The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

The only site I trust is metoffice... This is the long range forecast in the week before, next week (w/c 10/6)  is the same.. So we've got two weeks lead up on sunshine and showers and warm June temps with a few showers during the festival week .. Hopefully to dry it all up... I have everything crossed cause three of my crew have health issues that mad will not be fun with ?

image.png

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

as other people walked down ' we were warning them not to attempt to pull people out '

did they listen ? - did they fuck 

Funny enough none of us had a handy rope 

We don't have a clue what the ground looked like at that point because as you can imagine by the time we came across it was like a quicksand swamp - the ground say 30 feet away was fine but that spot was lethal

later on when everyone was rescued someone had put out warning tape but of course some idiots
just ignored the warnings and then got trapped.

even to this day I avoid that area when it has been wet.

-------------

could not believe that so many showed up with no camping gear - many ended up in the Hare Krishna tent all huddling together - I have some old B/W shots of tons of people all dressed in bin bags - a very weird year that was .

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

Beautiful photos.

Muddy years teach you tonnes about yourself (and your friendships) - they're the spoon of salt with the sugar.

Tents were bloody heavy back then, I'm not quite such a veteran but do remember my first fest back in 92, six of us sharing a 6 man tent (none of this one person in a 4 man malarky you get these days!). Looking at that picture takes me back to the bad old days of steel poles and heavy canvas 

Even so, very little got left behind as I recall (they were expensive too!)

Edited by Wurzelcat

as other people walked down ' we were warning them not to attempt to pull people out '

We don't have a clue what the ground looked like at that point because as you can imagine by the time we came across it was like a quicksand swamp - the ground say 30 feet away was fine but that spot was lethal

later on when everyone was rescued someone had put out warning tape but of course some idiots

At least you did the right thing and warned people. A friend of a friend saw a group at Glade festival years ago doing the complete opposite. 

It was a complete washout with deep,  liquid mud across the whole site. One path leading through a campsite seemed to have a long trench in it which was fully 2 feet deeper than the surrounding area but completely invisible because of the upper layer of gloop across the whole width of the path. The group had seen a few unwitting people stumble across this area and immediately sink from welly-high to waist-high in the mud.

They thought this was funny and rearranged the nearby fencing to start actually channeling people towards the trench. They set up some chairs and spent a few hours watching peoples day get ruined, filming it and laughing. I could've sworn I've seen the video myself but I can't find it on YouTube. 

I much prefer the Glastonbury spirit. Barring a bit of aggressive convoying through Silver Hayes, when things get really tough on the farm, I've only really seen people be good to each other: pointing out particularly bad areas, giving stuck people a hand and making space when someone has fallen.

10 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

At least you did the right thing and warned people. A friend of a friend saw a group at Glade festival years ago doing the complete opposite. 

It was a complete washout with deep,  liquid mud across the whole site. One path leading through a campsite seemed to have a long trench in it which was fully 2 feet deeper than the surrounding area but completely invisible because of the upper layer of gloop across the whole width of the path. The group had seen a few unwitting people stumble across this area and immediately sink from welly-high to waist-high in the mud.

They thought this was funny and rearranged the nearby fencing to start actually channeling people towards the trench. They set up some chairs and spent a few hours watching peoples day get ruined, filming it and laughing. I could've sworn I've seen the video myself but I can't find it on YouTube. 

I much prefer the Glastonbury spirit. Barring a bit of aggressive convoying through Silver Hayes, when things get really tough on the farm, I've only really seen people be good to each other: pointing out particularly bad areas, giving stuck people a hand and making space when someone has fallen.

Funny you should say that, there's a "hilarious" video of someone utterly fucked at Glastonbury swaying and falling off a bench while everyone laughs. Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it gets posted.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Funny you should say that, there's a "hilarious" video of someone utterly fucked at Glastonbury swaying and falling off a bench while everyone laughs. Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it gets posted.

I'm not saying everyone is good to everyone all the time by any means. But whenever I've been in a bit of a crush or navigating the suckiest mud, people have generally been decent to each other. 

"Fucked bloke being fucked" types do tend to draw more spectators than good samaritans and there should be an element of letting people do their thing. However, I'd say (and I think this is your point) don't bloody film them and if they're endangering themselves or someone else then find a friendly way to intervene rather than let something bad happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, alibear said:

Wasn't there meant to be a bit of a deluge overnight in the SW? Do we know if that affected the site?

By all accounts, the deluge missed the site but he skin of its teeth. Dodged a bullet

Edited by T-Mouse

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

even to this day I avoid that area when it has been wet.

-------------

could not believe that so many showed up with no camping gear - many ended up in the Hare Krishna tent all huddling together - I have some old B/W shots of tons of people all dressed in bin bags - a very weird year that was .

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

Look at all the litter around the tents! Looks like the hippies of yesteryear were just as bad as the kids of today. (I'm sure glasto-worker was the exception!).

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Look at all the litter around the tents! Looks like the hippies of yesteryear were just as bad as the kids of today. (I'm sure glasto-worker was the exception!).

that is not where we were camping - we used to camp beside my car { its not a public area any longer }  - in that area where the shot was taken there was a load of Hells Angels { may have been the Outlaws or Untouchables } and Bud wanted to get a shot by a bike - long before there was any Green Police and I am sure they would have stayed well away from their camp - one thing ' there was very few tents left at the end - no matter how bad the weather was ' - but it was not all peace and love - lucky I have a big advantage as I have strong Glaswegian accent and funny enough they were all nice to me unless they were really pissed !!! 

5 hours ago, bigbilly said:

Where would this area be on the map? 

lucky I do recall where it was - blue dot is where that was shot - we would park and camp beside my car - where red dot is.

and just because it claims its car parking - it was mainly people camping beside their cars .

easy to get in - a bit of a pain to leave.

Glastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpg

... we would park and camp beside my car - where red dot is.

and just because it claims its car parking - it was mainly people camping beside their cars .

It seems funny compared to now, that in some areas you would just drive in as near as you could get between cars and tents, then park and get the tent out to set up next to your motor.

Amazing there weren't more folks run over by "tired and emotional" drivers in cars. 

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

It seems funny compared to now, that in some areas you would just drive in as near as you could get between cars and tents, then park and get the tent out to set up next to your motor.

Amazing there weren't more folks run over by "tired and emotional" drivers in cars. 

I certainly did not do that as that meant it was murder getting back out - sure we would camp next to our cars but we always made certain it was closer to a exit route - sure there was always some drivers that were so out of it they were never going to move but it was rare that we were ever boxed in - that onsite mechanic must have made a bomb as there was always cars that needed a jump start or they had ran out of fuel - never had to use them myself so have no idea what they charged.Sure under current H&S rules and with so many cars it would never work now but it was good while it lasted.

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg331_o.thumb.jpg.9109120104814ca29952d3932a41796b.jpg
+-*

• Like 6
  • Upvote 10

7 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Sure under current H&S rules and with so many cars it would never work now but it was good while it lasted.

+-*

Yeah, I always managed to get out OK too. As you say, these days vehicles in a site that also had fires (and the occasional fireworks) would be such a no no.