Crowd Tolerance

Chef

Talkers are the most annoying. One of my very good mates is incredibly annoying if he has had a pill. When he hasn't he is fine, but if he has - he wants to get into a massive conversation with you. I end up leaving him with everyone else. I've told him to shut up and it has no effect.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Talkers are the most annoying. One of my very good mates is incredibly annoying if he has had a pill. When he hasn't he is fine, but if he has - he wants to get into a massive conversation with you. I end up leaving him with everyone else. I've told him to shut up and it has no effect.

Oh god this is so annoying. I know a few people who do this too. Its just an hour here and there to have a dance and enjoy the music. So much time for chatting over the 5 days.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I try to adapt a live and let live attitude at gigs, it's fair to say people can be arses but 30 years ago, I was that arse. Talking is now the most annoying, at The Cult at Bearded Theory we were behind 2 lads having a very loud chat about football. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, still going 2 songs later so did the sensible thing. We moved. 

Gig chatters annoy the f**** out of me- would be on my Room 101 list without a doubt

Me and my mate were at The Men They Couldn't Hang a week or 2 ago and there was an unbelievably loud/drunk group of people who obviously had no interest in watching the band ( I think they may have been there for the support act) who were really spoiling the gig for everyone nearby- especially during a song that was just vocals.  One bloke (bigger and scarier than me) did try to say something to them but they squared up to him so he left it.

In the end we moved but in hindsight I probably should have said something to security.

I havent got a problem with people enjoying themselves as long as they dont start throwing themselves into people - mosh pits excluded.

I dont like when people get violent towards those enjoying themselves. Have a polite word and if they dont get the message, move away. Theres no point starting a fight over it and ruining the experience for everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Is it just me who finds 'just move' to not be an adequate solution? So much easier said than done. Often it's far too crowded to simply move and not expect to really annoy people or even find enough space, especially if there's a group of you. Moving backwards can of course be easier, but then you're less likely to solve the problem anyway. 

Another point on talkers - it's not just a case of people not caring in the moment/being drunk etc, I've had this discussion with others and a lot of people don't seem to think there's a problem at all with talking during gigs. Frustrating.

I went to see Jason Lytle last night in London.  He was performing accoustically, with a piano and guitar.  The re-arrangements of his solo work and also Grandaddy numbers was amazing.  Overall the crowd wery very appreciative and you could hear every note without some idiot chatting all the way through.  Makes a refreshing change from some others I have been to recently.

Talkers can fuck right off, had a few in front of me at Radiohead who just moaned and chatted every time I song they didn't know was played, obviously you don't have to stand there in silence for two hours but have a little consideration for those around you...

I was at the Royal Albert Hall for the Pet Shop Boys TCT gig a couple of years ago, the two blokes next to us had clearly not seen each other for a while and decided to use the set for a good catch up. They chatted loudly through the first five/six songs before I snapped and asked them to shut up. Worst part was they went silent and got their phones out and Whatsapped each other for the rest of the gig. What strange behaviour, those tickets weren't cheap, if you just want a chat then stay in the bar or go to a pub.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

I went to see Jason Lytle last night in London.  He was performing accoustically, with a piano and guitar.  The re-arrangements of his solo work and also Grandaddy numbers was amazing.  Overall the crowd wery very appreciative and you could hear every note without some idiot chatting all the way through.  Makes a refreshing change from some others I have been to recently.

As a massive fan of JL / Grandaddy i'm very envious I couldn't make it to any of these. Glad everyone was so rapt.

The twatted couple basically trying to have sex during Sigur Ros in the JPT a few years ago...what the actual fuck? Who does that?!

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Another crowd behaviour I’ve heard mixed reactions to is people on shoulders. What do we think?

I’m never the one up there but I have had a friend on my shoulders a few times. Adopting a “1 song only” rule and only for their favourite act(s).

I haven't got an issue with someone going on shoulders for a little while during their favourite song, but repeated instances or staying up there too long is just selfish and obnoxious.

There was a girl during the Stones who was up on her boyfriend's shoulders during the Stones, she was up there for a good 5/10 minutes ignoring everyone's shouts to "get fucking down!". Then things started being thrown at her and eventually she copped a pint of what I hope was cider to the face. She didn't do it again...

I went to see Tenacious D at the SSE Arena on Sunday night. The crowd was great, apart from this young couple who were so drunk they were making such fools of themselves and really pushing around and upsetting people. This then triggered a really aggressive reaction from another person who threatened the girl. Sigh. 

A few weeks ago I went to a gig in Maidstone and had someone try and touch my bottom and pull me around, also not okay.

People should just be cool and respect their space, and the people around them!

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I haven't got an issue with someone going on shoulders for a little while during their favourite song, but repeated instances or staying up there too long is just selfish and obnoxious.

There was a girl during the Stones who was up on her boyfriend's shoulders during the Stones, she was up there for a good 5/10 minutes ignoring everyone's shouts to "get fucking down!". Then things started being thrown at her and eventually she copped a pint of what I hope was cider to the face. She didn't do it again...

I've always been too scared to go on my boyfriends shoulders because of this happening. I'm 5'2 (at a push) and can never see at gigs, I don't mind. But I'm going to say sod it and brave a minute or two of a glorious view on his shoulders this year. 

now im getting on a bit I cant be dealing with tightly packed crowds and effort to get to the bars and the ever increasing trips to the loo so I always stay towards the back.  it usually gives plenty of room for those wanting to jump around like loons without bothering to many people.  unfortunately it also seems to be full of people of my age having their one night with their friends and away from their kids so they insist on chatting the whole way through the gig they have just paid a fortune to see.  there is no reason to be chatting at a gig loud enough for others to hear.

