Is it OK to book bands who sing about killing Tories?

kalifire

Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...

• More of them, please.
    • Meh, it’s only a song.
    • Not at all cool. A booking oversight.
    • Only if we can add Kate Hoey.

Eesh. I don't like the sentiment as it's the flip side of the same shitty coin that is the language of hate that just fills everything at the moment.

But not do I like the censorship and cancellation. Whoever named Voltaire has the point of it.

But I can see Glastonbury Festival as an entity being between a rock and a hard place. They dont oversee the booking of every single act, and when something like this comes on the radar, especially with the inclusive nature of the festival and their response to the Jo Cox murder, I can understand they'd maybe take a dim view.

Fuck me this world is just horrible at the moment :(

8 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Is it ok for the BBC to have them on their playlist whilst simultaneously complaining about Glastonbury booking them? I personally don't think it's good to kill anyone. I do also believe in freedom of speech. It's complex. 

I suppose Voltaire (at least we think he was the originator of the quote) applies here:

I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It

I also think you can say what you want and people have every right to criticise you for saying it. 

Voltaire can fuck right off. If he ever had to use Twitter he'd change his mind.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Voltaire can fuck right off. If he ever had to use Twitter he'd change his mind.

To be fair to Voltaire, he never actually said it.

It comes from a 1906 biography by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, in which it was intended to represent a summary of his thinking on free speech issues. “I did not mean to imply,” she wrote later, “that Voltaire used these words verbatim.”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, marcoolio said:

It comes from a 1906 biography by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, in which it was intended to represent a summary of his thinking on free speech issues. “I did not mean to imply,” she wrote later, “that Voltaire used these words verbatim.”

Every day is a school day!

2 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

In that case Evelyn Beatrice Hall is also on my shit list. I'm sick of giving Nazis platforms.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Eesh. I don't like the sentiment as it's the flip side of the same shitty coin that is the language of hate that just fills everything at the moment.

But not do I like the censorship and cancellation. Whoever named Voltaire has the point of it.

But I can see Glastonbury Festival as an entity being between a rock and a hard place. They dont oversee the booking of every single act, and when something like this comes on the radar, especially with the inclusive nature of the festival and their response to the Jo Cox murder, I can understand they'd maybe take a dim view.

Fuck me this world is just horrible at the moment :(

The world is just fine, people need to stop finding reasons to be offended and realise we don't live in a utopian society where nobody can be offended. Remember that sticks and stones rhyme? Clearly they don't teach that anymore.

7 minutes ago, Chris Wilders Moretti said:

It would be a pretty w*nk festival if the only acts booked were ones that you personally approved of

In my opinion it would be the best festival going. :) 

5 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I think you may be confused, Garbage are a completely different band.

Garbage, now there's a good band.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cos it's bollocks?

It isn't though is it.  Every single person will be offended by a multitude of different things, what offends you may not offend me, it's impossible to cater for that unless we all walk around with signs round our necks with the list of things that may offend us.

Edited by Dave_c

This is the song in question that led to Killdren being banned:

I mean, they're not wrong in their criticisms of the Tories, but Jesus, this is like something out of Nathan Barley. And the lyrics are as if they were penned by a teenager who has just discovered left wing politics for the first time.

Edited by VCK
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dave_c said:

It isn't though is it.  Every single person will be offended by a multitude of different things, what offends you may not offend me, it's impossible to cater for that. 

It's not about offence though. It's about the context in which the words are used.  Punching up is generally ok, punching down generally isn't.  Words can be used to harass or intimidate vulnerable people.  They're not just meaningless noise.

The sticks and stones rhyme is to help children who're being bullied feel better - not a code to live by.

• Upvote 3