45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I swear my box of Thatchers gets stronger with every pint.  It was like apple juice when I first opened it, now it seems to be about 10%!

Which one did you get?  I get a box of the Big Apple and it's like rocket fuel even though it's only 5%.

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I swear my box of Thatchers gets stronger with every pint.  It was like apple juice when I first opened it, now it seems to be about 10%!

I've had the same sort of experience in the past with a box of their Cheddar Valley

22 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think the abv of proper cider is more of a desire/guess than an actuality.

I also think it seems to get stronger with age.

The Hecks stuff is like rocket fuel too, i'll feel it after 1 pint and after 3 i'm pretty merry. However it doesn't give me a headache in the morning, I guess it's due to be full of apply goodness and sunshine - and no additives/chemicals etc.  

Edited by Johnnyseven

19 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Does anyone know if Roger Wilkins is still selling, or has the rona shut him down for the time being?

He was last May/June, a mate of mine who lives in Cheddar picked me up some and brought it the Glastonbury for me. Not sure a week in a hot tent did it any good though it tasted a bit of a edge to it when I got it home, unless it's supposed to be like that of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, Johnnyseven said:

I think the abv of proper cider is more of a desire/guess than an actuality.

I also think it seems to get stronger with age.

The Hecks stuff is like rocket fuel too, i'll feel it after 1 pint and after 3 i'm pretty merry. However it doesn't give me a headache in the morning, I guess it's due to be full of apply goodness and sunshine - and no additives/chemicals etc.  

The 6% thing seems to be a mutually agreed thing between proper cider manufacturers and the excise man. I'm sure a lot of it is stronger.

The chemicals are definitely the thing that cause the headaches!

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If it catches the light right the Burrowhill Dry off of the Cider Bus has oily rainbows on the surface. 

Same with the Hot 'n' Spicy. I wonder if it's due to residue from the wax lining of the cups? Would you still get the same if poured into a glass?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Is it still going to be Mallets for 2022?  I hardly see the stuff in the supermarkets nowadays but it can still be bought on their website.  Hopefully they bring Thatchers back, and the little craft stall they used to have there.

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got a few bottles of Burrow Hill in the fridge for tomorrow night.

Got a mix of Thatchers, Bow and Stowford, have a couple of bottles of Thatchers Vintage as well but a couple of them is quite enough!

54 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Is it still going to be Mallets for 2022?  I hardly see the stuff in the supermarkets nowadays but it can still be bought on their website.  Hopefully they bring Thatchers back, and the little craft stall they used to have there.

Saw dark fruits Mallets in my local Lidl last week. (Shudder). Can’t see Thatchers returning anytime soon. 

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got a few bottles of Burrow Hill in the fridge for tomorrow night.

Having the cider bus cups really makes it!