FloorFiller

Primavera Sound 2020

So Bonnaroo postponing (to 24th September) is official.

I expect Primavera to do the same. August now feels soon based on scientific forecasts. September/October would surely increase significantly the likelihood of it going ahead and that must be their primary concern if they are going to go to the trouble.

Worth noting that the US is expecting to have their pandemic crisis end later than in Europe.

Edited by xxialac

it’s such a fluid situation, as people on this forum have said before - I don’t know how easy it is to organise a festival, but I’m guessing you need a date first for everything to operate around.

So maybe they went for the last weekend of August (sep for Porto) based on the knowledge available at the time/availability, thinking it would all be ok. 

But now things have accelerated it might make that unworkable. Hence no PS happening in 2020 at all, and a reluctance to say anything with conviction so far. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

it’s such a fluid situation, as people on this forum have said before - I don’t know how easy it is to organise a festival, but I’m guessing you need a date first for everything to operate around.

So maybe they went for the last weekend of August (sep for Porto) based on the knowledge available at the time/availability, thinking it would all be ok. 

But now things have accelerated it might make that unworkable. Hence no PS happening in 2020 at all, and a reluctance to say anything with conviction so far. 

There's still time to push back any provisional date a month or two. Doubt they have incurred any costs with the new planning yet.

I would be strongly in favour of them spending another few weeks deciding if this is possible. It might be the time that is needed to save the festival

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

There's still time to push back any provisional date a month or two. Doubt they have incurred any costs with the new planning yet.

I would be strongly in favour of them spending another few weeks deciding if this is possible. It might be the time that is needed to save the festival

Oh for sure. 

its just - with admittedly a limited knowledge of fest organising - it’s hard to know how many components that come into play. might it be that there’s literally only one or two weekends over a three or four month period that could be feasible - before you even factor in weather?

Edited by Ohjesus
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Oh for sure. 

its just - with admittedly a limited knowledge of fest organising - it’s hard to know how many components that come into play. might it be that there’s literally only one or two weekends over a three or four month period that could be feasible - before you even factor in weather?

Same here, don’t really know.

On the other hand weather really shouldn’t be a factor. Barcelona is blessed with a Mediterranean climate. If anything August is too hot, later in the year works very well. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Same here, don’t really know.

On the other hand weather really shouldn’t be a factor. Barcelona is blessed with a Mediterranean climate. If anything August is too hot, later in the year works very well. 

Yeh I’ll take any weather to be honest 

• Upvote 1

Rescheduling to august is a huge gamble imo. It might pay off, but it also means that if the festival is cancelled altogether after the reschedule, it will cost them even more.

I got a notification saying my final ticket instalment is coming out in the next 3 days. I would rather they announce something now because it's going to feel really shitty having that money come out of my account.

8 minutes ago, duckula said:

I got a notification saying my final ticket instalment is coming out in the next 3 days. I would rather they announce something now because it's going to feel really shitty having that money come out of my account.

I know it's scant consolation pal but you will be offered a refund in full.

A festival with a great brand and now so successful it has the confidence to look to expand from 2 sites to 4 sites in one year, plus that won't have to settle its biggest costs (paying bands and contractors) will be able to refund everyone who wants one. It will be a matter of days or weeks before they announce this....but it won't be at the last minute.   

Belgian leading virologist just said that he advises against any holidays abroad this summer. I think it's either sept/oct or no PS in 2020. Gutted but I have a feeling that we're gonna have a lot of other shit to be gutted about any time soon. Meanwhile, illegal student parties are going on over here. Fucking idiots. 

13 minutes ago, duckula said:

Agree - and I think that was one of the reasons Glastonbury gave for the timing of their cancellation announcement, to stop the next round of deposit payments going out. 

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I know it's scant consolation pal but you will be offered a refund in full.

Probably they will refund, but you do not know for sure. In case of force majeure they are not legally obliged. SXSW did not refund. A few festivals have not offered refund but tickets to next edition. Most do refund though, that is true.

Just now, puckno said:

Probably they will refund, but you do not know for sure. In case of force majeure they are not legally obliged. SXSW did not refund. A few festivals have not offered refund but tickets to next edition. Most do refund though, that is true.

SXSW didn't refund you are quite right. It did it under enormous duress, knowing its reputation would suffer terribly. Absolute last resort not a money grab.

There is no comparison really with Primavera.

Primavera is not a tech, film and music festival with the additional staffing needs that brings.

And SXSW cancelled so near the time they were already on the hook for massive costs unlike Primavera.

And Primavera has a strong balance sheet after running festivals successfully for 20 years.

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

SXSW didn't refund you are quite right. It did it under enormous duress, knowing its reputation would suffer terribly. Absolute last resort not a money grab.

There is no comparison really with Primavera.

Primavera is not a tech, film and music festival with the additional staffing needs that brings.

And SXSW cancelled so near the time they were already on the hook for massive costs unlike Primavera.

And Primavera has a strong balance sheet after running festivals successfully for 20 years.

SXSW didn't have insurance that cover something like Corona. That's the main reason they didn't had any refund. They also had to lay-off a lot of people too. It's very difficult to compare SXSW with Primavera, so we just have to wait to see.

Source: https://pitchfork.com/news/sxsw-2020-cancellation-leads-to-major-layoffs/

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what are the chances of this still happening in June? 10%?

0.00%

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

If only Primavera was this transparent...

Really don't understand what you want them to say.
Anyone who still thinks it's going to happen in June is a bit delusional (at least in my mind, no offence..), they don't know yet if it's going to be postponed and when to, or canceled. 

I rather wait and get a clear message  than get a cancelation and later new date and later another delay and so on

The only good answer about any event in the world in the next few months is either "it's canceled' or "I don't know". from this two, I prefer "I don't know" 

5 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Really don't understand what you want them to say.
Anyone who still thinks it's going to happen in June is a bit delusional (at least in my mind, no offence..), they don't know yet if it's going to be postponed and when to, or canceled. 

I rather wait and get a clear message  than get a cancelation and later new date and later another delay and so on

The only good answer about any event in the world in the next few months is either "it's canceled' or "I don't know". from this two, I prefer "I don't know" 

100%. 

It's either going to be 

a) festival cancelled, you can have your money back or defer your ticket

-or-

b) festival postponed, you can have your money back or defer your ticket.

The thing they are wrestling with is the question to postpone - a tonne of festivals are - can they? When they have decided, they will let people know.

Looking like cancellation more and more. August seems just too soon, and they can hardly do 2 big fests mid September, so close to one another (Barca and LA editions). Was really looking forward to this years, amazing line up, but corona had other plans....

3 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Looking like cancellation more and more. August seems just too soon, and they can hardly do 2 big fests mid September, so close to one another (Barca and LA editions). Was really looking forward to this years, amazing line up, but corona had other plans....

I suspect they’ll go for September or October and sack off LA (hadn’t started promoting it anyway, the first edition is always the most demanding, plus LA is not their home turf)

1 hour ago, chilirocker said:

If only Primavera was this transparent...

image.thumb.png.b92630d5990fcd64d3163ab22ecd008e.png

Tbf, Primavera appear to be exploring the option of rescheduling so they're limited in what they can tell us. 

EOTR is at the end of 'festival season' so they don't really have an alternative - this enables them to be more transparent. 

Edited by TomViolence