The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

3 minutes ago, karaseen said:

I went for a walk on the farm last Saturday during Storm Dennis and it was soggy obviously.  It was so soggy that my walking boots leaked and my feet were soaked despite my boots never sinking in low enough for the water to get in over the top.  I was wearing long waterproof trousers as well.  Perhaps they are defective.

This has made me rethink my allegiance to Team Walking Boots! I have a lot of thinking to do. 

just add a pair of sealskinz socks you will be good :) 

2 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Surely the state of the ground is a year round priority topic... certainly based off this thread anyway.

I now rely on photos of puddles rather than the weather app on my phone.

I think I could be stood in the pissing down rain in front of the pyramid and would still be adamant it’s all going to be fine based on pictures of that puddle and the well.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

just add a pair of sealskinz socks you will be good :) 

I’ve looked at these before. £40 a pair I believe. Let’s say worst case scenario is 2016 mud - I’m assuming I’d need a new pair each day? I know they’re waterproof but even so they must be vile after a day in them?

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

I’ve looked at these before. £40 a pair I believe. Let’s say worst case scenario is 2016 mud - I’m assuming I’d need a new pair each day? I know they’re waterproof but even so they must be vile after a day in them?

a thin pair of bamboo socks underneath stops them smelling too much ... and any mud can be washed off .. they are amazingly repellant ... one year ( cant remember which ) I was dancing in puddles and my feet remained totally dry 

So today’s farm run was nasty. Wet, cold, windy. I’ve had to retire my gortex trainers after 500 miles and resorted to my summer shoes too soon. It was the river running down muddy lane that did it. Guess they will be drying out in front of the fire before tonight’s run. I like running in the rain but boy is that wind cold. 
we’ve had some really sharp rain showers but the puddle measure ( hear by  known as the PM) seems to have remained stable.

9C9FE7AA-A52D-4049-B9B9-078F78310A19.thumb.jpeg.8f58cf78d01ac8e0cdc7502df9a35ea2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

So today’s farm run was nasty. Wet, cold, windy. I’ve had to retire my gortex trainers after 500 miles and resorted to my summer shoes too soon. It was the river running down muddy lane that did it. Guess they will be drying out in front of the fire before tonight’s run. I like running in the rain but boy is that wind cold. 
we’ve had some really sharp rain showers but the puddle measure ( hear by  known as the PM) seems to have remained stable.

9C9FE7AA-A52D-4049-B9B9-078F78310A19.thumb.jpeg.8f58cf78d01ac8e0cdc7502df9a35ea2.jpeg

In years to come this puddle will have its own blue plaque 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

If the well is 150 feet above the level of the Pyramid and the well is nearly full, doesn't that mean the Pyramid field should be under 150 feet of water.

I obviously don't know how wells work.

I just thought exactly the same!

I'm a +1 for not knowing how wells work - can anyone help us out here?

17 hours ago, stuie said:

I assume the well was dug down to reach the permanent ground water, then the shaft sides would have been bricked up .  The well would then fill up, allowing access to water at all times of the year. 

Ding dong dell pussy in the well 

who put her in, ‘twas little Johnny Flynn 

sadistic little bastard 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Our well is part of a conduit system through the village, water flows from higher than us, through pipes that run under next doors house to the well, out by pipes down to a series of sumps as it goes down the hill through the village. It shows the level of water about rather than the true level underground.  If it rains a lot, level goes up and then slowly down again.

If there was really a layer of water 18 inches below the surface the house would either fall down or sink.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I assume the well was dug down to reach the permanent ground water, then the shaft sides would have been bricked up .  The well would then fill up, allowing access to water at all times of the year. 

who put her in little Johnny Flynn 

sadistic little bastard 

7 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Our well is part of a conduit system through the village, water flows from higher than us, through pipes that run under next doors house to the well, out by pipes down to a series of sumps as it goes down the hill through the village. It shows the level of water about rather than the true level underground.  If it rains a lot, level goes up and then slowly down again.

If there was really a layer of water 18 inches below the surface the house would either fall down or sink.

Makes perfect sense!  Thank you.

I feel much more knowledgeable about wells now.   How about you @Ommadawn?

21 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Image result for im learnding

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Interesting.  So we can add hydrostatics to meteorology and soil mechanics as  the e festers areas of expertise! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

who put her in little Johnny Flynn 

sadistic little bastard 

You need to rethink your punctuation. Doesn't matter how sadistic someone is, they're not going to get a live cat into little Johnny Flynn. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You need to rethink your punctuation. Doesn't matter how sadistic someone is, they're not going to get a live cat into little Johnny Flynn. 

Are you sure? , who knows what perversions are prevalent in the darkest parts of rural Britain. 

Original post edited in the interests of good taste 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris