Is it OK to book bands who sing about killing Tories?

kalifire

Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...

• More of them, please.
    • Meh, it’s only a song.
    • Not at all cool. A booking oversight.
    • Only if we can add Kate Hoey.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's not just the far right who do the dehumanising thing, or who won't allow context to play its part.

I think this is a key part of what is wrong with discourse.  Everyone's a fascist or a leftist, a gammon or a remoaner.  The ridiculousness of people constantly using name calling, childish in the extreme.  I automatically ignore the opinion of anyone who behaves in this way.

If you look on the comment section of any major media outlet you'll see it.  Every matter has to be exaggerated to the extreme, turning any issue into a caricature, every opponent into a monster, every ally into a knight in shining armour.  There are people out there who think Farage is a hero, not a slimy banker coining it for him and his mates, just as there are people who think Corbyn is anything more or less than a politician who hasn't really made much of an impact in his time as leader.

Every time we do this, we allow facts to become stories, fiction to become reality and we rage against the cartoon world we've built rather than objectively looking at the real issues of the day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

With you on this Spindles, all out of upvotes though I'm afraid. 

I find people doing this all the time now as their default tactic when discussing/ debating something even in the actual real world off of the interweb. I'm pretty sure at least some of them aren't doing it intentionally either but its just become so common now that people think rational debate is (wilfully?) misrepresenting (normally by exaggerating) someone else's position on something to create a straw man which they then spend the rest of the discussion focusing on. It's like it simplifies for them their sole aim of "winning" the argument but they pay absolutely no mind to trying to genuinely understand the position of the other person involved. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

I think this is a key part of what is wrong with discourse.  Everyone's a fascist or a leftist, a gammon or a remoaner. 

Much agree, but to me there's a nasty side effect in that this ends up masking the genuinely fascist and lunatic bits that creep in around the edges. Some of the arguments I've seen made have been terrifying. 

Keeping up the extreme Them vs Us rhetoric gets some quite reasonable people to vote with those extremes, and once the reins are handed over it's too late. 

Getting some distinctions and shades into the discussion would do wonders. Almost everyone is in the middle, being led around by a few extremes pretending that's all there is

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The festival have put themselves in an odd position now, as it's going to look quite odd if they don't drop Jo Brand. Even though there's absolutely no reason to.

Did no nor care she was on but you have a point old son..... And I agree with you on the second point.. Christ if this PC shit keeps on no one will be able to open their mouth without upsetting some one or some group.. 

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The festival have put themselves in an odd position now, as it's going to look quite odd if they don't drop Jo Brand. Even though there's absolutely no reason to.

Depends though, was it Glastonbury or Shangi-La that dropped them?

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Did no nor care she was on but you have a point old son..... And I agree with you on the second point.. Christ if this PC shit keeps on no one will be able to open their mouth without upsetting some one or some group.. 

It's not "PC shit" though mate.  It's faux outrage by the opponents of PC, it ALWAYS is.  No one is banning xmas, no one is getting locked up just for saying they're english, none of the nonsense the critics of equality like to exaggerate and claim to be normality.  It is opportunistic right wingers looking for a chance to look like the victims. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It's not "PC shit" though mate.  It's faux outrage by the opponents of PC, it ALWAYS is.  No one is banning xmas, no one is getting locked up just for saying they're english, none of the nonsense the critics of equality like to exaggerate and claim to be normality.  It is opportunistic right wingers looking for a chance to look like the victims. 

Agree, like it usually is in these situations you have bad faith actors confecting alleging  "PC gone mad" narratives which then thrive in their own echo chambers, where they whip themselves into a frenzy over entirely self-constructed exaggerated reality, so when minor incidents like this happen their confirmation bias kicks in and feeds into their own victim mentality. 

2 hours ago, cammie81 said:

Depends though, was it Glastonbury or Shangi-La that dropped them?

The statement came from Glastonbury itself, but to the wider world and the media they won't get that distinction. It's just odd as Jo is probably the biggest booking the Cabaret tent has this year (essentially a 'headliner'). It does feel like dropping a band on a minor stage that no-one had heard of was an easy fix for last week's controversy. Less easy to do it with a somewhat high profile public figure in a more prestigious slot.

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Is it?

They were likely to perform their controversial song, she is obviously not likely to perform the deliberately contentious joke.  

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The statement came from Glastonbury itself, but to the wider world and the media they won't get that distinction. It's just odd as Jo is probably the biggest booking the Cabaret tent has this year (essentially a 'headliner'). It does feel like dropping a band on a minor stage that no-one had heard of was an easy fix for last week's controversy. Less easy to do it with a somewhat high profile public figure in a more prestigious slot.

Yes, that was my main bug with the decision to drop the band.  Glasto have made a rod for their own back by caving in to the hysterical gutter press and will be expected to do so again now the bar has been set. 

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

It's not "PC shit" though mate.  It's faux outrage by the opponents of PC, it ALWAYS is.  No one is banning xmas, no one is getting locked up just for saying they're english, none of the nonsense the critics of equality like to exaggerate and claim to be normality.  It is opportunistic right wingers looking for a chance to look like the victims

My point is they cancelled a band for some word,, they probably won't cancel Joe and I hope they don't but its a fine line where do you stop where do you draw the line.... Personally if you think about it wot Joe said is just as bad.. 

I think as a nation we are getting to soft and easily upset at the things people say.. But that's just me I suppose.. 

On a lighter note 

Did anyone happen to watch that Victoria Derbyshire the other day.. She accidentally said Jeremy c**t instead of hunt.. 

Made me smile 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

To completely contradict myself...I now see they've got a few gigs coming up, and since a couple of them are already gonna be on the farm, maybe they will be back this year. I certainly hope so.

If they play I will definitely be there. Saw them in 2019 (?) at the Park and really enjoyed their set.