Is it OK to book bands who sing about killing Tories?

kalifire

Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...

• More of them, please.
    • Meh, it’s only a song.
    • Not at all cool. A booking oversight.
    • Only if we can add Kate Hoey.

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fat White Family aren't the act whose song lyrics are under the microscope regarding Tories, just that their "song topics include abusive relationships, serial killers and addiction to class A drugs". It's a 2015 tweet they are receiving flak for here. Worth pointing out though that they have always been 'edgelords', as one might say, and even went onstage at All Points East with an Ian Brady t-shirt last weekend so they are probably quite enjoying this latest media attempt to stir up some outrage.

'Edgelords' is a very good word. I'll stick with 'shite', personally... :)

Band sings a song about killing tories, national news. 

Tories enact policies that end up killing the poor, the sick, the disabled, the homeless, the elderly and end up reducing the life expectancy of the whole nation, just another day at the office. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 28

8 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Tories enact policies that end up killing the poor, the sick, the disabled, the homeless, the elderly and end up reducing the life expectancy of the whole nation, just another day at the office. 

Austerity is good for you, don't you know? 

9 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

The song is actually called "Kill the Tory Scum (Before They Kill You)". but the media must have found the bit in parentheses to be disposable. :P Not gonna lie though, having listened to the song I think the only movement it would inspire is movement away from there asap.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes, everyone knows it's not meant literally otherwise they'd have been arrested and charged with incitement. 

Should morrisey have been banned for singing "hang the DJ"? 

Last time I saw The Smyths at the festival they replaced this with "hang Theresa", which is much more preferable to "Hang the DJ", because (and I can't believe this hasn't been more widely reported before now, but I only saw this for the first time in a Guardian article earlier last week) Morrissey made comments around that time of their being a "black pop conspiracy" and generally being disdainful of black music. So no knowing the context around that song, I'd happily support it being buried tbh.

Really not a fan of incitement of violence towards any MPs, even oxygen-thieving Tory scum, in a post-Jo Cox murder society. But at the same time it's nice that the BBC and Times can find time to get outraged about this rather than all those preventable austerity deaths, or deaths caused by British weapons in Yemen, or impending deaths and mass displacement of people in the global south caused by our refusal to take climate change seriously.

Is it ok for the BBC to have them on their playlist whilst simultaneously complaining about Glastonbury booking them? I personally don't think it's good to kill anyone. I do also believe in freedom of speech. It's complex. 

I suppose Voltaire (at least we think he was the originator of the quote) applies here:

I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It

I also think you can say what you want and people have every right to criticise you for saying it. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As someone with a copy of Panic here on the shelf, at the time I thought the DJs in question were more of the Radio 1 Simon Bates and DLT sort. Obviously not really the case though.  It's pretty tainted.

Yeah, without knowing the context it just seems like a dweeby kid's rant about the shit that gets played in bars and clubs. Which, for the archetypical Smiths fan that most of this board were at 17/18 years old, seems like a really smart thing to request in the shite indie discos playing landfill and Britpop you have to go to because all your mates aren't as precious or individual as you are.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As someone with a copy of Panic here on the shelf, at the time I thought the DJs in question were more of the Radio 1 Simon Bates and DLT sort. Obviously not really the case though.  It's pretty tainted.

Ironically in Marr's book he claims he and Morrissey had a shared love of a lot of black disco acts though. Marr obviously loves it as evidenced by calling his son Nile and his relationship with Nile. Sometimes people say what they think is cool rather than actually believing it. I know there was a radio show recently can't remember who was being interviewed but there were talking about punk being a reaction to disco but that most punks probably had a lot of disco in their collections but just wouldn't admit to it as the scenes were so tribal back then. 

The Restarts are playing Boomtown - some interesting views on the monarchy which the Daily Mail would love to tear into:

The fucking monarchy a bunch of useless lay-abouts
They holiday all year the rest of us live on handouts
I often think about committing regicide
Lets fetch a fucking rope and hang the sponging bastards high

You don't mean shit to me - parasite monarchy
Lets end this sovereignty - go fuck yourselves you scumbags

The English fallacy we don't need an elite regency
For years they bled us dry you w*nkers ain't no better than me
Lets storm that fucking palace and boot those c**ts into the street
I want to see them suffer with no home and nothing to eat

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

If all the Tories suddenly died in a horrible boating accident, would the world be a better or worse place for it?

There's a difference between horrible accident and murder though, For a start if you murder them you create sympathy. If you studied Irish history you'd know that most Irish people didn't really care that much about trying to get independence until the Easter Rising. British actions created martyrs and huge sympathy for them. 

Also to paraphrase Jaws

You're going to need a bigger boat :D 

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Disco has consistently been the most progressive, tolerant and inclusive music movement. Punk is often way more reactionary.

On the whole and likely later on, but yer actual John Lydons and so on were generally pretty open-minded for the time.

Most of the backlash to disco was from rock fans and it wasn't coming from a good place.

Fucking pathetic article. Wish I'd voted more of them please. Bought a Sleaford Mods tshirt a few years ago that was a Daily Mail article with the headline 'Beeb backs Boris kill band' because they'd shown some of the Mods performance, thought it was hilarious lame DM attitude, find it even funnier the supposed unbiased grown up people are joining in.

That Kildren song is a banger as well, thanks for the recommendation BBC x

1 hour ago, wilko8 said:

THIS!!

Tory hunting is self defence 

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes, everyone knows it's not meant literally otherwise they'd have been arrested and charged with incitement. 

Should morrisey have been banned for singing "hang the DJ"? 

Or Margaret on the guillotine