Emergency services

McWiggins

Hi guys,

Super long time lurker here posting my first post, couldn't remember this being mentioned before, but apologies if it has already been discussed.

I've been to the festival many times as a paying customer but this year will be my first going there to do my day job, ambulance dispatcher.

We've been told that we will be using a free app called 'what 3 words' to help find people if they call 999 from site. I don't recall this ever being actively encouraged or advertised anywhere, not sure why as the more people who know about it can only be a good thing. So in the unlikely event any of you guys need to call for help (and even more unlikely event you have enough battery on your phone) you can switch on your location, open up the app and give the three word sentence generated by the app to give your exact location to within 3 meters.

This is not just handy to know at the festival, but more and more emergency services across the country are starting to use it in every day life too.

Also, after having spent 3 hours searching for my car on the Monday morning of 2016, I would've paid good money for someone to tell me its exact location, so the app could come in handy for that ?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 12

14 minutes ago, McWiggins said:

Hi guys,

Super long time lurker here posting my first post, couldn't remember this being mentioned before, but apologies if it has already been discussed.

I've been to the festival many times as a paying customer but this year will be my first going there to do my day job, ambulance dispatcher.

We've been told that we will be using a free app called 'what 3 words' to help find people if they call 999 from site. I don't recall this ever being actively encouraged or advertised anywhere, not sure why as the more people who know about it can only be a good thing. So in the unlikely event any of you guys need to call for help (and even more unlikely event you have enough battery on your phone) you can switch on your location, open up the app and give the three word sentence generated by the app to give your exact location to within 3 meters.

This is not just handy to know at the festival, but more and more emergency services across the country are starting to use it in every day life too.

Also, after having spent 3 hours searching for my car on the Monday morning of 2016, I would've paid good money for someone to tell me its exact location, so the app could come in handy for that ?

How come I've never heard of this app it's a great idea

It’s a superb idea. I’m on a Mountain Rescue team and one of our issues is that folk don’t know where they are because they’re not good with maps. This helps solve the problem 

16 minutes ago, Divein said:

I'll be looking to download this.

Does it work well in crowds? Would be good if you're trying to find your mates at a stage. Instead of saying my X or Y flag. 

Does it use a lot of data or battery? 

it's works anywhere as it's GPS based.

It shouldn't use too much data as it just squirts your location to their servers, which returns the three words, which your friends can then look up.

looking up locations may be more data intensive as to get the best use our of it, satellite maps give a better indication of where you are

4 hours ago, paulshane said:

it's works anywhere as it's GPS based.

It shouldn't use too much data as it just squirts your location to their servers, which returns the three words, which your friends can then look up.

looking up locations may be more data intensive as to get the best use our of it, satellite maps give a better indication of where you are

The 3 words are generated "on device" - so the only data used will be the satellite images, and even those should be cached after the first view.

https://support.what3words.com/map-and-apps/does-what3words-work-offline