FloorFiller

Primavera Sound 2020

2 minutes ago, bananaa52 said:

in portugal no festivals until 30 september

is this official?
it means no NOS PS this year, will give us some indication on their plans for refund/voucher/postpone to 2021 (and also one more death-blow to PS in Barcelona this August)

• Like 1

I am thinking more and more that Primavera is trying to secure most of the line up for June 2021, and are waiting to release anything re this year, while working on 2021 line up. If i am following correctly, they should have Tyler on it, The Strokes, National etc. So i guess their intention is to buy time, and once 70% of the line up is ready, release everything, so they will lower the internet hate from fans that havent heard from a festival in a while. Cause it would be super lame from them to now again release some half assed press release, that says little. They will try to go gigantic with the line up, and release all at once.

1 minute ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

is this official?
it means no NOS PS this year, will give us some indication on their plans for refund/voucher/postpone to 2021 (and also one more death-blow to PS in Barcelona this August)

Yes, it is official. It was announced some minutes ago. 

18 minutes ago, Andrej said:

I am thinking more and more that Primavera is trying to secure most of the line up for June 2021, and are waiting to release anything re this year, while working on 2021 line up. If i am following correctly, they should have Tyler on it, The Strokes, National etc. So i guess their intention is to buy time, and once 70% of the line up is ready, release everything, so they will lower the internet hate from fans that havent heard from a festival in a while. Cause it would be super lame from them to now again release some half assed press release, that says little. They will try to go gigantic with the line up, and release all at once.

This is a very smart strategy, not so much to reduce bad publicity but so as to reduce refunds.

If they really want to stop the cash leakage, they could throw in a juicy name as well. A reunion by someone like Pulp would do it.

3 hours ago, Andrej said:

If they do that, with pavement, I’ll hold out.

otherwise it’s refund a go go for me - just to get funds.

I’ll probably end up going next year anyway but could do with the money and would like the luxury of deciding in my own time.  

Edited by Ohjesus

what is going on? do you interpret that they are just issuing vouchers or they are awaiting how to proceed. 

I'm getting a sinking feeling that similar to rock werchter and nos alive (possibly soon mad cool) they may solely be offering vouchers for future fests. 

A cabal of some sorts, 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

I can see there being an incentive to roll your ticket into 2021.

Maybe a competition to win tickets to Lifetime Passes for those that do.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

It'll be a weird situation if Portugal government oblige a refund and then Spain goes with the voucher approach. 

This article was updated on Thursday 16 April after Primavera made a statement to say they do intend to make refunds“

18 hours ago, Andrej said:

It's Primavera, it'll almost certainly be a half-assed press release. Their communications are utterly pathetic at the best of times.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Sonar cancelled.

If Sonar are offering refunds, then surely Primavera will do the same.

• Upvote 1

Who knows.

Maybe one of the experts on here who told us that Spanish festivals can't legally cancel, could tell us the situation 🙄

• Like 2

With Sonar starting mid June it should not be too difficult to calculate the facts.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Who knows.

Maybe one of the experts on here who told us that Spanish festivals can't legally cancel, could tell us the situation 🙄

On 5/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, Orens said:

800-people outdoor events starting June 10th. Honestly, who knows what is planned for August.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/72594

Edited by puckno

10 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Who knows.

Maybe PRIMAVERA SOUND could tell us the situation 🙄

Two things:

NOS Primavera has now been cancelled - only vouchers mentioned in the press release.

Sonar has been cancelled - without the government having declared force majeure (as far as I can see). AND announced they will give choice between voucher and refund.

Maybe one of the Primavera apologists can explain how Sonar can do what Primavera can't do and why NOS doesn't even mention refunds. And how after this you can still be sure that there will be refunds. Because what you said until now was: cancelation in Spain only after force majeure and Primavera will always refund.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Sonar has been cancelled - without the government having declared force majeure (as far as I can see). AND announced they will give choice between voucher and refund.

Well, force majeure is not something a government declare. When it is not possible to arrange a festival out of legal grounds the festival can declare a force majeure situation. For Sonar, given the reopening dates which have been communicated by spanish government, and already been postponed for the barcelona region by spanish government late yesterday, it is pretty clear that having the Sonar as planned will be illegal. And obviously Sonar think they are enough in the clear to go ahead and cancel. 

Edited by puckno
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Two things:

NOS Primavera has now been cancelled - only vouchers mentioned in the press release.

Maybe one of the Primavera apologists can explain how Sonar can do what Primavera can't do and why NOS doesn't even mention refunds. And how after this you can still be sure that there will be refunds. Because what you said until now was: cancelation in Spain only after force majeure and Primavera will always refund.

Can be sure there will be refunds for a number of reasons:

- Primavera is a successful business with a 20 year track record

- Primavera's reputation would be damaged if they refused refunds; it's in their interest to offer refunds

- Their press office responded to the Guardian article to say "they do intend to make refunds" which has appeared in print

Sonar have announced re their June event (and have done so in May by the way). There is more more clarity and potentially legal clarity on the situation in Spain in June than there is in August. Barcelona is obviously their flagship, Porto has a different setup and different management and harder to predict what will happen to Nos.

Sonar was under extreme time pressure: it was supposed to start in only five weeks, which is clearly impossible.

No-one knows what Sonar's legal/insurance/liability situation is, but it's interesting that they're violating their own terms and conditions:

8.3. - The total and/or partial cancellation of SÓNAR due to unforeseeable circumstances and/or force majeure and/or any other cause which, being beyond its control, would recommend for reasons of safety, prudence and/or risk to third parties, the cancellation of the Festival, will under no circumstances lead to a refund of the ticket price

Vouchers for next year in preference to refunds. Whenever Primavera get their heads out of wherever they are and make an announcement, I don't expect it to be any different. Whatever Sonar has announced, they're clearly in no position to refund everyone.

The NOS Alive announcement clearly states that the vouchers are being issued as a result of government decisions. And Primavara have already had a statement about refunds dragged out of them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, puckno said:

Well, force majeure is not something a government declare. When it is not possible to arrange a festival out of legal grounds the festival can declare a force majeure situation. For Sonar, given the reopening dates which have been communicated by spanish government, and already been postponed for the barcelona region by spanish government late yesterday, it is pretty clear that having the Sonar as planned will be illegal. And obviously Sonar think they are enough in the clear to go ahead and cancel. 

Well, I was just repeating what was said here repeatedly. Explanations change with every turn of events. Former facts become speculation. It's always different for PS, even different from NOS, which is for all things PS. That - and PS offering no information whatsoever - is what's really bugging me. This from someone who will go in 2021 99%.

Sorry, think I'll go to hibernation on that issue again. There's more important things, really .

• Upvote 1