Crowd Tolerance

Chef

I went to see Jaded Hearts Club Band last night and there was a guy a bit further in front of me who had clearly drank/ taken something to significant levels and his dancing can only be described as 'frog in a blender'. He was obliviously bashing in to those around him spilling drinks and knocking people out of the way.

It got me thinking, what are people opinions on this? He's paid his money and just enjoying himself or should people be a bit more aware of those around them? 

Personally I have got a fairly low patience threshold and get a bit annoyed when people bash in to me so as a general rule at gigs I tend to hang around towards the back to avoid it, but on the other hand at Glasto I get angry with the picnic blanket/ fishing chair brigade tutting every time someone walks past. 

I try to adapt a live and let live attitude at gigs, it's fair to say people can be arses but 30 years ago, I was that arse. Talking is now the most annoying, at The Cult at Bearded Theory we were behind 2 lads having a very loud chat about football. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, still going 2 songs later so did the sensible thing. We moved. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I try to adapt a live and let live attitude at gigs, it's fair to say people can be arses but 30 years ago, I was that arse. Talking is now the most annoying, at The Cult at Bearded Theory we were behind 2 lads having a very loud chat about football. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, still going 2 songs later so did the sensible thing. We moved. 

Argh. 

Really torn on this one, Gnomy. Absolutely want to live and let live, but the talking is just infuriating. If you want to talk, fine, move towards the back. I’ve always wanted festivals and gigs to put up gentle, positive signage either side of the stages, simply and politely requesting that punters move towards the back if they wish to chat. 

Regarding physical movements (!), on a dance floor, for me it’s all about the community. Dance like no-one’s watching, absolutely, but you should always be aware of those around you. The best dancefloors have that unspoken ‘code’ with everyone looking after one another. Same in mosh pits, actually...

Ben

I very much support people enjoying live music the way they want provided its not disrespectful to the artist whose playing. A few years ago now, I was watching La Roux and the people behind me were talking very loudly to the point where my (now ex) partially deaf partner could hear them. I moved in front of them and they had the cheek to complain about it (to be fair, I'm 6'2!) so turned round and verbally jabbed "I've paid to hear the band not you, shut up!" and I didn't notice them for the rest of the evening

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Argh. 

Really torn on this one, Gnomy. Absolutely want to live and let live, but the talking is just infuriating. If you want to talk, fine, move towards the back. I’ve always wanted festivals and gigs to put up gentle, positive signage either side of the stages, simply and politely requesting that punters move towards the back if they wish to chat. 

Regarding physical movements (!), on a dance floor, for me it’s all about the community. Dance like no-one’s watching, absolutely, but you should always be aware of those around you. The best dancefloors have that unspoken ‘code’ with everyone looking after one another. Same in mosh pits, actually...

Ben

Brixton Academy has "no crowd surfing" signs. 

I find it infuriating and have a very hard time blocking them out and still enjoying the gig. Those people kinda ruin it for me. I sometimes say something, other times I just try to move.
Nowadays, because I have mobility issues, I'm more limited as to where can I stand or sit, so it's event trickier. But also, now I have a cane which I might accidentaly on purpose use to interrupt loud conversations about last night's date or office gossip.

• Like 1

I've been fortunate enough to never had a gig ruined by talkers....until the other night at WuTang in Manchester. My god, these lads behind us must have been shouting in each others ears as we could hear every word from quite a few paces away. Grrrrrrr!

Years ago, when Radiohead were doing the tour in a circus tent to promote Kid A I saw them play in Victoria Park. It was amazing, killer setlist when they played a mix of The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A tracks. One of my top 5 gigs of all time. 

Halfway through a rendition of "Exit Music for a FILM" with the audience in complete awed silence, some guy shouted "PLAY CREEP!". 

Whoever they are, wherever they are, I'm sure they are suffering. 

There's a line between having fun, calling for your favourite song, and being a total p***k

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Everyone should be respectful of their immediate surroundings and if they aren't then move. 

I agree on moving if someone is being a nightmare. Its annoying when youve found a good spot but feeling safe and happy is way more important than dealing with someone whos way too wasted,  agressive or acting inappropriate. I was violently threatened before at jazz world stage years ago right down the front by a very wasted angry lad, he threatened most men and women around him demanding more space, we were all packed in like sardines, created a horrible stressful atmosphere.  It was hard to move but i politely explained the situation to people behind me and they let me and my partner move back a few spaces. Also got threatened to have a glass bottle of whisky cracked over my head on the way into the rabbit hole by a group of lads who pushed in at the front of the rabbit hole queue that looked to be about 2 hours long. I called them on it and it did not go down well with them. Staff saw it and the glass bottle and did fuck all. Always some bad people around but to only have those two incidents in 10 years of Glastonbury is pretty good going, especially considering how many incredibly friendly people ive met / made friends with / have been helpful and kind. 

Edited by lobo

Depends on the atmosphere but one single person acting like a bull in a China shop all because they're fucked isn't good enough for me. They can get in the nearest bin. Plenty of us have been fucked up at gigs but know how to behave (ie not to throw ourselves at those around us, knocking drinks over them etc and potentially injuring them). That's just obnoxious whether you've dropped a pill or you're just a dick.

