Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

9 hours ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Just got a message from the hotel saying they were cancelling my stay to facilitate the festival. 

Melia hotel near Parc del forum. 

Yep, just saw the email from them. Hungry bastards. The Princess hotel is available which is odd, that place is usually held over for the artists. Maybe a sign that it’s a smaller bill in August?

2 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

Yep, just saw the email from them. Hungry bastards. The Princess hotel is available which is odd, that place is usually held over for the artists. Maybe a sign that it’s a smaller bill in August?

I flicked an email back to them and one to booking.com customer service, i'll let you know what happens. 

9 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I flicked an email back to them and one to booking.com customer service, i'll let you know what happens. 

Apparently there's another event on that weekend nearby so they couldn't book the Princess out that weekend. Which meant they turned to the Melia Condor Mar as an alternative.

it clearly looks like they are willing to go a long way to avoid refunds and ppl here still give them the benefit of the doubt. what the .... does "working on alternatives" mean? why do they need for the state of alarm to finish (???) to make a decision regarding refunds when it literally should be the other way around and every extra day of state of alarm should diminish the chances of the festival to happen even in august?

i am very pissed off about this. no way the festival will take place in the original form and they are trying to get away with it with minimal financial damage.  that's the sole reasoning behind their decision to postpone the festival, otherwise they would have given alternatives already (refund or 2021 tickets) for people that can't go or don't want to go in august.

Edited by neacaisa
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, xxialac said:

Apparently there's another event on that weekend nearby so they couldn't book the Princess out that weekend. Which meant they turned to the Melia Condor Mar as an alternative.

I could be wrong here but I’ve just been onto the Condal Mar hotel to complain about their cancelling my booking. The lady I spoke to told me all the festival concerts are in the Apolo this year, not at the Forum. Maybe I’m getting false info. Has anyone else heard this? 

16 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

I could be wrong here but I’ve just been onto the Condal Mar hotel to complain about their cancelling my booking. The lady I spoke to told me all the festival concerts are in the Apolo this year, not at the Forum. Maybe I’m getting false info. Has anyone else heard this? 

Jesus. That sounds completely mad. Surely not?

They should be able to refund 70-80% of ticket value or offer rollover of ticket to new dates. I expect the festival to have high burn money and difficult contractual obligations so I do not expect a full refund. The above is a compromise that will make the festival survive so that we can attend in the future, but all the planning and work so far and the time ahead do not come for free. I am thankful that they burn some of my money to try to make this happen.

Regarding the refunds: Festivals have insurance policies that cover cancellation/change of dates. Most probable case is that Primavera’s insurance company is waiting for the state of alarm to end so that can issue their resolution on what’s covered, and what’s not. So that’s why Primavera can’t offer the refunds yet. 

4 minutes ago, puckno said:

They should be able to refund 70-80% of ticket value or offer rollover of ticket to new dates. I expect the festival to have high burn money and difficult contractual obligations so I do not expect a full refund. The above is a compromise that will make the festival survive so that we can attend in the future, but all the planning and work so far and the time ahead do not come for free. I am thankful that they burn some of my money to try to make this happen.

A noble offer but doubt they will do partial refunds, too messy legally.

I'm certain that as a minimum they will do rollover of ticket to August, (or if no good) rollover of ticket to next May, as you wrote.

If enough people take up one of those options, there will probably be enough left over for refunds.

They really need c.50% of the people to commit to August and then they have a chance of selling enough tickets.

If August is then cancelled, they should allow for rollover to next May though I'd be much less confident about refunds by that point.

6 minutes ago, puckno said:

No, insurance policies usually do not cover pandemic outbreaks. It has been a lot of talk on this in this thread.

Depends on the policy and if there is an institutional resolution that will clarify that this is considered pandemic outbreak for which type of businesses as well as what dates are considered affected by the outbreak. 
It’s not that easy. So that’s probably why they are waiting. 

