The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

What on earth has happened to the positivity in this thread? For gawds sake, people - have a word with yourselves!

What happens at this point hardly makes any difference to anyone other than the faithful builders. Worthy Farm can dry out with a couple of days of sun, easily. A bit of rain now only dampens the ground, it doesn't waterlog it.

We have no reliable idea what the forecast will be until about a week before.

Pull yourselves together!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I will do my best :)

This thread is giving me the absolute fear guys. Seriously. Stop it.

I started going in 2008 and have always, always had immense respect for those who made it through 2007. That has to be the worst of all worlds. But I know mud like 2016 will be exhausting and put my other half in a right strop and all. 

The worst I've ever had it was that Friday in 2011 (cold, wet and muddy all day) and a couple of intense downpours in 2009 and 2014 (the latter leading to fair bit of difficult mud). I know I've been lucky. But my eight years of generally good weather suggests to me that it's more likely to be okay than not okay.

What year was it when we massively dodged a bullet? 2012? The fallow year that was horrific for weather.

Aside from the tiredness and effort, I hate how the site looks when it's really muddy. It's so much prettier with the sunshine and green fields. 

Yep 2012.  They moved IOW to Glasto weekend that year, it was horrific.  All the car parks were knee high in water.  Camped in puddles.  Took 5 hours to do the 5 miles from the dock to the car park as they had to get extra fields at short notice.

Still have nightmares 

Edited by watsonjm

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Seriously. 2016 was fucking hard work so stop praising it. The mud made it so difficult to get across the site. Missed lots of acts I wanted to see cos of the effort of movement and spent a fortune in bars just so we could sit down. Fuck that. Sunshine or bust with hard ground please. Will happily take the sunstroke over the misery. 

I must have been really twatted in 2016, i don't remember it being that bad, not as bad as 04, 05 and 07 they were bad.

just looking at the weather report for June, should brighten up after the 13th and be glorious for teh festival

end of, I am not even taking wellies

get your sunnies at the ready it will be a sunny festival

(I wear sunnies no matter what, you don't want to see the state of my eyes)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Exactly this. I live in Manchester and we've had more rain than Pilton in recent weeks but it's not constant enough to cause any issues and dries out quickly. I've not even used my walking boots in weeks. 

Yep walked today in trainers. They didn’t get damp.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

What on earth has happened to the positivity in this thread? For gawds sake, people - have a word with yourselves!

What happens at this point hardly makes any difference to anyone other than the faithful builders. Worthy Farm can dry out with a couple of days of sun, easily. A bit of rain now only dampens the ground, it doesn't waterlog it.

We have no reliable idea what the forecast will be until about a week before.

Pull yourselves together!

giphy-17.gif

oooh 2016 was my first one for 13 years. I arrived on Thursday after all my compadres had been there a day - so I had none of the travel chaos. I looked so clean next to everyone else but that was soon fixed after a birdcage cocktail and going arse over tit in the SE Corner.

It WAS horrendous - especially through Silver Hayes, by the Cider Bus, The SE, and the path past Arcadia up to the Park... in fact mostly everywhere.

This year will be so easy compared to that. 

1 hour ago, Dr Glasto said:

2007. But it's not raining in this pic so it can't have all been bad!

No photo description available.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Hang on. Is this the reverse of that photo where the person behind appeared to be levitating?

Found it

Screenshot_20190607-145353_Chrome.jpg.62e7ef497f940bfa0c675b64345a6635.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr Glasto said:

Mind you , this was the Park on the first day, so it was bad up there right from the word go )sorry, can you tell I've dug out my old photos haha!)

No photo description available.

This really reminds me how quickly it degraded. We got in early and there was just a few muddy tracks  through the Park and it looked ok. Went for a wander and by the we got back it was... this.

Course I might be muddling years up, but I'm sure I remember 2016 as "Oh no, oh maybe ok, nope nope nope nope"

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Exactly this. I live in Manchester and we've had more rain than Pilton in recent weeks but it's not constant enough to cause any issues and dries out quickly. I've not even used my walking boots in weeks. 

That will be put to the test at Parklife tomorrow. It's been consistently raining here since half 12 and I don't think it's gonna let up now or over the weekend. If that turns into a mudbath then...

Can I just remind everyone - prior to 2016 nobody paid nearly as much attention to the weather of the build up, and especially not anything prior to festival week. There was no reason to do so - it had never caused a significant issue.

It's just that one, hugely anomalous, year that's created this worry. Even the worst forecasts don't have us getting half near as much rain as we had in the 2016 build up, and what rain we do get will be falling onto much drier ground better placed to deal with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I will do my best :)

This thread is giving me the absolute fear guys. Seriously. Stop it.

I started going in 2008 and have always, always had immense respect for those who made it through 2007. That has to be the worst of all worlds. But I know mud like 2016 will be exhausting and put my other half in a right strop and all. 

The worst I've ever had it was that Friday in 2011 (cold, wet and muddy all day) and a couple of intense downpours in 2009 and 2014 (the latter leading to fair bit of difficult mud). I know I've been lucky. But my eight years of generally good weather suggests to me that it's more likely to be okay than not okay.

What year was it when we massively dodged a bullet? 2012? The fallow year that was horrific for weather.

Aside from the tiredness and effort, I hate how the site looks when it's really muddy. It's so much prettier with the sunshine and green fields. 

Now this is going to be controversial, bit I'd say one year where we dodged a massive bullet was... wait for it... 2016.

Woah, woah, hear me out - a bullet hit us that year, for sure, but if it had been one week earlier - shudder. That would have been worse than 2007.

5 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

The issue with mud is that you can’t sit down anywhere. It utterly ruins the festival. Anything even near 2016 would be a complete disaster. 

The wet ground does make it annoying not being able to sit down. I had one of these Poncho's in 2016 and put it down as a kind of blanket for 4-5 of us to sit or stand on and it was great. They're also great as a poncho obviously.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/10630001-waterproof-poncho-ripstop-olive.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwlujnBRDl2teOp_veulQSJAC5bHgtrJ3jsFZ_FErPrSYwP7wFWx089vyFrAKe-8-J6PXiyhoCf_Lw_wcB

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Now this is going to be controversial, bit I'd say one year where we dodged a massive bullet was... wait for it... 2016.

Woah, woah, hear me out - a bullet hit us that year, for sure, but if it had been one week earlier - shudder. That would have been worse than 2007.

I think people get confused with 2016 as whilst it was a gludfest, the weather itself for the most part was generally ok, though a bit cooler than most. Got sunburnt on the Wednesday and there was the odd shower and bit of drizzle but nothing apocalyptic other than what was underfoot.

Thinking back, I'd snap your hands off for 2016's festival weather for this year. The glud can fuck off though. 

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Even the worst forecasts don't have us getting half near as much rain as we had in the 2016 build up, and what rain we do get will be falling onto much drier ground better placed to deal with it.

Indeed!

pull yrself.gif

Edited by warriormonk

Really bad weather does have an impact, without question. It is best to adopt the 'just get on with it' attitude, obviously but i it's constant rain/mud it is hard to deal with. I remember watching Jagwar Ma one year on Park, that may have been 2016 actually and it was just hammering it down and freezing. I reluctantly gave in 2/3 of the way through the set, was just so difficult to enjoy it in the conditions.

Still, there's a few weeks yet. Things can easily change