Glasto 2019 tube map

deadstillstanding

Hey everyone! I reckon I've just about finished updating the Glasto tube-style map for 2019. You guys have given some useful feedback on this the last couple of times and I know a few of you have found it useful so let me know what you think! 

This is based on as much as I could glean from a fairly recent General Site Plan and various comments from all over. I've managed to cram in a few more points of interest, hopefully without getting too cramped, reworked Silver Hayes to better reflect the layout, and updated the naughty corner to match the current set up. It aint perfect – wanted to add a few other bits and pieces – but think it's pretty much ready.

Are there any glaring flaws? Obvious omissions? Want to draw a line under it soon so I can get it printed to go outside the Green Welfare tent ?️?

190530_2019 Glasto tube map_v3.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 36

I think it's excellent.

What I would say is that it doesn't feel right that Other and Pyramid aren't 'interchange stations' as they are such major parts of the site and so many paths lead to them.

Also I can't tell which node Block 9 is supposed to be, unless it's supposed to be both on the green and red lines? Edit: which kind of makes sense looking at the map. 

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs

1 hour ago, deadstillstanding said:

Hey everyone! I reckon I've just about finished updating the Glasto tube-style map for 2019. You guys have given some useful feedback on this the last couple of times and I know a few of you have found it useful so let me know what you think! 

This is based on as much as I could glean from a fairly recent General Site Plan and various comments from all over. I've managed to cram in a few more points of interest, hopefully without getting too cramped, reworked Silver Hayes to better reflect the layout, and updated the naughty corner to match the current set up. It aint perfect – wanted to add a few other bits and pieces – but think it's pretty much ready.

Are there any glaring flaws? Obvious omissions? Want to draw a line under it soon so I can get it printed to go outside the Green Welfare tent ?️?

Wow  can't wait to see the Police live!!! 

Fantastic work and genuinely very helpful!!! 

Looks really good! The only thing I spotted is that I suspect the Bimble Inn and the Ribbon Tower might be the wrong way round. And the Pharmacy has moved more to where the Brown and yellow lines meet.

The pedant would also say that there isn't a path between Strumerville and the Crows Nest, but it looks nice with the Jubilee line added!

2 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

Get a few printed off.. A3... They would sell 

2 hours ago, Titters said:

Your North-South yellow line goes to dead ends. 

Yeah, it's kinda annoying but there are no points of interest at those junctions. (Tbh it was a bit of a stretch to use Webbs Ash Bridge but I always liked that bridge so...) Plus it's already really cramped in that section so I left them out.

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

What I would say is that it doesn't feel right that Other and Pyramid aren't 'interchange stations' as they are such major parts of the site and so many paths lead to them.

Also I can't tell which node Block 9 is supposed to be, unless it's supposed to be both on the green and red lines? Edit: which kind of makes sense looking at the map. 

I know what you mean. On the first version I tried really hard to make them 'proper' stations. But it looked odd as they aren't at crossroads. I tried using conjoined circles (like for Bank or Kings Cross) to connect the junctions on either side of those stages... but that just looked weird. At the end of the day, this map is all about the paths and junctions, to help navigation, and points of interest kinda serve as labels.

And yup, re: Block 9. It's simplified to those two entrances. There are several really but this gives you the jist of it. SE corner is too fiddly to capture all the detail on this. Instead it shows the standard 1-way clockwise shambly route most people take through there at 2am. Besides, half the fun of Shangri La is getting a bit lost right :scratchhead:

1 hour ago, drunk pumpkin said:

No stop for the worm hole but that’s being picky. Looks amazing 

Yeah. Nor Romeo & Juliet, Earache, several in Shangri La... loads of little stages all over. Can't fit 'em all in basically.

17 minutes ago, selotape said:

Looks really good! The only thing I spotted is that I suspect the Bimble Inn and the Ribbon Tower might be the wrong way round. And the Pharmacy has moved more to where the Brown and yellow lines meet.

The pedant would also say that there isn't a path between Strumerville and the Crows Nest, but it looks nice with the Jubilee line added!

Bimble was in-between the tower and the Park stage last time. Do you know that they've swapped then? I can't really tell from the Site Plan.

Thanks re. the Pharmacy, that's good to know. So would that be in P28 on the Site Plan I'm guessing?

Although there isn't a decked path up beyond the tipis, there is a slightly out of the way route, on the south of the site, that takes in some of the most famous photo hotspots... hence Jubilee ?? (The logic to match with the London lines by their character isn't perfect but satisfyingly it kinda holds water.)

Thanks everyone for the input, it's genuinely really helpful, even if I can't do much about some of it!

1 hour ago, keepad said:

Great work, it would be great to get this printed up as a T-shirt, well done ? 

1 hour ago, Vegansausageroll said:

Talented, good work ?

Edit: I’d buy a mug print

1 hour ago, dccool said:

I'd buy a tea towel with that printed on it. Excellent work ?

4 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Get a few printed off.. A3... They would sell 

Thank you. After a bunch of people were kind enough to say the same the last couple of years we did look into it with the idea that proceedings would go to Festival Welfare Services but no dice sadly ?

Transport for London were cool about it so long as we didn't use their roundel logo. But Glastonbury Festivals Limited are understandably protective of their trademarks, including 'Glasto' and 'Pyramid stage' amongst others. We can't sell it, even as a charity.

7 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

But Glastonbury Festivals Limited are understandably protective of their trademarks, including 'Glasto' and 'Pyramid stage' amongst others. We can't sell it, even as a charity.

That’s a shame. 

My eyesight isn’t as good as it used to be. Perhaps you could make a hi-res version available to help me and those with similar eyesight problems. Which we wouldn’t, of course, use to get t-shirts printed. I am sure that we all would, totally unconnected, be happy to drop in a donation to Festival Welfare Services. 

9 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

Thank you. After a bunch of people were kind enough to say the same the last couple of years we did look into it with the idea that proceedings would go to Festival Welfare Services but no dice sadly ?

Transport for London were cool about it so long as we didn't use their roundel logo. But Glastonbury Festivals Limited are understandably protective of their trademarks, including 'Glasto' and 'Pyramid stage' amongst others. We can't sell it, even as a charity.

Does that apply to paintings as I'm working on a project to do 12 paintings of glastonbury.. Now obviously you call your painting something ie.. Glastonbury pyramid in the sunset .. Or ribbon tower something or other.. Am I allowed to call my original paintings these names.. Otherwise I'll have to change it to.....

A bright thing in a field.......

Doesn't sound so good does it lol

Really cool... love it!!!

Couple of comments - Stone circle is much further to the right than Glade.  I can see why you have done this to fit everything in but it would benefit from a line joining these together as there is a main route from Strummervile/Stone Circle to Glade.  Also next to Strummerville on the corner it would be good to add Pennard Hill Gate for the Worthy Viewers.

10 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

Bimble was in-between the tower and the Park stage last time. Do you know that they've swapped then? I can't really tell from the Site Plan.

This year Bimble Inn is where Rabbit Hole was. 

On your 2019 map this should place the  ribbon tower slightly north of Bimble Inn. 

I recently read a book about the London Underground map writer. You should put yourself on the next reading list. It’s currently with @pie_and_a_pint as that’s the sort of thing she likes. 

What a fantastic creation - love it (and would buy the T-shirt). Only thing I considered that could be an extra "station" was worthy view - I know its technically outside the site (like CV field etc), but personally I think it has sort of become a "feature" of Glastonbury...... just my take on what is a brilliant creation