1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What were you on before?

Thatchers Gold. Just a little too sweet for me. I couldn’t drink more than a few cans without feeling ill. Haze seems to be the cider equivalent of a session ale. I’ll be running a few more test drinking sessions before heading to the farm. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:21 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Also this one, made literally next door to the festival. I mean literally, the farm borders Worthy.

https://www.moonscider.co.uk/products/farmhouse-dry-5l

Walked past a pub serving that while visiting last week. Lovely cider. Matey behind the bar said it was made over the road and as we headed back to camp we spotted this. 

Screenshot_20220517_123908.jpg

1 minute ago, CurlyPutz said:

Walked past a pub serving that while visiting last week. Lovely cider. Matey behind the bar said it was made over the road and as we headed back to camp we spotted this. 

Screenshot_20220517_123908.jpg

I popped in before visiting WP last year and the lady there was lovely, had me sampling all the cider, I was quite happy by the time I got back into my car*.

* Passenger seat!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Big thanks to Tumbles and Durbs. I’ve switched to Thatchers Haze the last couple of weeks and its definitely an improvement over the previous cider I was drinking. 

Think I’ve now got my festival cans sorted. 

£8.50 for 10 cans in Asda at mo. 

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Sorry if this has been answered earlier - couldn’t see. Are Sheppys still supplying Lidl with their non-branded cider?

The still sell Woodgate Devonshire Scrumpy, which they say is produced in Tiverton. I think Sheppy are based in Tiverton. 

Edited by alanr
Corrected typo

23 minutes ago, alanr said:

The still sell Woodgate Devonshire Scrumpy, which they say is produced in Tiverton. I think Sheppy are based in Tiverton. 

Hiya, not to be a pedant, but it might change the conclusion here - Sheppy's is based near Wellington, Somerset. Very big on their Somerset cider providence, not Devon. 🙂  

And just noticed your profile says you're in Malvern - I grew up down the road from there! Give my love to the hills!

Edited by pogal

3 hours ago, Badlands said:

Sorry if this has been answered earlier - couldn’t see. Are Sheppys still supplying Lidl with their non-branded cider?

1 hour ago, pogal said:

Hiya, not to be a pedant, but it might change the conclusion here - Sheppy's is based near Wellington, Somerset. Very big on their Somerset cider providence, not Devon. 🙂  

And just noticed your profile says you're in Malvern - I grew up down the road from there! Give my love to the hills!

Seems I may have got something wrong about Sheppy's location. I found this twitter and thought it was the same as referred to in Badland's post.

I think Lilley only sell bottles, and suspect it may be their cider packaged in Tiverton.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Reading back through the archives of this thread is probably one of the best things you can do - plenty of good recommendations on here. 

Having said that... I'm in the process of trying to plan my next buy for this year.  I recently tried this one:

https://gwyntcidershop.com/collections/draught-ciders-perries/products/black-dragon-10ltr. And whilst it's delicious and is nice in bottles, tended to leave me with too many hangovers, given it's strength and clarity, it's probably too high on the sugar and sulphites to be a good session cider for the festival.  And I prefer it with bubbles.

I'm always a fan of Sheppy's and am considering one of their smaller boxes this year:
https://www.sheppyscider.com/online-shop/ciders/?category=5233

Went to a beer/cider festival yesterday and was pleased to see they had Black Dragon and some of their others on - Dog Dancer, Happy Daze, Farmhouse Pyder and Two Trees Perry. Black Dragon was the first I tried, after your recommendation @stuartbert two hats and it was indeed very nice, as were their others which I tried all of, bit too strong for me at Glasto though.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Went to a beer/cider festival yesterday and was pleased to see they had Black Dragon and some of their others on - Dog Dancer, Happy Daze, Farmhouse Pyder and Two Trees Perry. Black Dragon was the first I tried, after your recommendation @stuartbert two hats and it was indeed very nice, as were their others which I tried all of, bit too strong for me at Glasto though.

Glad you enjoyed it. Sacrilegious for a cider snob such as me, but I think I prefer their fizzy bottled stuff to the still cider. And as you say, too strong to be a session drink.

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

They had this stuff at the festival I was at, sold out in record time. I didn't have any though, Lilley's flavoured cider gives me terrible heartburn after a couple of pints.

If anyone is looking at the new Strong Bow Dark Fruits, it’s less calories, it’s obviously how it’s made. But they are also every so slightly slimmer, bit deceiving to eye, so look normal size but it’s on 330ml when you read the label, so that will also contribute to the low calories

Talking of Cider I think I’ve got mine all in 40 x Strongbow Dark Fruits, 12 x Thatcher Blood Orange, 8 x Scrumpy Jacks, and few larger too

On 5/16/2022 at 11:14 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Big thanks to Tumbles and Durbs. I’ve switched to Thatchers Haze the last couple of weeks and its definitely an improvement over the previous cider I was drinking. 

Think I’ve now got my festival cans sorted. 

Haze is the best!!! Anyone tried the thatchers Rose? Might grab a case of that too.

So Brothers Festival Apple isn't that bad, definitely better than Mallets although there is a bit of similarity but the new stuff has a better taste.

Bringing a mix of Brothers, Strongbow and the favoured Thatchers, but will also be spending time at the Cider Bus, shame the Thatchers craft cider stand between the Pyramid and T'Other went a few years back.

8 minutes ago, Padgey said:

So Brothers Festival Apple isn't that bad, definitely better than Mallets although there is a bit of similarity but the new stuff has a better taste.

Bringing a mix of Brothers, Strongbow and the favoured Thatchers, but will also be spending time at the Cider Bus, shame the Thatchers craft cider stand between the Pyramid and T'Other went a few years back.

See I thought they tasted the same … That said I’ll still be drinking the festival apple