirty looks then finally got it and shifted. I'm no hypocrite, if my own crew are out of line they get told. 

• Upvote 2

In 2017 although my Mrs wanted to see Ed Sheeran, she decided after a bit he was pants (I did warn her) and we left, or tried to. We were by the right hand booster speakers and the security chap climbed up, had a look and said the best way out was probably to head straight back up the hill. It was chair central from about 20 yds behind us, people hadn't even packed them away and in the dark was pretty hairy. Folk were actually going out of their way to stop us getting through for some daft reason, stepping across in front etc and it got heated a couple of times with one bloke throwing a punch at me after blocking my Mrs.

I can understand that folk have come to see a big name, but they've got to chill a bit if folk don't want to be there.

I'm 53 but pretty fit and able so usually get fairly near the front at gigs and really don't mind a bit of pushing/shoving. It's usually groups in their 20s come barging past just as the band's starting; don't  let it bother me and the banter usually goes both ways with smiles. Did get a bit pissy watching Brian Jonestown Massacre at GM last time when I was about 5 deep and let what I thought was a couple of lads which actually turned into 8 or so push in front acting like they were hard core fans. Turned out they had no idea of what they were watching; a few elbows later I was back in front of 'em; didn't do themselves any favours by smoking all over me as well.

5 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

In 2017 although my Mrs wanted to see Ed Sheeran, she decided after a bit he was pants (I did warn her) and we left, or tried to. We were by the right hand booster speakers and the security chap climbed up, had a look and said the best way out was probably to head straight back up the hill. It was chair central from about 20 yds behind us, people hadn't even packed them away and in the dark was pretty hairy. Folk were actually going out of their way to stop us getting through for some daft reason, stepping across in front etc and it got heated a couple of times with one bloke throwing a punch at me after blocking my Mrs.

I can understand that folk have come to see a big name, but they've got to chill a bit if folk don't want to be there.

Sounds a bit like IOW last year. Never seen so many blankets and sofas near the main stage even for the big acts. Just ignored them after a while and walked straight across.

8 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

I blame a lot of rude behaviour you see at gigs on cocaine. Sorry if you enjoy a dabble but it does seem to turn some people into arrogant pricks. 

At Bearded Theory recently we encountered a very rude lass who pushed straight through a very packed crowd in the dance tent for The Orb. This lass decided the spot my Mrs was standing in should be hers and then proceeded to try cracking on with the lad in front of us who was just interested in having a dance. Her lack of consideration for anyone was classic cokehead. I'm 45 and been doing gigs, fests n rave since I was 15. I can spot a cokehead a mile off. 

It really is dreadful stuff and I think if someone has a bit of selfish about them already then it will bring out their worst. 

Nah lad. If someone’s a dickhead then they’re a dickhead. It’s a cop out to blame ale, drugs, whatever else. I’ve been off my head on most drugs you’d associate with a party/festival and I’ve never kicked off with anyone or got weird and creepy with girls.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Encountered a similar situation tonight. Was almost front row for chromatics, and this drunk chick front and center was jumping up and down and screaming... sometimes during some beautiful vocals. What a vibe ruiner.

Dont worry, she didn't ruin my vibe. My vibe was unbreakable. 

lost it in a crowd at glasto a few years ago, when some women decided that doing balloons just behind me was a great idea.

They tried to tell me how great the balloons were at getting them off their heads, obviously because I've never done drugs (:lol:. I suggested they should go and get a better hit at a coffee stall. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Nah lad. If someone’s a dickhead then they’re a dickhead. It’s a cop out to blame ale, drugs, whatever else. I’ve been off my head on most drugs you’d associate with a party/festival and I’ve never kicked off with anyone or got weird and creepy with girls.

I agree, Tommy, but there are, of course, times when an apparent 'cocktail' seems not to have been the best choice...

Saturday night, 2016, Love Bullets 64 HQ (in Shangri-La, when it was a good little venue!). Seth T b2b Martinez Bros. Mud, intermittent rain. I was dancing for three hours with a couple of really nice girls from Nottingham who I'd met in the queue. All good. We were close to a group of girls who, persistently, got snarky and pissy with us, whilst looking unpleasantly twatted. After the 13th glare and snidey comment I politely suggested that, just maybe, this particular girl might have chosen the wrong drug(s)...

She didn't laugh.

Ben

Because I like to leave a bit of a gap in front of me so I'm not heavy breathing onto the back of the person in front of me, I always seem to signpost myself as the pathway towards the front. Doesn't seem to matter how far front or back I am, I always seem to get a river of people walking past me mid gig.

Also irritated by the people who arrive 2 minutes before the start of the headliner, squeeze through the crowd and then stand in my comfort gap. No mate, I just stepped aside so you could get past, I didn't invite you to join us, keep moving!

Yes - hate the talkers!

I think the pyramid is more common for this sort of thing - I was watching Royal Blood in 17 with a big mixed group of about ten people in front of me. Royal Blood started, and all ten have got their heads in their phones, pretty much ignoring the performance and each other. Two or three songs in they all turned around and posed for a photo with devil fingers in the air, pouting, pulling excited faces - then as soon as a couple of satisfactory photos are taken with the band serving as a backdrop, back they go to staring at their phones, ignoring the actual band playing in front of their actual faces. I was baffled and strangely amused by it all - social media and showing you’re enjoying something being more important than actually enjoying something. 

In summary: there should be text service only on the Glastonbury site, with no 3/4/5G service whatsoever. Put your bloody phones down! 

Radiohead at Old Trafford in 2017, me and my mate we’re pretty close to the front and we’re having a bit of a dance to 15 Step, arguably the only song they played that evening that you could dance to, and a middle aged woman put both of her hands of my shoulders until I stopped. 

Not saying that people can’t be dickheads at gigs but just enjoying yourself without injuring anyone is fine. 

Two things spring to mind talkers remember seeing damien rice at Manchester Albert hall few years back group of students behind us talked constantly as if they were in a pub . Just thought fuck off if you aren't interested go to the bar downstairs. 

Other major annoyance is people filming constantly David Byrne last year bloke in front of us basically filmed virtually whole gig . I thought just take a couple of pics then leave it .

If it's a lively gig or festival I am more tolerant as I expect people to move around be pissed dance etc and also if they piss u off u can move easier 

13 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

If someone has 18 pints of Scrumpy and an iPad in a chunky bag and are pogoing around the busiest part of the crowd, definitely not okay. But a light backpack at a festival where you slog around for 16 hours a day, even if it means a bit of lumpiness when dancing or awkwardness when jostling for a spot in the break? Heaven forbid.

Then sling a canvas bag over your shoulder,  not a backpack.