If people are talking loudly, I'll just move. It's annoying but the quickest way to deal with it is to just take yourself away from it rather than standing there, having a shit time and getting all huffy and puffy.

Edited by jyoung

2 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Brixton Academy has "no crowd surfing" signs. 

Lots of places do. And we know that’s bollocks! If you’re in the pit at a gig where surfing is expected and you’re cross that it’s happening around and above you,  you’re an idiot. If you’re down the front of a gig and some arse is talking continually, they’re just rude!

:)

Ben

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Depends on the gig, obviously some are livelier than others but if no-one else is acting like that then he needs to calm down. 

He made have paid his money but then so have dozens of others who have the right to enjoy it without being bashed into by a pissed idiot.

That's just it - although people were having a bit of a dance and enjoying themselves no one else was taking it to the levels of this guy. The people around him did seem fairly relaxed though 

16 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Everyone should be respectful of their immediate surroundings and if they aren't then move. 

I get this but I feel a bit put out that we should have to move. Its a struggle for Mrs Chef as she isn't that tall and having to move from a spot where she has a view to somewhere she may not be able to see as well is a bit annoying because of someone else's behavior. 

My pet hate has always been those folk who stand in front of you talking loudly about everything from their mortgages to where they are going to holiday and totally  ignoring the band that’s playing. Usually a hooray Henry group of suburban w*nkers who just want to boast that they’ve been to glaaaaasto. The only time they listen to the band is when they play the one and only tune they recognise .  Try moving and they shuffle along in front of you again.  Cue my wife to grab my arm and tell me to contain myself. 

Rant over. 

Yeah I usually have a real "live and let live" attitude. I love seeing people have fun, but if it's just because they're pissed it can get obnoxious, and then I make sure I steer clear. 

Talking is another story. Talkers can fuck right off. 

I've come to the conclusion that me getting upset by fools causes me to enjoy the gig less, so I'll generally move and not let it bother me at all. I'm there for the gig and enjoying it, not getting in a strop about some knobs.

If I'm in the mosh pit and there's an arse, then that's another matter. Usually the worst offender is a tit that pushes and backs off like a coward, so I tend to put my arm around them give them a hug and drag them in - let the rest of us give them a good doing. It does help that I'm 19st and built like a brick shithouse. Mosh pits are 99% friendly, people looking after each other, picking each other up and total fun.

My biggest bug-bear is the crowd-crust  the people who refuse to move/give way - usually place 2/3rds towards the back and the middle/front has loads of room.

Sadly the headline set of massive attack a few years back was ruined for us by some dude that was way to off his head. Could hardly even stand we were worried at that at any point he was going to fall into us, with that and a genuine worry for his personal safety, he was in that bad a state. We tried moving a bit, but he seemed to the gravitate in to that space we had left so ended up still in my eyeline/awareness.

Ended the festival on a real downer. Sadly.

I also have this affliction where i cant seem to shut it out and ignore if something is really pissing me off so it dominates my thoughts and ruins things for me, I also dont want to force others in our group to move if it clearly isnt bothering them. I end up standing there and having to get through it with Judgement written all over my face. yep im that guy!

• Upvote 1

As I'm knocking on I never venture near  the front , I'm quite small and scared I would get hurt as I mostly go solo and bones easily breakable .

Form me  I tend to gauge the set before hand (I rarely go to see anyone indoors  anymore) 

Now ,I tend to see more by being just far enough away and have a better experience but again that might be an age thing.

I'd rather move away than confrontation

For me there's a key difference.

People jumping around a being a bit more lairy than others can be annoying, but I'm pretty sure I've been one of those people myself on more than one occasion! It happens, you're at a gig. 

However, I have experienced the kind of person as described in the OP. When someone is so completely off their face they can barely stand and are actually bowling into others - in a gig environment where everyone isn't exactly being raucous. It's just not good and is a terrible experience for everyone around, while said person will never remember a moment of any of it!c

39 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Argh. 

You're absolutely right, the talkers should be the ones to move but, as you know, I'm hardly an imposing figure, requests to shut the fuck up are not going to have much of an impact, so moving is the easy (possibly cowardly) way out.

It's taken a long time for me to reach this zen approach, I'd have either had the row with them or (more likely) tutted a lot until midway through Madness at Glastonbury a few years ago. The people next to me banging on loudly about nothing were driving me nuts, but it was when their conversation turned to how much they love Madness that the red mist descended. But I calmed myself down, moved six foot and all was well. Apart from the gig being shit.

Everyone should ideally stand where they are most likely to be surrounded by like-minded people.

If you're going to be going to the bar every five minutes, stand where you can get to the bar easily, not at the very front where you'll be constantly pushing through people. Same goes for the toilet.

If you're going to be throwing yourself into people with reckless abandon, that's fine as long as you're near the front where that behaviour is expected. Don't be doing it at the back where people are trying to have a bit more personal space.

If you want to dance, be somewhere less crowded/packed than the very front or you won't have enough space.

If you want to talk, don't be in the middle of the die-hard fans singing every word.

If you've got a bag that you've put on the floor, don't stand in the middle of a soon-to-be mosh pit.

And if you've brought a chair to sit on, don't plant yourself directly in front of the Pyramid stage and expect people not to block your view.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1