The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

I have to say that all I have been thinking about in the wake of all these storms is how the festival ground is holding up and whether this much rain is an ominous sound for the perma-saturation of the ground. My sense is that Somerset hasn't had it that bad compared to, say,  the Midlands but there's bad and then there's baaaaaaad.

Still, plenty of time to dry off I guess. That and the prospect of snow in the South West next week!

4 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

I have to say that all I have been thinking about in the wake of all these storms is how the festival ground is holding up and whether this much rain is an ominous sound for the perma-saturation of the ground. My sense is that Somerset hasn't had it that bad compared to, say,  the Midlands but there's bad and then there's baaaaaaad.

Still, plenty of time to dry off I guess. That and the prospect of snow in the South West next week!

I won't post my photo of the Somerset Levels :) 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

How reliable is that conduit system now which I'd guess in circa 18th century?

Didn’t they all used to drink weak Ale in those days rather than risk getting all sorts of nasty diseases drinking the water? I’m sure I remember Sir Tony Robinson saying that.   Something that is still practiced in certain parts of Glasgow.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t they all used to drink weak Ale in those days rather than risk getting all sorts of nasty diseases drinking the water? I’m sure I remember Sir Tony Robinson saying that.   Something that is still practiced in certain parts of Glasgow.

Small beer - about 1.5-2% so you can drink it all day, and just about refresh yourself without ever really getting pissed. It means that water doesn’t go stagnant and bad, and can be used for rehydrative purposes as there’s enough grains and yeast to keep it ‘good’. I like this idea, and tend to adopt it at Glastonbury every year - though mine is pints at 4% or rum at nice refreshing amounts, so I remain a lovely level of nice drunk without ever really getting shitted and dealing with a hangover 🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Small beer - about 1.5-2% so you can drink it all day, and just about refresh yourself without ever really getting pissed. It means that water doesn’t go stagnant and bad, and can be used for rehydrative purposes as there’s enough grains and yeast to keep it ‘good’. I like this idea, and tend to adopt it at Glastonbury every year - though mine is pints at 4% or rum at nice refreshing amounts, so I remain a lovely level of nice drunk without ever really getting shitted and dealing with a hangover 🤣🤣

Yes it’s a strange thing, back home three pints and I Have had enough but at glasto pint after pint is consumed from morning to late night with little affect. Well at least I think so as some memories are a bit hazy. 

The state of the ground was lovely today during our site visit - we had wellies on but the paths were pretty solid and we could’ve easily coped with boots or maybe even some stiff walking shoes. Photo attached of puddle near Mary’s Gate as a tribute to @deebeedoobee‘s tireless efforts in this thread!

61383150-AB25-4562-B4A8-EB925854824A.jpeg

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, plot2pot said:

The state of the ground was lovely today during our site visit - we had wellies on but the paths were pretty solid and we could’ve easily coped with boots or maybe even some stiff walking shoes. Photo attached of puddle near Mary’s Gate as a tribute to @deebeedoobee‘s tireless efforts in this thread!

61383150-AB25-4562-B4A8-EB925854824A.jpeg

Many thanks Plot2pot. As we have not had much more weather since yesterday I'll probably leave the PM until later in the week. Might see a reduction in the PM by then.