The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I remember "watching" The Coral, sat on a chair, trying to cover my entire body with an umbrella, as the rest of the crowd fled the Other field to find shelter. So, so grim.

Got the Guillemots right. Christie Moore was 2004 apparently. Oh god, I'm getting so old the mid-00's seem like a lifetime ago. 

Rufus on after the coral, I think it stopped raining for that. Arcade Fire after. Great evening that actually now I think of it. (But couldn't move).

9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Seriously. 2016 was fucking hard work so stop praising it. The mud made it so difficult to get across the site. Missed lots of acts I wanted to see cos of the effort of movement and spent a fortune in bars just so we could sit down. Fuck that. Sunshine or bust with hard ground please. Will happily take the sunstroke over the misery. 

This 100%. I wasn't there in 2007 or 2016 (so I'm kind of like a good-luck weather charm!) but I have no doubt that both of them were far from easy. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

Yeah the ground was a mess in the run-up to 2016.

I'd only been on-site for a few hours on the Tuesday when we got the call that it was all hands on deck to rescue campervans getting stuck in the mud. 

I remember on the Tuesday / could be Monday before and we had a landrover towing a caravan on site, that got stuck, they got a tractor to then tow, that got stuck. They then brought out some monster thing with hydraulic legs that had to pull the tractor and caravan into place and then the tractor out again. That totally fucked the ground up and no one could drive up there all week. Fascinating to watch mind.

I couldn't get to the staff car park after dropping off my stuff, Then got a flat so had to leave it on one of the paths. Grim

Yeah, the weather in Somerset is pretty wet today but the ground needs it, it's like rock. Definitely feels like it's been cooler than usual this Spring but rainfall levels must have been below average. I don't want it to get too hot and sunny yet, it always seems like a sustained period of heat in this country ends in humid and thundery conditions, just what we don't want in three weeks time. So let's hope for reasonably low temperatures and unsettled conditions for the next two weeks as forecast, just in time for a beautiful wave of high pressure from the Monday before gates open taking us all the way through the week of the festival. Beleavis.

And btw, weather in 2016 sucked. There's not one redeeming aspect of trawling through six inches of mud for five days. Not one. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Seriously. 2016 was fucking hard work so stop praising it. The mud made it so difficult to get across the site. Missed lots of acts I wanted to see cos of the effort of movement and spent a fortune in bars just so we could sit down. Fuck that. Sunshine or bust with hard ground please. Will happily take the sunstroke over the misery. 

This. In fact I don't care about sunshine, though nice. I just want it dry so I can move around easy and get to where I want to to see who I want to. 2016 just limited that experience. Also stood up for so long knackers the back out more, I like a sit on the grass

Also so much easier for wheelchairs and buggies etc

Edited by fred quimby

Musically 2016 was great, but the mud was exceptionally hard work. it was the toughest physically for me, just the sheer drudgery of it all was exhausting. Moving between stages was just a not on, you made your choices and stuck with it. Stage hopping had to be planned with longer intervals and for me it rendered the SE Corner unusable.

I enjoyed the bands I saw in 2016 but I felt like I missed out on the full Glastonbury experience. Decent ground is essential for me.

15 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Preach!

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Who's praising 2016?! That was definitely the toughest one we've had in recent years.  

17 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Got the Guillemots right. Christie Moore was 2004 apparently. Oh god, I'm getting so old the mid-00's seem like a lifetime ago. 

Rufus on after the coral, I think it stopped raining for that. Arcade Fire after. Great evening that actually now I think of it. (But couldn't move).

Rufus was really good actually. I enjoyed that set thoroughly! Along with Bjork, Arcade Fire, Africa Express - there were still some great performances to be had in 2007, despite all the rain.

3 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

It’s beautifully sunny up in Seaham. I’d rather it bucketed down for the next week. I actually don’t mind the mud, it’s the wet stuff falling when I’m there that I don’t like. 

3 hours ago, Charm said:

I feel the same, mud is much easier to deal with than rain, didn’t mind 2016. 

Charm x

3 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

And it’s easier on my creaky knees and back. 2017’s hard ground nearly killed me and made me go to bed 2 hours earlier than usual! 2016 was fab for me ?

7 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

Who's praising 2016?! That was definitely the toughest one we've had in recent years.  

These two maniacs! ?

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Just as a reminder of 2016. Fuck. That. Shit! 

FB_IMG_1559908602244.jpg

And that's just the Services outside Bristol, the site itself was horrendous.

• Upvote 1

I didn't do 2007 but I would take 2017 (minus a few degrees on the walk in Wednesday) over 2016 anyday. I would take 20 degrees with a drizzle every so often over 2016, the mud walking into that festival and throughout Thursday killed my legs and ruined a few peoples moods in my group, by Saturday most of us were dead. 

Just now, H.M.V said:

Just as a reminder of 2016. Fuck. That. Shit! 

FB_IMG_1559908602244.jpg

Yes the 18 hour journey (that usually takes between 4 and 5 depending on how long we stop at services), the endless mud, waking up to the sound of rain everyday, waking up to Brexit, constantly worrying whether we'd be able to get out at the end of the festival made it a really miserable one.

Don't get me wrong nowhere else I'd rather be and I'd take it over no ticket but please just let the ground be dry enough that you can sit down most of the time. 2017 was perfection (after Wednesday) but I'd take the weather in 2013, 2014 or 2015. They were all manageable. 

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

These two maniacs! ?

They're right though! You 2014 newbies wouldn't understand, when it's continually chucking it down, you still get the mud, but it's also fucking raining on you.  Admittedly, some people who did 2007 and 2016 preferred 2007 because at least it wasn't muddy from the first day, but generally speaking, it's the worse year.

I think you've been pretty lucky for rain so far, with 2014 probably being the wettest overhead since that year. 2016 was bad, but it really could (and has) been worse.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They're right though! You 2014 newbies wouldn't understand, when it's continually chucking it down, you still get the mud, but it's also fucking raining on you.  Admittedly, some people who did 2007 and 2016 preferred 2007 because at least it wasn't muddy from the first day, but generally speaking, it's the worse year.

I think you've been pretty lucky for rain so far, with 2014 probably being the wettest overhead since that year. 2016 was bad, but it really could (and has) been worse.

Yeah this was the state of the ground on the first day in 2007 so it didn't start out too bad. That just shows how much rain fell over the proceeding hours /days though!!. Despite 2016's less than ideal conditions, I'd take it over 2007 any day!

No photo description available.