Edited by Anna.m

Same happened to SXSW, from a P4k writeup; "... SXSW recently acknowledged that despite having insurance for event cancellation due to terrorism, weather, injury, and other perils, it wasn’t covered for viruses and pandemics. ... " Link to the P4k piece: https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/what-happens-when-a-music-festival-is-canceled-due-to-coronavirus/
It is fairly know to be standard for the festival industry, lots of write ups on that. Because of this all parties refer to ´force majeure´ to get out of contractual obligations, and you will note that in bold text in Primaveras statement. Thats their ticket to survival: https://www.primaverasound.com/en/news/primavera-sound-barcelona-2020-agosto 
I still see a lot of festivals offering refund though, so we will see.
In the same way do Primavera have a force majeure clause in the ticket clauses, so they are not contractually obligated to refund the tickets, even though they have to weigh this against the damage on reputation because this stuff is not so easy to communicate to the masses.
"...Bad weather, natural disasters, Spanish airspace closure or any other force majeure will not lead to ticket refunds. ..." https://www.primaverasound.com/pt/barcelona/tickets-conditions
Regarding partial refunds: I just got a 70% refund from a Big Thief concert ticket. The venue could have said ´sorry force majeure´ and not refunded, but they found a compromise and I was happy to help them survive and still get most back. I still see this could potentially be a legal mess and I agree that it is not so likely for a festival to try and run the same scheme.

Edited by puckno

4 minutes ago, puckno said:

Same happened to SXSW, from a P4k writeup; "... SXSW recently acknowledged that despite having insurance for event cancellation due to terrorism, weather, injury, and other perils, it wasn’t covered for viruses and pandemics. ... " Link to the P4k piece: https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/what-happens-when-a-music-festival-is-canceled-due-to-coronavirus/
It is fairly know to be standard for the festival industry, lots of write ups on that. Because of this all parties refer to ´force majeure´ to get out of contractual obligations, and you will note that in bold text in Primaveras statement. Thats their ticket to survival: https://www.primaverasound.com/en/news/primavera-sound-barcelona-2020-agosto 
In the same way do Primavera have a force majeure clause in the ticket clauses, so they are not contractually obligated to refund the tickets, even though they have to weigh this against the damage on reputation because this stuff is not so easy to communicate to the masses.
"...Bad weather, natural disasters, Spanish airspace closure or any other force majeure will not lead to ticket refunds. ..." https://www.primaverasound.com/pt/barcelona/tickets-conditions
Regarding partial refunds: I just got a 70% refund from a Big Thief concert ticket. The venue could have said ´sorry force majeure´ and not refunded, but they found a compromise and I was happy to help them survive and still get most back. I still see this could potentially be a legal mess and I agree that it is not so likely for a festival to try and run the same scheme.

That's actually a pretty fair system. Just don't think there's a precedent for a big festival doing that.

29 minutes ago, puckno said:

I didnt check if this was already discussed here, so sorry about that.

They actually could appeal to force majeure, but even it it's in their terms and conditions in case of a lawsuit they would totally lose and would have to refund as European regulation is pro consumer in all cases.

What i was trying to say is that they're probably waiting for their insurance company final response, normally it takes weeks (if it's a slow one, even months), so they know if their insurance will cover some of the damages or none of them, and in that case pay the refunds themselves.

They would be fools if they deny the refunds as it would destroy their reputation as you already said, so I think they will refund in the end.

Edited by Anna.m

You might be right regarding consumer laws. Though, I think they according to consumer law at a minimum are in their right to postpone the festival and move the tickets to the new date, without refunding the tickets to the June event, with referral to force majeure on the June event. Then if the August do not happen it becomes more interesting. And again... regarding full refund it is also a question if they have the money.

24 minutes ago, puckno said:

You might be right regarding consumer laws. Though, I think they according to consumer law at a minimum are in their right to postpone the festival and move the tickets to the new date, without refunding the tickets to the June event, with referral to force majeure on the June event. Then if the August do not happen it becomes more interesting. And again... regarding full refund it is also a question if they have the money.

According to someone on reddit they will make their announcement about this on April 11 of just after so not long to wait.