The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

Aye, pretty sure it was worse conditions on opening day of 2011 and I did that bastard journey on crutches.  Not going to diss the download massive though, by all accounts a great festival with a great crowd and they have had some pretty awful weather over the years.

32 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Aye, pretty sure it was worse conditions on opening day of 2011 and I did that bastard journey on crutches.  Not going to diss the download massive though, by all accounts a great festival with a great crowd and they have had some pretty awful weather over the years.

I've been within about 15 miles of the download site all week, much closer than that for large parts of it, and I reckon they've probably had far, far worse pitching conditions than we did in on that Wednesday in 2011. It spent all of Monday and Tuesday absolutely chucking it down absolutely saturating the ground, and since then has been raining off and on leaving no chance for the land to recover.

The comparison that comes to mind is not far off if it had been still been cold and raining when we arrived in 2016.

On the download facebook page it seems a fair few people were unprepared for any kind of weather a lot of first time festival goers taking £20-£40 pop up tents with single layer, no wellies or walking boots. Getting near the site and driving straight back home. There's also been a lot of rumours about security moving peoples tents closer together to make more room because they can't open up one of the sites, but they're doing this when the tent is not occupied so they're not putting it back up properly, lots of flooded tents before the music starts and I'd probably say 'nah'

Yeah I love pretty close to Download and have been following these threads all week. What I have seen out of the window (and been caught in) has been far worse than what has been described for Pilton. 

17 minutes ago, DJL said:

Yeah I love pretty close to Download and have been following these threads all week. What I have seen out of the window (and been caught in) has been far worse than what has been described for Pilton. 

Aye same here. I'm about 5 miles away and it's not stopped raining since Sunday night. It seemed to stop and brighten up a bit last night, but it's been an ungodly amount of rain.

Issue with Download is also there's not a whole lot to do on the Wednesday and Thursday, which is compounded if the conditions are bad. Those two days are more just like camping with a few things happening in the village. I've camped there in awful conditions and before the music starts it can get REALLY bleak. We were just huddled in a tent shivering for pretty much an entire day. 

Regardless of what happens with the weather, Glastonbury will not be as bad as that. 

Edited by jparx

This is torture. Presumably because we are getting closer accuweather now has the day split into FOUR. Morning, afternoon, evening and overnight. This has not only doubled the necessary time to fully explore the forecast but necessitated me rebuilding my excel model. 

Sorry wrong thread! Too early for me to function properly. Especially after that video. 

Edited by gherkin8r

5 hours ago, frostypaw said:

No way that can drain away in two weeks. We're all going to die.

If the site can dry up in by the Monday in 2016 (read that on here) it can certainly dry up 12 days out from the festival with a fraction of the people churning it up. All we need is a couple sunny days, like the ones forecast for next weekend. 

8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

People leaving download already and it's not started....????

But this is the tabloid press doing what they do best.  When their not w*nking over Borris, Brexit, The Tory Party,  Where Maddie is, Who killed Jill Dando, Oh wasn't Diana fab and how Corbyn walked on the wrong side of the road today they love a muddy festival.  I remember in 2013 seeing some press photographers looking for the slightest incident of mud that they could then sell pics of a MUDBATH. Looks like the beeb have found two people who've genuinely done fairly serious injuries and left. I bet there will be a few who have to leave Glastonbury because of injuries?

It's no wonder so many people think Glastonbury is always like 97/05/16 etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Aye same here. I'm about 5 miles away and it's not stopped raining since Sunday night. It seemed to stop and brighten up a bit last night, but it's been an ungodly amount of rain.

Issue with Download is also there's not a whole lot to do on the Wednesday and Thursday, which is compounded if the conditions are bad. Those two days are more just like camping with a few things happening in the village. I've camped there in awful conditions and before the music starts it can get REALLY bleak. We were just huddled in a tent shivering for pretty much an entire day. 

Regardless of what happens with the weather, Glastonbury will not be as bad as that. 

@DJL @jparx me too! 

Barrow Upon Soar, where are you guys?

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Fuck download! It's every festival for themselves at this point

It's time to baton down the hatches methinks. 

If I'm remembering correctly, part if the issue with Glastonbury 2016 was that they share some infrastructure with Download and a lot of it was wrecked so had to be sourced from elsewhere. I think this was part of the reason for the delayed start on The Other.

Download is cursed when it comes to weather, their 2016 was worse than ours, and I thought 2016 was the most exhausting festival I have attended. Some friends of mine are currently cycling there with the Heavy Metal Truants raising money for Nordoff Robbins, Teenage Cancer trust and Childline, they are not having the funnest time.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If I'm remembering correctly, part if the issue with Glastonbury 2016 was that they share some infrastructure with Download and a lot of it was wrecked so had to be sourced from elsewhere. I think this was part of the reason for the delayed start on The Other.

Don't think so Gnom.  The Other was just a quagmire bang in front of the stage so they were filling it with wood chippings and stuff if I remember.  The metal walkways were the ones that were stuck at Download IIRC, so caused loads of problems across site but not the Other start.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

All the better that all the download lot are heading home then. Hopefully they get packed up early.