6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sounds good, thought a geography field trip would be more about glaciation, ox bow lakes, coastal erosion etc.  Mind you we used to take our chemistry classes to distilleries and hoover up the free miniatures, well the kids were not old enough to appreciate the finest malts . 

I did a mix of human & physical Geography. We also went to Paignton Zoo & did a group project on ‘geographies of a zoo’.

My mates called me up to heckle me into going down the SU to watch a Chelsea Liverpool match, said I obviously couldn’t as I was busy working in the library... their response “all you do is colouring in”. I didn’t know they were all watching me through the window colouring & Pritt Sticking our display board.

I saw the second half.

edit: on a more cider related note I went to Plymouth Uni so Doom Bar & local scrumpy was £1 a pint.

Best field trip was a 24hour coach trip to Ireland. 150 Geography students on the lash. Anyone recognise the house???

EDA20D2D-7B71-4EA0-A35A-7703A526A876.jpeg

Edited by Bisque
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I did a mix of human & physical Geography. We also went to Paignton Zoo & did a group project on ‘geographies of a zoo’.

My mates called me up to heckle me into going down the SU to watch a Chelsea Liverpool match, said I obviously couldn’t as I was busy working in the library... their response “all you do is colouring in”. I didn’t know they were all watching me through the window colouring & Pritt Sticking our display board.

I saw the second half.

edit: on a more cider related note I went to Plymouth Uni so Doom Bar & local scrumpy was £1 a pint.

Best field trip was a 24hour coach trip to Ireland. 150 Geography students on the lash. Anyone recognise the house???

It’s Father Teds parochial house!  Brilliant! 

Is that Chris the unhappy sheep in the background.?

2A77A1A4-81A6-49C3-BC7A-02A1E30618C1.jpeg.91231a006414d44407f8e3c9a701f17f.jpeg

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s Father Teds parochial house!  Brilliant! 

Is that Chris the unhappy sheep in the background.?

I’ve forgot who Chris is but my mate got rammed by a sheep whilst doing a mooney near the Cliffs of Moher after a few Magners, or is it Bulmers there?

Edited by Bisque

On 5/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sounds good, thought a geography field trip would be more about glaciation, ox bow lakes, coastal erosion etc.  Mind you we used to take our chemistry classes to distilleries and hoover up the free miniatures, well the kids were not old enough to appreciate the finest malts . 

You know, I've always thought oxbow lakes are really cool.  Little orphaned pieces of wild river.  I get unreasonably excited when I see one, I think mainly because it's an indication that the river is acting in a natural way.  You don't get no stinking ox bow lakes on the Mersey (my nearest river),  it's too big and too managed.  There's something really romantic about a river meandering around so much it breaks part of itself off.

There we are, I've outed myself as an oxbowlakephile!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I saw the second half.

Recognise it?? I went there as part of my honeymoon!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You know, I've always thought oxbow lakes are really cool.  Little orphaned pieces of wild river.

Also excellent habitat for migrating nesting birds if you like that kind of thing.

Formation of ox-bow lakes is probably one of my favourite things to teach. The fact an animal as small as a vole nesting on the side of a river bank can eventually cause one is amazing.

25 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Also excellent habitat for migrating nesting birds if you like that kind of thing.

Formation of ox-bow lakes is probably one of my favourite things to teach. The fact an animal as small as a vole nesting on the side of a river bank can eventually cause one is amazing.

Really? That's fascinating! I wish I lived nearer to countryside.  Not moving this year, that's for sure :D

In other news, the Thatcher's cider isn't half bad actually. 

8 hours ago, Bisque said:

14371B36-303A-4B5C-B2EA-20FA56B3E2A9.jpeg.384d1499af914edfaa35d423cdcefdb3.jpeg

It’s the one thing everyone remembers from school geography. In physics it’s running about the playground with a trundle wheel and stopwatch.  Chemistry? Elephants toothpaste. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

10 hours ago, Bisque said:

We went to Buckfast Abbey on a Geography field trip when I was at uni. I don’t remember much of the trip but it was a nice day out.

in its early days (2001-02), efestivals was run from very close to Buckfast Abbey

</useless fact>

I just discovered Henry Weston’s vintage cider a couple of weeks ago. Down here in Australia, most of the cider is way too sweet for me. I grew up in the West Country and can’t abide yer Strongbows etc. 

I was reading a review of Weston and somebody said it was about as close to a Scrumpy as you’ll get in Australia. That was me sold. Got myself a case and it was bloody lovely. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Seems that this year the blossom on apple trees is exceptionally good and suggests that there will be a bumper crop of apples this year. Great news for Somerset cider producers.  Mon the wurzels, as we say up here! 

lets hope we can get some Brits to pick them :) 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Foreigner picked cider not good enough for ya? 😉

no its good ,but for some reason we cant seem to get enough pickers at the moment ... I used to love running about a local orchard as a kid whilst my mum picked apples :) 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have a couple of apple trees in my garden and can confirm the blossom is looking great, after a terrible crop last year.

my folks had a small orchard and produced some amazing apple juice ... sadly they never tried making  cider and have now downsized :( 

Living by the sea trees don’t grow very well here. I offered to buy an apple tree but apparently they don’t do well with salty air.

I have managed to grow an avocado tree from a seed I took from a snack however.

My grandparents had an apple tree & they used to watch the squirrels go mad in Autumn on the rotten dropped apples.