35 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

No idea! You’d not catch me drinking it, but I thought some people might like it. 

If you've not already been prescribed statins, then there's a fairly high probability that you will be in the future.

Maybe try it now while you can.

I need Aspalls to produce a can version of their cider. Incredible stuff. Probably wouldnt be the same as draft but still, shit me its nice.

There's a place near me just outside of Black Country called the cider house. A questionable pub in the middle of nowhere which sells rocket fuel cider which tastes half decent, even better when they add a mixer such as a drop of blackcurrant, raspberry etc. Anyway, in our youth we used to go here, have two pints and a spliff and it was all over. Stupidly strong stuff. Fast forward to 2021, move into a new house, check out the local off licence - they sell it on draft behind the till for the pub, in different sized plastic kegs with a mixture of choice, or just plain. For nostalgia purposes I'm considering taking some to GF, but realistically it's probably not a good idea! I can notoriously handle large quantities of spirits, but this stuff is insane.

Another time I drank 3 pints and had a spliff at friends house, threw up and hallucinated at the same time, I thought I was 3 strands of shredded wheat for a good 30 seconds. The noise in my ear as my jaw was opening (like when you yawn) convinced me this was the case.

Tbf I'll just take some nice friendly Rekorderlig.

Edited by Stokesy10
Feel free to pass this to the drunk thread
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, Stokesy10 said:

I need Aspalls to produce a can version of their cider. Incredible stuff. Probably wouldnt be the same as draft but still, shit me its nice.

There's a place near me just outside of Black Country called the cider house. A questionable pub in the middle of nowhere which sells rocket fuel cider which tastes half decent, even better when they add a mixer such as a drop of blackcurrant, raspberry etc. Anyway, in our youth we used to go here, have two pints and a spliff and it was all over. Stupidly strong stuff. Fast forward to 2021, move into a new house, check out the local off licence - they sell it on draft behind the till for the pub, in different sized plastic kegs with a mixture of choice, or just plain. For nostalgia purposes I'm considering taking some to GF, but realistically it's probably not a good idea! I can notoriously handle large quantities of spirits, but this stuff is insane.

Another time I drank 3 pints and had a spliff at friends house, threw up and hallucinated at the same time, I thought I was 3 strands of shredded wheat for a good 30 seconds. The noise in my ear as my jaw was opening (like when you yawn) convinced me this was the case.

I know the pub well and my local off licence also does the same. I’ve taken a couple of litres to the festival in previous years and can confirm it leads to things escalating very quickly.

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anyone tried this place? I'm keen on getting cider without added sugar or sulphites and certainly no sweeteners.

https://www.farmcider.co.uk/buy-farm-cider/

I saw they do still cider boxes. In the past I’ve frozen rosé wine boxes, which have remained cold until the Friday. Has anyone tried doing this with still cider? 

There’s an unwritten rule if you come from Herefordshire that if you see Westons in a bar on a big night out that you have to tell everyone in there that you know the Westons family (and Bulmers/Symonds too while you’re at it). Then buy a bottle of black top (always a game changer) and regret it later.

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, Stokesy10 said:

apparently they did a can version at waitrose but it appears to be discontinued now.

3 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Do you mean you can buy Old Rosie in a bag? If so, where?

https://www.westons-cider.co.uk/our-ciders/old-rosie

It's 20l, so should probably be decanted into something smaller like this:

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/replacement-bags-for-5l-bag-in-box-pack-of-3?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pOTBhCTARIsAHF23fKwCiWgOwYWKsvS_bpl6UozWZ9Ko3DJrjHOOHF8hZkPE-Y3RgINIpcaAqJ5EALw_wcB

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I tend to hunt out the lesser known scrumpys. They're like Old Rosie, but better. And some of them can be bought in 5l or 10l bags.

There’s a fair few great things about living in East Sussex, and one of them is definitely Middle Farm; it’s a countryside cider barn with about 80-100 different scrumpies, perries and ciders on tap - you can have a free taster with a tiny little cup and have a bash of as many of them as you like, and then buy them in varying amounts from 1-20 litres. They’ve another hundred or so in bottles as well. They’re predominantly Devon, Somerset and elsewhere in the south west cideries, but there’s some local to me as well, and I really like trying all the different ones. There’s one by Gwatkins that’s a red rose Perry at about 7% abs it’s absolutely amazing - I can’t remember the makers of the rum barrel aged cider but holy shitballs that’s brilliant too. 
I really recommend everyone pops in if they’re anywhere nearby, but try and make sure someone else is driving so you can have a good long try of a few different ciders! 

18 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

If you could recommend a couple, it would be much appreciated.

Reading back through the archives of this thread is probably one of the best things you can do - plenty of good recommendations on here. 

Having said that... I'm in the process of trying to plan my next buy for this year.  I recently tried this one:

https://gwyntcidershop.com/collections/draught-ciders-perries/products/black-dragon-10ltr. And whilst it's delicious and is nice in bottles, tended to leave me with too many hangovers, given it's strength and clarity, it's probably too high on the sugar and sulphites to be a good session cider for the festival.  And I prefer it with bubbles.

I'm always a fan of Sheppy's and am considering one of their smaller boxes this year:
https://www.sheppyscider.com/online-shop/ciders/?category=5233

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

There’s a fair few great things about living in East Sussex, and one of them is definitely Middle Farm; it’s a countryside cider barn with about 80-100 different scrumpies, perries and ciders on tap - you can have a free taster with a tiny little cup and have a bash of as many of them as you like, and then buy them in varying amounts from 1-20 litres. They’ve another hundred or so in bottles as well. They’re predominantly Devon, Somerset and elsewhere in the south west cideries, but there’s some local to me as well, and I really like trying all the different ones. There’s one by Gwatkins that’s a red rose Perry at about 7% abs it’s absolutely amazing - I can’t remember the makers of the rum barrel aged cider but holy shitballs that’s brilliant too. 
I really recommend everyone pops in if they’re anywhere nearby, but try and make sure someone else is driving so you can have a good long try of a few different ciders! 

Yeah, Gwatkins are banging.

EDIT: for @Wanderlei https://gwatkincider.co.uk/product-category/cider/  Even though the images are of bottles, click through and select a different amount to get the bags.  A warning, it's unusual to find quantities as low as 5l.  It's usually 10l or more common 20l.  

Screenshot 2022-04-24 at 17.01.11.png

Edited by stuartbert two hats

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

EDIT: for @Wanderlei https://gwatkincider.co.uk/product-category/cider/  Even though the images are of bottles, click through and select a different amount to get the bags.  A warning, it's unusual to find quantities as low as 5l.  It's usually 10l or more common 20l.  

Screenshot 2022-04-24 at 17.01.11.png

👍 Nice.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh god I used to do some work for old man from there about 20+ years ago. Proper character.

Lived in a properly run down old farmhouse and all the cider was in a newly renovated bungalow at the end if the farm drive 😂 he was old then mind, wonder if he’s still kicking around.

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Middle Farm is great! I’m sad I no longer have a car because it’s hard to get to now!

• Upvote 1