The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

1 minute ago, SecretFish said:

As it looks like it’s raining for next week or so here in Somerset, is most of the mud created by the trucks/tractors doing setup up or purely footfall of the festival?

A bit of both really. If it gets really bad they tell the vehicles to stay off the grass as much as possible. I still think we would need a lot of rain in order for it to be anywhere near as bad as 2016. The ground was that dry it was cracked in April never mind now. Its been a dust bowl the last few weeks so as long as it's not biblical every single day in the build up we will be fine in regards to not having a repeat 2016. 

As others have said I can cope with Mud. (Don't want it but can cope)

I can also cope with showers during the festival (don't want those either!)

Were I start to struggle is consistent rain beating down for hours. That's soul destroying.

As long as there is a good amount of warm, sunny weather during the festival I'll take the ground as i need to.

That saying 2016 broke my wife who vows she will never return!

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

2007! 

Thankfully that's the only one I've missed from 2005. My mates who went struggled that year and the TV footage looked hard.

I had a weekend in Bilbao in February and it rained from the second we got of the plane for 3 days solid with no let up.

We stayed in a hotel and spent loads of time in bars and it was still grim to be rained on all the time!

7 minutes ago, Deneva48 said:

They don't help at all, seen some really big trucks going in this week. 

They create churn and mud, but plenty of time for it to dry out. If it's nearer the time, not so good. 2005 shows how quickly the ground can harden/bake even after a shed load of rain.

Edited by Yokel Again

15 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

I'll take a 2015. I hated the mud in 2016; probably that year was impacted by other things as well though *cough* B-word *cough*

BBC says which really isn't too bad:

image.thumb.png.2bf216444cff7bb8c63f78d0f4b75e8b.png

That should be Ok, only Weds 12th with heavy rain (and today by looks of it).  Will only be problems if it is wet again just before and during festival, especially once 200,000 start trampling all over the site.

Pelted down here (Yorkshire) on Monday and after a dry Tuesday you wouldn't have know it happened.  I'm still hopeful the ground can soak up a lot of pre festival rain as it has been so dry until now, and that we have a dry run whilst we are there.

7 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

*Shudder*

I remember (hopefully correctly) Guillemots followed by Christie Moore (sp?) on the Pyramid - LASHING it down. 2008 was the only year ever I chose not to go, as a result. An considering how much I love Glastonbury, it tells you how bad it was. 

And to think the Wednesday was glorious!

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

I remember (hopefully correctly) Guillemots followed by Christie Moore (sp?) on the Pyramid - LASHING it down. 2008 was the only year ever I chose not to go, as a result. An considering how much I love Glastonbury, it tells you how bad it was. 

It's the only time I've struggled with the weather at Glastonbury. 

Can you believe it's 12 years ago now?! It shows what a great run we've had (and the improvements to the site over the years), but that year still haunts me to this day!!

20 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I remember "watching" The Coral, sat on a chair, trying to cover my entire body with an umbrella, as the rest of the crowd fled the Other field to find shelter. So, so grim.

The rain is one thing. 

The water table another 

The trucks churning the ground yet another. 

Add to that an enormous flood when the little stream which runs through the site was overwhelmed and burst its banks then you've got 2016.

I have friends who were on site pre-fest when it happened. They lost everything and emergency caravans and accommodation had to be brought in for them. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica
  • Like 1

Yeah the ground was a mess in the run-up to 2016.

I'd only been on-site for a few hours on the Tuesday when we got the call that it was all hands on deck to rescue campervans getting stuck in the mud. 

2016 nearly broke me and it broke the wife - she's not been back and has shown no signs of wanting to go back (admittedly every year we got tickets it was muddy) so I'm solo again this year. 

Currently every-time it rains I get the "Its going to be muddy I can't understand why you want to go" look.

Some mud I can cope with, some rain I can cope with, some hot sun I can cope with....

Thunderstorms & Lightening, heavy rain/mud and the PA systems being shutdown so you're stool in torrential rain in silence is just pants....

Seriously. 2016 was fucking hard work so stop praising it. The mud made it so difficult to get across the site. Missed lots of acts I wanted to see cos of the effort of movement and spent a fortune in bars just so we could sit down. Fuck that. Sunshine or bust with hard ground please. Will happily take the sunstroke over the misery. 

• Upvote 11