31 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

So, where the heck was all the scrumpy?? Avalon Inn last year, scrumpy £4.50 a pint. This year Mallet's only for £6!!! Craft cider bar gone and replaced with.... nought. Asked for Burrow Hill in main bars - nowt doing. Only places on site I found were the Cider Bus and Bimble! Poor form.

The Bimble wasn't even selling Burrow Hill, it was some kind of Thatchers IIRC.

I know this isnt much help, but the Tow & Hitch staff bar up by Arcadia had Heck ciders, one with elderflower and one with rhubarb, and a farmhouse one at about 7%. All three were bloody lovely (and £4 a pint) 

• 6 months later...

Right, I know this may not be the season for it*, but has anyone tried this...

I'm assuming it's awful, but it does say it's selected by Mr Weston and I do trust that man quite a lot.

IMG_20200204_192147.jpg

*It is in fact always the season for it in my book but there we go...

Edited by Sasperella

20 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'm assuming it's awful, but it does say it's selected by Mr Weston and I do trust that man quite a lot.

IMG_20200204_192147.jpg

Don't assume it's awful.  It's still, it's 6-7%.  BUY!

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Don't assume it's awful.  It's still, it's 6-7%.  BUY!

This was pretty much my thought process. I'm going away to some remote Scottish Island at the weekend and was trying to find a box of Wyld Wood, and all they had which hit the above criteria (and was in a box) was this. Probably worth a go.

Saying that though, I do prefer the Henry Weston's thats 8.4% rather than the shoddy 6.3% version or whatever it is. I never realise my mistake until I start drinking it! I'm assuming this will be more like wyld wood than that though (for no other reason than that its in a box...)

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This was pretty much my thought process. I'm going away to some remote Scottish Island at the weekend and was trying to find a box of Wyld Wood, and all they had which hit the above criteria (and was in a box) was this. Probably worth a go.

Saying that though, I do prefer the Henry Weston's thats 8.4% rather than the shoddy 6.3% version or whatever it is. I never realise my mistake until I start drinking it! I'm assuming this will be more like wyld wood than that though (for no other reason than that its in a box...)

Over 7% and far too much extra sugar has been added. 6.3% sounds like lots of lovely apple juice.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Yes I prefer that as well. Although its in a bottle and you can't take it to Glastonbury.. I wonder if you decant it into a plastic bottle would it still be fresh for a while. Some research might be called for here.

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

IMG_20200204_192147.jpg

Westons is really good cider, it’s Herefordshire cider and very nice.

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

We stayed at Worthy View for my first two Glastonburys when it first opened. There was a chap selling Cider on the road up to Worthy View off the Main road. To my undying shame we didn't buy any as we had bought our own supply of beer.

Farmers in Somerset always have the best cider, I used to collect milk from farms and would often get farmers home brew, proper flat, cloudy and very very strong. There’s plenty who sell it commercially on a small scale. Just follow the cider for sale signs.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:11 PM, Barneym said:

This man is a legend http://wilkinscider.com/

visited his farm a couple of years ago, he just gives you a half pint glass and it’s help yourself. Dry, sweet or a mix of the two. We were such a fan we ordered 20l for our wedding you just call him up and he arranged to post it to London using Royal Mail. He didn’t even want advance payment just said to send him a cheque once it arrived.

I was in Glastonbury Town over the weekend and Rodger the Cider man was in the king Arthur pub, I didn't know who he was until he got a shout out from the band (Chris Jagger band). 

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Haha yes, I remember you saying this before. I quoted it at someone the other week, they thought I was a proper connosieur. Which of course I am.

Doesn't matter that loads of reputable cider makes add sugar, or that you can use other techniques to concentrate the juice or cider (such as partial freezing) - I'm sticking with my 6-7%!

In all seriousness, I have some Burrow Hill in the freezer for emergencies and I usually start defrosting in the evening when I've run out of other booze and really fancy a drink; because the freezing point of ethanol is so much lower than water, when you defrost, the initial liquor that comes out is noticeably stronger than the normal stuff! I end up getting rather tipsy on the first night and then hardly getting drunk at all the following day when it's all melted.