The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

21 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2014 Friday is my favourite ever Glastonbury day. The thunderstorm added to it. Arcade Fire finished it.

Agreed, AF were brilliant. When the storm hit i was at West Holts waiting for Vintage Trouble to start. Unfortunately their set was cancelled due to lightening. When it stopped they had about 3-4 minutes to do an acoustic version of a song to about 50 people still at the barrier waiting ?

I was in the safety of the West Holts bar listening to some DJ playing tunes at 2000 decibels....... 

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2014 Friday is my favourite ever Glastonbury day. The thunderstorm added to it. Arcade Fire finished it.

Mine too FuzzyD! For me it all began with an ace set by Alabama 3 in The Glade (we'd sacked off Kaiser Chiefs on Other and sort of stumbled into it). Started with 30 people, ended with 300+ and a rave. Then a lost afternoon hiding from the rain in the Bimble Inn, drinking red wine, having our faces painted and being plied with Sambucca (!) by two ladies called Ruth and Sally, while the people in front of us did mushrooms. Rounded off with MIA, waving light sticks in the air. It was more special, as the debauchery was shared with my gorgeous friend who was in remission from cancer. We didn't know then, that this was going to be her last Glastonbury festival. She passed away in the November ? We'll be raising a glass to our own, much missed Sister Venus again this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

What madnesses claim is this?! Don’t you remember the godly Glasto Weather watch and his fantastic website and blogs?!

It's such nonsense. We had Azores fingers and footballer memes in 2010. This forum has been obsessed with the weather since 2007 at least.

Gawd, I'm in full on "get off my lawn you kids" mode today. I'm just as annoying as all the middle ages men were to me in 1997, shaking their heads and invoking "1985!"

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

Really bad weather does have an impact, without question. It is best to adopt the 'just get on with it' attitude, obviously but i it's constant rain/mud it is hard to deal with. I remember watching Jagwar Ma one year on Park, that may have been 2016 actually and it was just hammering it down and freezing. I reluctantly gave in 2/3 of the way through the set, was just so difficult to enjoy it in the conditions.

Still, there's a few weeks yet. Things can easily change

Interesting, that Jagwar Ma sets in 2014 was one of the finest, most enjoyable sets I have seen at Glasto,  I thought there was a cracking atmosphere, and everybody (well most people) though fuck it, its pissing it down, but I am going to have a fantastic time...  I still watch this video now, love it...

Edited by dingbat2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Interesting, that Jagwar Ma sets in 2014 was one of the finest, most enjoyable sets I have seen at Glasto,  I thought there was a cracking atmosphere, and everybody (well most people) though fuck it, its pissing it down, but I am going to have a fantastic time...  I still watch this video now, love it...

I somehow managed to miss them that year, but I have a video of the set, which I love watching back.

4 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Agreed, AF were brilliant. When the storm hit i was at West Holts waiting for Vintage Trouble to start. Unfortunately their set was cancelled due to lightening. When it stopped they had about 3-4 minutes to do an acoustic version of a song to about 50 people still at the barrier waiting ? 

I was in the safety of the West Holts bar listening to some DJ playing tunes at 2000 decibels....... 

3 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Mine too FuzzyD! For me it all began with an ace set by Alabama 3 in The Glade (we'd sacked off Kaiser Chiefs on Other and sort of stumbled into it). Started with 30 people, ended with 300+ and a rave. Then a lost afternoon hiding from the rain in the Bimble Inn, drinking red wine, having our faces painted and being plied with Sambucca (!) by two ladies called Ruth and Sally, while the people in front of us did mushrooms. Rounded off with MIA, waving light sticks in the air. It was more special, as the debauchery was shared with my gorgeous friend who was in remission from cancer. We didn't know then, that this was going to be her last Glastonbury festival. She passed away in the November ? We'll be raising a glass to our own, much missed Sister Venus again this year.

@phillyfaddle - I'm glad you have such a good memory to look back on.

We were at Craig Charles all dayer at the Shangri La. It was red hot, we then went to watch Mr Scruff at Arcadia. It never materialised due to the storm. We wandered around and found 1 bar playing tunes. I remember going back to the tent and pouring water out of my willies - then heading down to the Pyramid for Arcade Fire.  Our night was finished off with a bag of mushies and Arcade Fire. I didn't think they had done anything, but found myself laughing uncontrollably at the Baguettes stall to the right of the Pyramid. All we did was go from Arcade Fire - to the tent (which was where the JP is now - woodsies) and it took nearly 2 hours to get back. Fun times!

