Lager, lager lager!

dingbat2

We have a cider thread and a real ale thread but I couldn't find a lager thread - apologies if there is one. When I am at Glasto I drink cans of lagers n the tent and when bimbling around the site, then top then up with cider and real ale from the bars

Any cheap deals on lager around at the moment?

A mate says Aldi are selling 18 cans of Stella for £12 which is pretty cheap imo

I know this has been talked about briefly in threads before, but which lagers do you think are the most drinkable warm/room temp? Really don't know whether to bother bringing any or if I should stick to spirits and wine bags.

3 hours ago, woyski said:

I know this has been talked about briefly in threads before, but which lagers do you think are the most drinkable warm/room temp? Really don't know whether to bother bringing any or if I should stick to spirits and wine bags.

Hi, I find larger is the worse to bring but I still bring a small amount 10-15 cans or one crate, along side the cider... I find the weaker larger’s taste the better Bud light / Stella 4% or a premium one would be red stripe.... Don’t even bother with Heineken warm ?.... One tip I do if you buy a fridge pack put them in the fridge before you go I usally leave around 9-10am on the Wednesday & hav a 2hr drive give or take I find once your in & set up your tent the larger is still on the cool side to enjoy. Then for the rest of the festival I usually only hav one or two cans to start off before moving onto the cider the rest of the days.... If it’s of interest & your not much of a cider drinker dwn the pub I find cans of Magners is a good option. Hope this helps.... 

Edited by ITK19889
  • Like 1

If you take a bucket, fill it at the tap and put the larger in in the morning to chill it up a bit. Anyone who thinks this is a waste of water can either drink warm larger or use the water to rehydrate passing hippies ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ITK19889 said:

Hi, I find larger is the worse to bring but I still bring a small amount 10-15 cans or one crate, along side the cider... I find the weaker larger’s taste the better Bud light / Stella 4% or a premium one would be red stripe.... Don’t even bother with Heineken warm ?.... One tip I do if you buy a fridge pack put them in the fridge before you go I usally leave around 9-10am on the Wednesday & hav a 2hr drive give or take I find once your in & set up your tent the larger is still on the cool side to enjoy. Then for the rest of the festival I usually only hav one or two cans to start off before moving onto the cider the rest of the days.... If it’s of interest & your not much of a cider drinker dwn the pub I find cans of Magners is a good option. Hope this helps.... 

Thanks for the advice mate! Was glad to hear Red Stripe was on the list of acceptable ones. I know ale is generally more acceptable at these temperatures but I really can't have too much of that. Cider is also good! Not sure why that fell off my radar.

44 minutes ago, woyski said:

Thanks for the advice mate! Was glad to hear Red Stripe was on the list of acceptable ones. I know ale is generally more acceptable at these temperatures but I really can't have too much of that. Cider is also good! Not sure why that fell off my radar.

No problem ??

The best one thou forget to say bring your favourite spirit pour it in a plastic bottle  Rum for me buy cold cans of coke or whatever off the food stalls or ice cream vans then give yourselves your own measures ?

Edited by ITK19889

1 hour ago, Sezz said:

If you take a bucket, fill it at the tap and put the larger in in the morning to chill it up a bit. Anyone who thinks this is a waste of water can either drink warm larger or use the water to rehydrate passing hippies ?

I took a foldable plastic bowl in 2017 similar to this, Go outdoors for a fiver if i recall. Plus I bought some ice from the ice cream van to speed up the job. Was perfect for cooling cans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFbY1WrdLEYCcdf_mnZqQ

• Like 1

Carlsberg’s new pilsner £7.99 for 18 in Lidl at the moment. 

Unsure what it’ll be like warm... 

A necessity for me though, don’t want to break the bank, can’t handle spirits and cider and real ale give me acid reflux. ?

Edited by blutarsky
Typo

I tend to avoid anything marketed as "craft" beer for the same reason as I avoid anything marketed as "artisan".

I prefer to drink stronger drinks at Glastonbury to minimise trips to the urinals, so I'd always go for a premium lager.

Never drink lager once I'm watching bands though, I tend to drink 500ml bottles of wine from the wine bar in the evenings as you can carry them in your pockets, put the lid back on when you're not drinking them and they're like rocket fuel, get you drunk without needing to piss every 5 minutes.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

On the subject of lager are there any decent craft lager bars on site? Had a pint from the craft bar at APE that was much, much nicer than the usual slop they serve at most festivals.

Depends how you define "craft". The bar in the Theatre Field has been the only real option in the past couple festivals - but that's still only sold products owned or licenced in the UK by Carlsberg as far as I'm aware. Even though they called it the "Craft Tavern", the offering was more Premium Continental Lagers & Brooklyn Brewery than anything I'd call craft.

Some of the limited information that's circulated for this year suggests that the "Craft Tavern" in the Theatre Field will be renamed to "Brew Bar" - and that a second Brew Bar will be present at The Glade. Though whether that means we'll have a second option for decent lager remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Depends how you define "craft". The bar in the Theatre Field has been the only real option in the past couple festivals - but that's still only sold products owned or licenced in the UK by Carlsberg as far as I'm aware. Even though they called it the "Craft Tavern", the offering was more Premium Continental Lagers & Brooklyn Brewery than anything I'd call craft.

Some of the limited information that's circulated for this year suggests that the "Craft Tavern" in the Theatre Field will be renamed to "Brew Bar" - and that a second Brew Bar will be present at The Glade. Though whether that means we'll have a second option for decent lager remains to be seen.

I suppose “anything that isn’t piss weak Carlsberg” might be a better description.

Cheers for the info though.

On the topic of lager at the bars - what are we talking £-wise per pint? (I'm from London so I'm used to being royally mugged off for pints anyway.)

Arriving by coach so I'm only bringing spirits to save space, but definitely need to budget for minimum 5 pints a day from the bars I would have thought

2 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

On the topic of lager at the bars - what are we talking £-wise per pint? (I'm from London so I'm used to being royally mugged off for pints anyway.)

Arriving by coach so I'm only bringing spirits to save space, but definitely need to budget for minimum 5 pints a day from the bars I would have thought

£5 / pint if we're lucky.

£5.50 / pint if we're not.

edit: Carlsberg was £4.80 / pint in 2017. So remains to be seen how much it'll be inflated by.

Edited by incident

10 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

What do you go for? Carling? Fosters?

Fosters is terrible, Carling slightly better but probably not.

But it's nonsense to think that lager isn't good because it's mass produced and that only a hipster brewing in his garage can make something better. If that were the case then the big brewers would just change the recipe. It's just marketing innit. Stick the word "craft" on it and the beer w*nkers will be all over it.

Personally, my favourite supermarket beer is Asahi, but recently I've been enjoying Birra Moretti which I think it just made by one of the big breweries owned by megacorp but still tastes really good.

16 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Fosters is terrible, Carling slightly better but probably not.

But it's nonsense to think that lager isn't good because it's mass produced and that only a hipster brewing in his garage can make something better. If that were the case then the big brewers would just change the recipe. It's just marketing innit. Stick the word "craft" on it and the beer w*nkers will be all over it.

Personally, my favourite supermarket beer is Asahi, but recently I've been enjoying Birra Moretti which I think it just made by one of the big breweries owned by megacorp but still tastes really good.

I only used the word "craft" to separate it from the Carlsberg/Tuborg shite they sell in most of the bars around site. I enjoy and drink most commercial lagers (except Budweiser, which is just awful).

• Upvote 1