The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

2 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Quickly heaved these from the archives. This was the 2014 electrical storm. It literally HEAVED it down for an hour, and then the sky broke into glorious sunshine for Elbow and we had a grand old weekend. 

storm 2.jpg

storm.jpg

FB_IMG_1559916941172.jpg

That post storm Elbow set when Guy sang 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone' is up there for me with Glastonbury moments. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Quickly heaved these from the archives. This was the 2014 electrical storm. It literally HEAVED it down for an hour, and then the sky broke into glorious sunshine for Elbow and we had a grand old weekend. 

Was an epic thunderstorm and an epic weekend that one - I thought we were done for (in terms of the ground - it wasnt great - but wasnt 2016)

24 minutes ago, incident said:

Can I just remind everyone - prior to 2016 nobody paid nearly as much attention to the weather of the build up, and especially not anything prior to festival week. There was no reason to do so - it had never caused a significant issue.

It's just that one, hugely anomalous, year that's created this worry. Even the worst forecasts don't have us getting half near as much rain as we had in the 2016 build up, and what rain we do get will be falling onto much drier ground better placed to deal with it.

Nah, that just means you weren't there in the even shitter years or your memory is as bad as mine ;) 

6 minutes ago, alisonbison said:

There is a LOT of rain forecast in the next ten days. But hopefully something drier after mid month? ?

Tbh I'd almost be more concerned if the forecast was wall to wall sunshine for the next 10 days. We're bound to get crap weather at some point in June - better to get it out the way in the first half of the month!

18 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

storm 2.jpg

storm.jpg

FB_IMG_1559916941172.jpg

I remember this one! Sunburnt and soaked. 

30 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Really bad weather does have an impact, without question. It is best to adopt the 'just get on with it' attitude, obviously but i it's constant rain/mud it is hard to deal with. I remember watching Jagwar Ma one year on Park, that may have been 2016 actually and it was just hammering it down and freezing. I reluctantly gave in 2/3 of the way through the set, was just so difficult to enjoy it in the conditions.

Still, there's a few weeks yet. Things can easily change

I think that might have been 2014, Jagwar Ma in 2016 were glorious.

42 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I think people get confused with 2016 as whilst it was a gludfest, the weather itself for the most part was generally ok, though a bit cooler than most. Got sunburnt on the Wednesday and there was the odd shower and bit of drizzle but nothing apocalyptic other than what was underfoot.

Thinking back, I'd snap your hands off for 2016's festival weather for this year. The glud can fuck off though. 

Yeah the weather during the festival was overcast, but fairly dry. The ground conditions due to the weather before it started was horrendous. Both my wellies got stuck in the mud and I got propelled forward by the crowd in south east corner and ended up ankle deep in mud in my socks. Definitely a festival low point for me and think I'll be sticking to walking boots instead of wellies from now on because of it.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

I think people get confused with 2016 as whilst it was a gludfest, the weather itself for the most part was generally ok, though a bit cooler than most. Got sunburnt on the Wednesday and there was the odd shower and bit of drizzle but nothing apocalyptic other than what was underfoot.

Thinking back, I'd snap your hands off for 2016's festival weather for this year. The glud can fuck off though. 

Wasn't there a HUGE downpour on the Sunday that missed us by a whisker as well? Apparently the next valley was destroyed.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Can I just remind everyone - prior to 2016 nobody paid nearly as much attention to the weather of the build up, and especially not anything prior to festival week. There was no reason to do so - it had never caused a significant issue.

The 2011 weather thread that started in October 2010 wants in 206 pages back

1 hour ago, incident said:

It's just that one, hugely anomalous, year that's created this worry. Even the worst forecasts don't have us getting half near as much rain as we had in the 2016 build up, and what rain we do get will be falling onto much drier ground better placed to deal with it.

What madnesses claim is this?! Don’t you remember the godly Glasto Weather watch and his fantastic website and blogs?!

55 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Watching the storm clouds come over in 2014 was amazing. We were up the hill a bit at the Pyramid and could see the gradual wave of people down the front eventually clocking the sky and rummaging for their waterproofs.

and about an hour or so before...here's said storm on the horizon

10482538_10152157538851606_8570010443160622485_n.jpg

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The number of posts about that photo. There were theories about him being a ghost and having a deep sadness in his eyes. There were Photoshop "experts" analysing the water currents and swearing blind it was doctored.

Turns out he was leaning over.

Ha! I missed the conclusion to that mystery, thanks for resolving it after all these years