Is it OK to book bands who sing about killing Tories?

kalifire

Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Booking bands who sing about killing Tories...

• More of them, please.
    • Meh, it’s only a song.
    • Not at all cool. A booking oversight.
    • Only if we can add Kate Hoey.

2 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Do you allow people to be openly racist on here or would you ban their account? 

I ban the racists, because I don't wish to give them a platform here. 

This thread hasn't only been talking about racists. Some people (I'm not meaning frosty, i'd said 'far-right' in what he replied to) have also lumped in tories and Farage and other stuff and made them all the same evil and subhuman.

I'm trying to insert some space for nuance in views on any side cos without it is when the likes of Killdren get complained about.

12 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Do you allow people to be openly racist on here or would you ban their account? 

Ooh, are you going to test the limits and see if you can get de-platformed by Neil?

This tedious arse gravy of a thread could finally get interesting.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

This thread hasn't only been talking about racists. Some people (I'm not meaning frosty, i'd said 'far-right' in what he replied to) have also lumped in tories and Farage and other stuff and made them all the same evil and subhuman.

I'm trying to insert some space for nuance in views on any side cos without it is when the likes of Killdren get complained about.

?

It's important to maintain the distinctions in order to break down the tribalism enabled by simple them-vs-us - there's a reason the far-right try to maintain it. It enables them to provide an apparent united front and make the extremes look less extreme.

Most folk are just a bit scared and can be confused by charlatans. Con men have existed since time immemorial, these are just selling a different kind of snake oil - we've learnt why we have to protect people from them. The people they con aren't bad people.

And yes of course the left has their own versions of this but it's remarkably less scary so far.

• Upvote 1

In fairness to Killdren, I note from CMU today that they do also call on leftie-types to kill their own children, in order to save the planet:

https://killdren.bandcamp.com/track/save-the-world

(I added the Tory song to the playlist when Killdren self-confirmed a while back. I have this nasty feeling that the story got to the papers when someone that way inclined stuck it on shuffle and took offence...)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

In fairness to Killdren, I note from CMU today that they do also call on leftie-types to kill their own children, in order to save the planet:

https://killdren.bandcamp.com/track/save-the-world

so if they believe in equality of murder, does the equality bit make them suitable for Glastonbury after all? :P 

5 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

(I added the Tory song to the playlist when Killdren self-confirmed a while back. I have this nasty feeling that the story got to the papers when someone that way inclined stuck it on shuffle and took offence...)

I'm blaming you then. :D 

Punk should be able to call out the establishment, it in it's DNA

but asking for anyone to be killed, is a step too far. down with the government = yes kill the government = no

you are not guy fawkes

Edited by shuttlep

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I ban the racists, because I don't wish to give them a platform here. 

Sure, you make the rules and decide the limits of what is acceptable.  You're not doing nothing, you are actively administering a policy to remove the oxygen from abhorrent views. 

It is my view that if the media had shown more responsibility in recent times then we wouldn't be the divided society that we are today.  But tolerance doesn't sell papers. 

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Sure, you make the rules and decide the limits of what is acceptable.  You're not doing nothing, you are actively administering a policy to remove the oxygen from abhorrent views. 

As it happens that's not how I see it.  I don't allow here to be used by them but I don't see that as having any effect on abhorrent views.

We could tape up every racists fingers and gobs but those abhorrent views all still exist as the same abhorrent views.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

We could tape up every racists fingers and gobs but those abhorrent views all still exist as the same abhorrent views.

As someone who provides a medium by which we all exchange messages, you clearly understand that without your medium those messages wouldn't be here. 

As long as we can start a poll amongst efesters of who we want deplatformed and where we could probably launch our own party and get as many votes as change uk 

One of the problems is that the lyrics to this song are clearly aren't advocating violence or expressing a desire to literally kill a Tory. So where do you draw the line if we hide from lyrics that are a bit edgy?

Should Billie Eilish be kicked off for singing songs advocating suicide, especially when a core of her fanbase are young impressionable teenagers or on that one is that where we can draw the line and say hey, this is just a song with some gritty references and subject matter but it's not actually wanting to express a desire to commit suicide and near everyone gets that.

I mean that's one example of an artist kn the line up plucked from my head but I reckon with some research I can find a shitload from half the acts playing.

I think they done screwed up bowing to what wasn't even any pressure, just an article from a paper that no one respects. Surely they can differentiate between a song and reality, it's all very weak. Just tell them not to play the song. Job done.

One of stormzy songs has kill the government or something like that.. 

Now he's headlining which means shit loads of people will hear it... SOOOO 

kill torys 

Kill the government 

I believe there the same...... In which case why is he still playing and the other bands been kicked off the same festival.. 

Wrong I think.. 

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

One of stormzy songs has kill the government or something like that.. 

Now he's headlining which means shit loads of people will hear it... SOOOO 

kill torys 

Kill the government 

I believe there the same...... In which case why is he still playing and the other bands been kicked off the same festival.. 

Wrong I think.. 

It's utter madness in my eyes. Let's face it there's nobody that genuinely believes its an incitement to violence so it's a very slippery slope you're in with this precedent. 

Only skimmed the 13 pages of the thread

Glad @Brave Sir Robin bought up Save the World. This is the song that got me in to them. It's crass, shows there (tongue in cheek?) humor a bit more. There live show is almost pantomime and would have fitted great in S.H.I.TV I think. I did see the band a few weeks ago. I think I may have been about one of a handful of people that was at the pub for the actual gig. I now fear admitting this publicly will find me on a government watch list.

Been making think of The King Blues were a band I saw maybe 3 times over the years at Glastonbury. Always had a pretty big crowd singing along to Shooting Facists, Hang the Landlord and and after it was released Off With Their Heads.

Any way if anyone cares I've made a sort of No Killdren, No Problem on spotify to collect all the other anti-tory (and similar) sentiments that might be played at this years festival.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe because you've made that up.

I apologise.. 

It's fuck Boris and fuck the government.. 

Bit different to kill.. 

Just looking for that.. He don't like old Boris does he lol

Edited by guypjfreak

9 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I apologise.. 

It's fuck Boris and fuck the government.. 

Bit different to kill.. 

Just looking for that.. He don't like old Boris does he lol

Well while we are in the habit of taking the lyrics literally is it OK to fuck Boris? Assuming of course a lack of consent. 

17 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Well while we are in the habit of taking the lyrics literally is it OK to fuck Boris? Assuming of course a lack of consent. 

Well I suppose it's better than killing him lol