The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Don't think so Gnom.  The Other was just a quagmire bang in front of the stage so they were filling it with wood chippings and stuff if I remember.  The metal walkways were the ones that were stuck at Download IIRC, so caused loads of problems across site but not the Other start.

I seem to remember there being issues with recovering the trackway from Download (which was obviously buried in the mud at Donington) and getting it down to Somerset which was one of the reasons there was less of it available in the car parks that year.

7 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Download is cursed when it comes to weather, their 2016 was worse than ours, and I thought 2016 was the most exhausting festival I have attended. Some friends of mine are currently cycling there with the Heavy Metal Truants raising money for Nordoff Robbins, Teenage Cancer trust and Childline, they are not having the funnest time.

I did both that year.

I was tired...

Just now, ripcurl85 said:

I seem to remember there being issues with recovering the trackway from Download (which was obviously buried in the mud at Donington) and getting it down to Somerset which was one of the reasons there was less of it available in the car parks that year.

That's the bunny.  Knew it was the tracks, but was thinking walkways rather than car parks.

30 minutes ago, rubick said:

Hahaha ?

"Yeeeeow ya big metal bastards, feared a the rain are yiz aye?"

Hahaha this was literally my first thought! 

"I thought those studded leather jacket and metal band t-shirt wearing lot thought they were hardcore?" 

Musta got mud in their hair. 

3 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

I didn’t know this!! It all makes sense now. Let’s hope they get it there this year! 

Just now, Quark said:

That's the bunny.  Knew it was the tracks, but was thinking walkways rather than car parks.

it's also what affected the Caravan fields - there weren't enough tracks to allow vehicles all the way into the fields, and as it was so boggy, people were immeadiatly getting stuck, so all vehicles ended up needing to be towed in by tractor, which caused -massive- delays. I usually leave at 7AM from near Bristol and get on iste, parked up by about 9:30AM.

In 2016 I parked up at 6PM. Took -11 hours- to get there!

fingers crossed this year there is more track availab;le and already in place!

You’d hope that any puddles on site would dry up by the fest, puddles with slightly warmer weather and can dry up in no time. You’d also hope that Glasto has learnt from 2016 with the mud to keep it to a minimum and bring in the right tracks/wood chips to help deal with it. 

1 minute ago, xandercs12 said:

You’d hope that any puddles on site would dry up by the fest, puddles with slightly warmer weather and can dry up in no time. You’d also hope that Glasto has learnt from 2016 with the mud to keep it to a minimum and bring in the right tracks/wood chips to help deal with it. 

Pretty sure I remember reading in 2016 that Eavis bought the entire country's stock of wood chip to try and soak up some moisture.  So if it gets bad enough, I dont it matters how much wood chip or tracks you have.  Mud gonna be mud.  

Well for comparison in Newcastle we had 48/72 hours worth of rain including a massive amount of rain Wednesday daytime which was just topped up and up yesterday but today it is dry and the big puddle and river I seen flowing on Wednesday is now bone dry and it's not exactly warm here at the minute. So as long as it stops for a little bit on site then it should be ok in theory. 

32 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If I'm remembering correctly, part if the issue with Glastonbury 2016 was that they share some infrastructure with Download and a lot of it was wrecked so had to be sourced from elsewhere. I think this was part of the reason for the delayed start on The Other.

Indeed, didn't the lack of walkways contribute to the chaos in the caravan field?

I'm sure I've heard that they've made alternative arrangements this year and have sourced the walkways from elsewhere this year.

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I love that we're at the level of discussing the gauge of metal paths.

The supplier, Eve Trakway, appear to have changed their name to Live Trakway over the fallow year. Same people who deal with the fencing. 

I'd describe this level of knowledge as granular. 

7 hours ago, chazwwe said:

On the download facebook page it seems a fair few people were unprepared for any kind of weather a lot of first time festival goers taking £20-£40 pop up tents with single layer, no wellies or walking boots. Getting near the site and driving straight back home. There's also been a lot of rumours about security moving peoples tents closer together to make more room because they can't open up one of the sites, but they're doing this when the tent is not occupied so they're not putting it back up properly, lots of flooded tents before the music starts and I'd probably say 'nah'

Nightmare.... NO ONE should be allowed to touch your tent unless you are with it.. 

6 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Nightmare.... NO ONE should be allowed to touch your tent unless you are with it.. 

And really not needed - when space is tight people start finding the tiniest of gaps and cooperating with each other in a managed way - security replonking things around slightly will have no affect other than wasting their own time, damaging peoples' stuff and pissing people off.

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

And really not needed - when space is tight people start finding the tiniest of gaps and cooperating with each other in a managed way - security replonking things around slightly will have no affect other than wasting their own time, damaging peoples' stuff and pissing people off.

That and I struggle to remember where my tent is on the first day at the best of times. If it was moved along with other tents and flags that I use to get my bearings, I'd probably never find it again