4 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I went to see Tenacious D at the SSE Arena on Sunday night.

I was there too, and the talkers during their first hour were absolutely brutal. Maybe because I was sober I noticed it more than I would usually, but it was relentless! :(

2 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I've always been too scared to go on my boyfriends shoulders because of this happening. I'm 5'2 (at a push) and can never see at gigs, I don't mind. But I'm going to say sod it and brave a minute or two of a glorious view on his shoulders this year. 

Do it, if you're only up there for a minute or two people will be fine. The lady at the Stones was up there for ages and ignored several requests to get down. She was even turning around and waving at the people whose view she was blocking. Frankly she had it coming...

39 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Everyone should ideally stand where they are most likely to be surrounded by like-minded people.

If you're going to be going to the bar every five minutes, stand where you can get to the bar easily, not at the very front where you'll be constantly pushing through people. Same goes for the toilet.

If you're going to be throwing yourself into people with reckless abandon, that's fine as long as you're near the front where that behaviour is expected. Don't be doing it at the back where people are trying to have a bit more personal space.

If you want to dance, be somewhere less crowded/packed than the very front or you won't have enough space.

If you want to talk, don't be in the middle of the die-hard fans singing every word.

If you've got a bag that you've put on the floor, don't stand in the middle of a soon-to-be mosh pit.

And if you've brought a chair to sit on, don't plant yourself directly in front of the Pyramid stage and expect people not to block your view.

Think this nicely sums up what are my basic 2 rules which I think are in conjunction with each other

1 Live and let live

2 Don't be a dick

There should be room at events for lots of different types of people and there would be if people adhered to these rules. If you are at a gig but it's just not doing much for you and you decide you'd rather chat to your friend fine, head to the bar.

If you like drinking a lot during a gig then maybe don't head right to the front where you have to disrupt loads of other people every time you head to the bar. 

If you are tall and turn up last minute make sure you're not taking a spot in front of a short person who now won't be able to see over you. 

At Glastonbury my husband and I have learned to just take the other by the hand and move on if someone is disrupting our enjoyment of the music. It's just easier because just silently seething doesn't help anyone and it's a big old place. 

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I went to see Jaded Hearts Club Band last night and there was a guy a bit further in front of me who had clearly drank/ taken something to significant levels and his dancing can only be described as 'frog in a blender'. He was obliviously bashing in to those around him spilling drinks and knocking people out of the way.

It got me thinking, what are people opinions on this? He's paid his money and just enjoying himself or should people be a bit more aware of those around them? 

He's paid his money....but so has everyone else. There's a difference between a lively gig for everyone and one or two blokes getting pissed and jumping around.

Was at Black Honey and Honeyblood gigs last month. At both gigs there were some young lads and girls (16-18) at the front enjoying themselves...and then 2 drunken idiots come barreling in, jumping around into everyone... young kids then pushed to the side. Why should their experience be ruined? They've paid their money too. 

There's a thin line between enjoying yourself and antisocial behaviour at gigs. Sadly it's too much booze that always tips it into the latter.

Talking is a right pain in the ass. 

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

He's paid his money....but so has everyone else. There's a difference between a lively gig for everyone and one or two blokes getting pissed and jumping around.

Was at Black Honey and Honeyblood gigs last month. At both gigs there were some young lads and girls (16-18) at the front enjoying themselves...and then 2 drunken idiots come barreling in, jumping around into everyone... young kids then pushed to the side. Why should their experience be ruined? They've paid their money too. 

There's a thin line between enjoying yourself and antisocial behaviour at gigs. Sadly it's too much booze that always tips it into the latter.

Talking is a right pain in the ass. 

absolutely this.....

I think its the total lack of either awareness/care that gets me. Maybe because its totally the opposite of me i cant get my head around it.

Im 6ft3 and so always very conscious about not wanting to be in others way, and not wanting to ruin it for them, so why doesnt everyone think this way.

I dislike people who can’t control their intake of alcohol / drugs and end up becoming a burden to strangers and their friends. To me that isn’t having a good time it’s being a knobhead. 

Had a guy at primavera being creepy as fuk to 3 girls in front of me, slobberring all over them during arcade fire using the music as an excuse to grab them. Had to ruin his arcade fire gig by gripping him by the shirt and moving him out of the front section. I didn’t know any of them but it was just annoying to watch. 

10 minutes ago, Stocksey said:

absolutely this.....

I think its the total lack of either awareness/care that gets me. Maybe because its totally the opposite of me i cant get my head around it.

Im 6ft3 and so always very conscious about not wanting to be in others way, and not wanting to ruin it for them, so why doesnt everyone think this way.

I'm also 6'3" and paranoid about ruining people's views. I generally try to hangout at the back when there's acts on stage who people might want to actually see. 

Agree with everything that's been said. I don't want to court conflict, so if folk are being annoying (jumping about inconsiderately/talking) I'll move. 

43 minutes ago, Woffy said:

As a massive fan of JL / Grandaddy i'm very envious I couldn't make it to any of these. Glad everyone was so rapt.

The twatted couple basically trying to have sex during Sigur Ros in the JPT a few years ago...what the actual fuck? Who does that?!

someone has posted videos online already .  check this out @Woffy

and a singalong to A.M. 180