The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

8 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Hurrah, home again.

Driving from Red Gate through site up to the CN Field the tracks were dry and actually dusty in places. There were patches of mus on the verges by the tracks but they were clearly where vehicles went off the track and caused deep depressions which were compacted and collected water which was unable to drain due to the compaction. There was also a thin smear of mud outside Maceos at the bottom of The railway line bank which is to be expected as it is under the canopy of trees and so gets no direct sun.

We arrived at the CN field and parked on the track to say hi to Sally (Glastonbury Royalty, Field coordinator and gorgeous) and to ask her where to dump our stuff and which route to take across her pristine field. She said that as long as we avoided her drilled through water main area we'd be fine.

Drove a fully laden Transit towing a fully laden 2.75 tonne trailer across the grass to our pitch with no wheel spin. Result. That pretty much sums up the state of the ground. Slightly damp but right now I have no concerns whatsoever. Looking at the various different weather forecasts I'm confidant that eevrything will be fine. OK, no heatwave but it isn't looking to me that it will be unpleasant. 

It's all good man. (Sorry for the BB ref :) )

Out of upvotes! ?? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

(BTW, from now on I am going to respect the new policy of the festival which asks people not to post spoilers of what is being built on site so as not to spoil the surprise. I do normally view many rules and indeed laws as mere guidelines but in this case they do have me onboard.)

Pic below is in the shade at the bottom of a bank outside Maceo's

IMG_20190620_000856.jpg

That track looks great, even better than last Sunday. 

im with you on the spoilers Dusty. This year I think there is lots for even the veteran Festival person to get excited about.

as today ( Wednesday) saw no rain and a nice breeze this has really helped the site. I think this is the weather ( plus warmer temperatures) for the next few days so the site should be in top notch by Sunday when the traffic ramps up.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

That track looks great, even better than last Sunday. 

im with you on the spoilers Dusty. This year I think there is lots for even the veteran Festival person to get excited about.

as today ( Wednesday) saw no rain and a nice breeze this has really helped the site. I think this is the weather ( plus warmer temperatures) for the next few days so the site should be in top notch by Sunday when the traffic ramps up.

Out of upvotes but love you Dee. X

• Like 1

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually now wishing it was this weekend.

Wouldn’t it!! So far it would have been an awesome start to the festival. We’ve had no rain and it’s starting to get warmer. The weekend is promised to be the perfect temperature. 

Ah well, we can just cross out fingers and toes and hope we get what we want next weeek.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Hurrah, home again.

Driving from Red Gate through site up to the CN Field the tracks were dry and actually dusty in places. There were patches of mud on the verges by the tracks but they were clearly where vehicles went off the track and caused deep depressions which were compacted and collected water which was unable to drain due to the compaction. There was also a thin smear of mud outside Maceos at the bottom of The railway line bank which is to be expected as it is under the canopy of trees and so gets no direct sun.

We arrived at the CN field and parked on the track to say hi to Sally (Glastonbury Royalty, Field coordinator and gorgeous) and to ask her where to dump our stuff and which route to take across her pristine field. She said that as long as we avoided her drilled through water main area we'd be fine.

Drove a fully laden Transit towing a fully laden 2.75 tonne trailer across the grass to our pitch with no wheel spin. Result. That pretty much sums up the state of the ground. Slightly damp but right now I have no concerns whatsoever. Looking at the various different weather forecasts I'm confidant that eevrything will be fine. OK, no heatwave but it isn't looking to me that it will be unpleasant. 

Interestingly the grass seems to be an inch or maybe an inch and a half longer than usual. Maybe cut longer so that it wil draw more moisture out of the ground and also create a slighty more solid mat if the ground deteriorates a little?

(BTW, from now on I am going to respect the new policy of the festival which asks people not to post spoilers of what is being built on site so as not to spoil the surprise. I do normally view many rules and indeed laws as mere guidelines but in this case they do have me onboard.)

Pic below is in the shade at the bottom of a bank outside Maceo's. 

IMG_20190620_000856.jpg

Drilled through water main? 

6 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Hurrah, home again.

Driving from Red Gate through site up to the CN Field the tracks were dry and actually dusty in places. There were patches of mud on the verges by the tracks but they were clearly where vehicles went off the track and caused deep depressions which were compacted and collected water which was unable to drain due to the compaction. There was also a thin smear of mud outside Maceos at the bottom of The railway line bank which is to be expected as it is under the canopy of trees and so gets no direct sun.

Interestingly the grass seems to be an inch or maybe an inch and a half longer than usual. Maybe cut longer so that it wil draw more moisture out of the ground and also create a slighty more solid mat if the ground deteriorates a little?

Pic below is in the shade at the bottom of a bank outside Maceo's. 

IMG_20190620_000856.jpg

Looks amazing! Cheers!

Was the testing leg the bionic one? If so also looking good! 

7 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Cheers for the update, all looking good. 

I met Sally a couple of weeks ago (CN provide the tent for our work summer party and I was helping set up). She is so bloody lovely! 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Wouldn’t it!! So far it would have been an awesome start to the festival. We’ve had no rain and it’s starting to get warmer. The weekend is promised to be the perfect temperature. 

Ah well, we can just cross out fingers and toes and hope we get what we want next weeek.

Forecast from now up to end of festival has improved greatly since I went to bed last night.

Have faith in the Big Dog. 

I am beginning to fall in love with him a little bit.

11 hours ago, Wickedfaerie said:

Great to look at. Not so great when you're stuck amongst them trying to get down the A37 on the Sunday before! haha!

I've got a family meal at the Crossways in North Wootton on Sunday... How long should I give myself to arrive from Shepton?!

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I've got a family meal at the Crossways in North Wootton on Sunday... How long should I give myself to arrive from Shepton?!

Just remember that the road from Pilton A361 to north Wootton (just by the crown pub) is closed to all except village pass holders. I'm not sure when this comes into force but security set up on Saturday.  I'll check my paperwork and see what it says.

You are probably best going to wells and coming into Wootton from that direction as traders won't use that road so much.

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just remember that the road from Pilton A361 to north Wootton (just by the crown pub) is closed to all except village pass holders. I'm not sure when this comes into force but security set up on Saturday.  I'll check my paperwork and see what it says.

You are probably best going to wells and coming into Wootton from that direction as traders won't use that road so much.

Ah that would be kind, thank you.

I was thinking it may be better going Wells way, it had completely slipped my mind we'd be sharing the roads with the traders!

My Wife's grandparents will be coming from Street so better give them a heads up ref traffic as well... 

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Ah that would be kind, thank you.

I was thinking it may be better going Wells way, it had completely slipped my mind we'd be sharing the roads with the traders!

My Wife's grandparents will be coming from Street so better give them a heads up ref traffic as well... 

Just looked it up. That road closes on Tuesday. However I’d still come the Wells way then you miss the traffic.

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:
Good morning happy smiley people. Today’s facts ( believe them or not , I give no shits):

RAM jam jar = 30mm. So some evaporation occurring.

The gherkin = 0 mm. no rainfall in 24 hours

avocado eaten - replaced with a more high tech device. 

well sticky stick = well dry. Base harder than it’s been since records began. Mud thick and difficult for 2 inches. Increasingly difficult to get the stick into the base. Not yet got to “snappy stick” status but we are on our way. 

Big Dog paws= Flakey.  A little  like himself this morning. Current position- sideways on grass soaking up some rays.

6117E4FE-7908-479F-9E22-AC6198D0B13F.jpeg

? Since records began