Is it OK to book bands who sing about killing Tories?

kalifire

Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...

• More of them, please.
    • Meh, it’s only a song.
    • Not at all cool. A booking oversight.
    • Only if we can add Kate Hoey.

Ironically the tweet mentioned is probably less offensive than the subject matter in a good chunk of fat white family’s material 

The point is that they’re outrageous. That’s their thing. It’s so obvious that is the case if you see them live or listen to their lyrics. They have a song called ‘bomb disneyland’, be sick/get naked/wear Ian Brady t shirts on stage, open their set with a call to prayer. Everything about it screams ‘we’re provoking a reaction for the sake of it’. Whatever your personal opinion of that stance, what it definitely doesn’t do is say ‘take everything we say literally’.

I’d be much more concerned if reaction like this prevented bands from being booked at Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

Remember the last election when Corbyn got a load of outrage because he wouldn't say he'd wipe out millions of civilians with nuclear fire, then May said she would absolutely push the button? So literally saying you'll mass murder millions of  people is not only acceptable but a requirement to be PM, but a song about killing tories that's not even meant literally is aparantly unacceptable! 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Remember when everyone used to punch their parents in the face following instructions from the beastie boys regarding the importance of fighting for your right to party--dark times! 

My mum gave me a clout once for singing “world shut your mouth” (by Julian Cope [for the young uns]) at her...so it works both ways!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Canning them sets a dangerous precedent, I don’t like it.

Totally agree. Expect lots of Daily Fail articles in future years digging over artists back catalogs, Tweets, comments etc to pick out anything worth complaining about in the hopes of mobilising the moaning masses (few) to have an impact on the Glastonbury ethos.

Of course, they won't find anything wrong if Morrissey or Clapton want to play.

Lets hope they don’t check some of Wu-Tangs lyrics. Censoring due to the mob is never a good idea, the same mob will go through the rest of the acts and find fault with lots of things. 

10 minutes ago, Mawson said:

Seems Glastonbury disagree with most on here!

I don't like this at all. I appreciate after what happened to Jo Cox that people need to be careful what they say and people should be challenged on what they say but how many acts at the festival will have lyrics that are distasteful to some. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't like this at all. I appreciate after what happened to Jo Cox that people need to be careful what they say and people should be challenged on what they say but how many acts at the festival will have lyrics that are distasteful to some. 

Not many will have lyrics about killing people though.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's the problem with caving to pressure from the right. It assumes they're acting in good faith, when invariably they aren't.

And that they can be placated- they can’t. Now pressure will be on fat white family, then likely wu tang

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Not many will have lyrics about killing people though.

I don't know a lot of rap acts have once about killing the police or homophobic lyrics. I just think it sets a dangerous precedent. It could also mean that things people say that they maybe even no longer agree with can be held against them forever.