The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

I know this won't for a second stop us all obsessing over it... 😂 But honestly, how much difference does the state of the ground and the weather at this time of year make to what we actually get underfoot in June?

I can't help but think it's really down to what happens in April (A bit), May (more so) and June (much more so). i.e. if we have another month of shocking weather now, but then a dryish April-June then there would be no problem. Similarly if it had been a dry winter but tips it down through May and June then we would have another mud bath - see 2016.

Am I wrong?

5 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I know this won't for a second stop us all obsessing over it... 😂 But honestly, how much difference does the state of the ground and the weather at this time of year make to what we actually get underfoot in June?

none, as long it stops raining a few weeks before the fest and doesn't rain during. Otherwise it probably needs to stop significant rain by about the beginning of May.

The worry with me is that the weather now is similar to how it's been at this time of year for some of the muddiest fests. We'll probably end up being glad if the festival gets cancelled because of corona virus. :P 

I have to admit I'm surprised that's all it is. I've been trying to drive around some of South Wales today and would have been better off owning a jet ski. Luckily it doesn't seem like Somerset has been hit as badly. At least not the important part of Somerset ;) 

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I have to admit I'm surprised that's all it is. I've been trying to drive around some of South Wales today and would have been better off owning a jet ski. Luckily it doesn't seem like Somerset has been hit as badly. At least not the important part of Somerset ;) 

I can confirm that the Somerset levels a not important floodplain is under significant amounts of water ... 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Well all this talk amongst my friends about how we're gonna get there... never thought it'd have to be a submarine. Still... adapt and overcome. 

I might make some money with boat trips from the M5 junction now they have a purpose built pier for docking ...

• Upvote 1

The somerset levels are there to flood. That is their job. It is the reason why they are not built on, because they are a flood plain and flood in winter. It's no biggy. We have had a lot of rain in Pilton.  The road from Shepton crossroads down to the bottom of the village valley is running with water off the hills. But it drains quick too. The drainage put in behind the pyramid stage is doing it's job which means I can still puddle hop across.

It's the places further north that I feel for.

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

The somerset levels are there to flood. That is their job. It is the reason why they are not built on, because they are a flood plain and flood in winter. It's no biggy. We have had a lot of rain in Pilton.  The road from Shepton crossroads down to the bottom of the village valley is running with water off the hills. But it drains quick too. The drainage put in behind the pyramid stage is doing it's job which means I can still puddle hop across.

It's the places further north that I feel for.

absolutely ... thats why I stated about the floodplain,  wasn't making light of anyones suffering by any means  ... although we do unfortunately build on floodplains these days ... but those poor people that are suffering , you cant imagine it ....  That drainage they put in a few years back seems to do an incredible job 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Yep I think Wales got hit far more than us. We got the wind though. Our fence didn’t survive. But all in all it’s pretty good for this time of year.

41 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Yep I think Wales got hit far more than us. We got the wind though. Our fence didn’t survive. But all in all it’s pretty good for this time of year.

I always say when there are storms that Cardiff never seems to get it. The valleys do but we don't. Different story this time, though. The river outside the stadium is higher than I've ever seen it and some of my local rugby clubs were so flooded you could only just about make out the top of the rugby posts!

45 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I always say when there are storms that Cardiff never seems to get it. The valleys do but we don't. Different story this time, though. The river outside the stadium is higher than I've ever seen it and some of my local rugby clubs were so flooded you could only just about make out the top of the rugby posts!

So sad to see these sports grounds ruined. Often they don’t have money to make the repairs either.

So finally found a pair of gore-tex trainers on sale. By now I shouldn’t have to run in them but as we know it’s been very wet.

however today the farm was looking decidedly dry! The wind ( why oh why is the wind always in your face! ) has done a great job of drying the ground. Only Wonderful Walk that is still slippy. Even muddy lane is no longer the river Ghanges. So the new shoes will maybe be put away until next winter.....typical.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

however today the farm was looking decidedly dry! The wind ( why oh why is the wind always in your face! ) has done a great job of drying the ground. Only Wonderful Walk that is still slippy. Even muddy lane is no longer the river Ghanges. 

Post of the day. 😎

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

So finally found a pair of gore-tex trainers on sale. By now I shouldn’t have to run in them but as we know it’s been very wet.

however today the farm was looking decidedly dry! The wind ( why oh why is the wind always in your face! ) has done a great job of drying the ground. Only Wonderful Walk that is still slippy. Even muddy lane is no longer the river Ghanges. So the new shoes will maybe be put away until next winter.....typical.

It always will be if you're running won't it? :)