I only struggle with it being too hot. My least favourite festival was 2010. I saw the least amount of acts of every other. The mud and rain is part of it for me. I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

I was there for that Vintage Trouble gig. Quality stuff. I actually quite enjoyed the thunderstorm until my wellies filled with water and I had to buy some emergency socks as a long way from my tent in Darble. Arcade Fire were great though.

19 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

2014 was my late best mate's last festival as well. I have such happy memories of her at the farm from 2010 to 2014. She passed away last year, but 2014 was her last festival. Has never been quite the same without her since, but I treasure those memories so much. Feel your pain dude x

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's such nonsense. We had Azores fingers and footballer memes in 2010. This forum has been obsessed with the weather since 2007 at least.

Gawd, I'm in full on "get off my lawn you kids" mode today. I'm just as annoying as all the middle ages men were to me in 1997, shaking their heads and invoking "1985!"

You'll be voting Brexit Party before you know it.

Due to the amount of angst being displayed about the state of the ground me and the dog have been for a wander in the nice weather down past site. Whilst in the G car park he coincidently has carried out some confirmatory ground hardness testing in the form of a Clegg Hammer Reading test conducted by dropping a large turd from height but it proved inconclusive.

The clever bit was when he went straight into a modified Rockwell Hardness procedure which I shall now designate as the Rockwell Hardness Scale L (BBD) using a Big Black Dog as the indenter.  He took the initial Clegg attempt turd as the applied minor load and used his back right foot as the major load.  The major load was applied on top of the minor load and then in classic Rockwell style, removed leaving the minor load (minus the bits now between his toes).  The depth of penetration from the zero datum is measured, the penetration depth and hardness are inversely proportional as we all know. He then inspected for indentation as if surprised he had stood in his own shit. 

I was happy to see that despite people’s massive overreaction to a bit of a shower, an indentation was not visible.

It is still as hard as a hard thing in hard town on hard Tuesday

I have since spent some time cleaning shit out of a dogs paw. Living the feckin dream again

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13

1 minute ago, pilton digger said:

Due to the amount of angst being displayed about the state of the ground me and the dog have been for a wander in the nice weather down past site. Whilst in the G car park he coincidently has carried out some confirmatory ground hardness testing in the form of a Clegg Hammer Reading test conducted by dropping a large turd from height but it proved inconclusive.

The clever bit was when he went straight into a modified Rockwell Hardness procedure which I shall now designate as the Rockwell Hardness Scale L (BBD) using a Big Black Dog as the indenter.  He took the initial Clegg attempt turd as the applied minor load and used his back right foot as the major load.  The major load was applied on top of the minor load and then in classic Rockwell style, removed leaving the minor load (minus the bits now between his toes).  The depth of penetration from the zero datum is measured, the penetration depth and hardness are inversely proportional as we all know. He then inspected for indentation as if surprised he had stood in his own shit. 

I was happy to see that despite people’s massive overreaction to a bit of a shower, an indentation was not visible.

It is still as hard as a hard thing in hard town on hard Tuesday

I have since spent some time cleaning shit out of a dogs paw. Living the feckin dream again

Thank you for taking one for the team.

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

2014 was my late best mate's last festival as well. I have such happy memories of her at the farm from 2010 to 2014. She passed away last year, but 2014 was her last festival. Has never been quite the same without her since, but I treasure those memories so much. Feel your pain dude x

Really sorry to hear that ❤️

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can sit down on one of the hundreds of seats and not get a muddy arse.

As long as people don't use them to de-clag their boots.  Please people, don't do this!

I have a happy memory of sitting on one of those benches in an almost empty west holts in a torrential downpour an hour or so before RTJ in 2015, rolling a doobie under the cover of my poncho and trying to drink a pint of brothers that was filling up faster than I was drinking it (good for hydration, don't you know).

By the the RTJ hit the stage it was blazing sunshine, all thought of inclement weather forgotten.

There is no need to fear this weather we are having, everything is going to be fine.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

What madnesses claim is this?! Don’t you remember the godly Glasto Weather watch and his fantastic website and blogs?!

Think you've missed my point entirely.

Everyone was obsessed with the weather - for the festival itself. What happened in the build up was only of interest in terms of whether it would continue / stop for the festival. The words "water table" were barely mentioned prior to 2016.

55 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ah 85, now that was a hell of a year ?

The thing then was many people simply didn't take what you need for 5 days like they do now. They didn't prepare for weather, just for a party. There were loads you saw simply dressed like going to the pub - jeans, jacket and some DMs or trainers. Some with no tent or anything, so when it got messy in an unprecedented way people wrapped their muddy shoes in carrier bags, slipped on a bin bag and got wrecked.

There were lots of sleeping casualties during the day in the cinema tent and the like. 

• Like 1