Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Had a look at prices for hotels on the original date of primavera. Just to see if my original hotel had gotten cheaper. He hadn't got cheaper but it came up with rooms at the Princess. Wed to Sun for 494 via Skyscanner. Never seen vacancies at Princess for the festival. No idea what this means for the festival. 

16 minutes ago, James96 said:

Really hope they put another statement out now. The one on Monday was abysmal and tone deaf.

I don't see it that way at all. 

They said they would be basing their decisions on the advice from health authorities. They said they were looking at possibilities to postpone it. They expressed support to the people affected by it. 

It is entirely reasonable for them not to commit to a plan until they have rationally explored all the options. 

They sensitively said that that was what they were doing.

Contrast that with Boris Johnson who yesterday made a joke about getting the ventilators needed as 'Operation Last Gasp' and had said that the British public should 'take it on the chin'. That is what I call abysmal and tone deaf. 

Edited by xxialac
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't see it that way at all. 

They said they would be basing their decisions on the advice from health authorities. They said they were looking at possibilities to postpone it. They expressed support to the people affected by it. 

It is entirely reasonable for them not to commit to a plan until they have rationally explored all the options. 

They sensitively said that that was what they were doing.

Contrast that with Boris Johnson who yesterday made a joke about getting the ventilators needed as 'Operation Last Gasp' and had said that the British public should 'take it on the chin'. That is what I call abysmal and tone deaf. 

What did my post have anything to do with Boris Johnson?

There is a lot of travel related to this festival for a lot of people and PS know this. They also can see the current travel bans for their country and all of the others. The statement was a non statement.

1 minute ago, James96 said:

What did my post have anything to do with Boris Johnson?

There is a lot of travel related to this festival for a lot of people and PS know this. They also can see the current travel bans for their country and all of the others. The statement was a non statement.

I mentioned Boris Johnson as an example of tone deafness.

What would you have liked them to write?  

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I mentioned Boris Johnson as an example of tone deafness.

What would you have liked them to write?  

Something more definitive, instead of something so vague and unhelpful. I don't see how reading the statement has made anything more clear - that's my issue with it.

I obviously support Primavera, I would just like a clearer statement.

4 minutes ago, James96 said:

Something more definitive, instead of something so vague and unhelpful. I don't see how reading the statement has made anything more clear - that's my issue with it.

I obviously support Primavera, I would just like a clearer statement.

I respect your view though not sure what they can write other than platitudes.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't on issuing a statement. There was a lot of clamour for them to say something.

They have also strong social credentials. They supported the indignado movement in 2011, the separatist Catalan movement, ran the first gender balanced major festival, promoted safe spaces for women etc, efforts towards the SDGs etc. They are not the bad guys. You can be sure they will announce that June is not going ahead in the next couple of weeks and they will do the right thing and give ticketholders a full refund. 

The only question mark is whether they postpone and I'm sure they are wrestling with that round the clock at the moment.

Edited by xxialac

1 hour ago, Fnmentaluk said:

Never seen vacancies at Princess for the festival. No idea what this means for the festival. 

In the beginning, when people mentioned the Princess was full, there was still a few rooms available at booking.com for about 350 euro per night (I checked), same as now. It is still shown full at the hotel website. 

1 hour ago, puckno said:

In the beginning, when people mentioned the Princess was full, there was still a few rooms available at booking.com for about 350 euro per night (I checked), same as now. It is still shown full at the hotel website. 

I was talking about the original dates in June. Never seen rooms available at the Princess at any time during the festival period. 

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, I think it is well established by now that June festival will not happen. Festival still have to pretend though in order to have force majeure options open. But i reality, to cancel or to postpone is the question. 

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

I respect your view though not sure what they can write other than platitudes.

Well, Glastonbury would have been one month later and has cancelled already. I am sure that Primavera knows that it just isn´t going to happen in June. So why not tell people? And also tell them that they hope to postpone it to later in the year, the possible dates being.... ?

The paying customer, who is going to lose money on this (I know I will), does have a right to know, I think. Because the later the cancellation comes, the higher the losses are going to be. And the earlier you can start planning for the Fall Primavera, the easier. So please, Primavera, help and support your customers!

The only acceptable reason for stalling would be that they wait for the government to cancel it, because then it might be a different thing for the insurance. If in consequence the tickets can be fully refunded, I would understand the wait. Still, this could be communicated properly as well.

11 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Well, Glastonbury would have been one month later and has cancelled already. I am sure that Primavera knows that it just isn´t going to happen in June. So why not tell people? And also tell them that they hope to postpone it to later in the year, the possible dates being.... ?

The paying customer, who is going to lose money on this (I know I will), does have a right to know, I think. Because the later the cancellation comes, the higher the losses are going to be. And the earlier you can start planning for the Fall Primavera, the easier. So please, Primavera, help and support your customers!

The only acceptable reason for stalling would be that they wait for the government to cancel it, because then it might be a different thing for the insurance. If in consequence the tickets can be fully refunded, I would understand the wait. Still, this could be communicated properly as well.

Was easy for Glastonbury, a clear cut decision.

For Primavera yes could be well be they want to wait for the insurance. Absolutely any business wants to do that. They can’t realistically say we will try to cancel but we need to wait for the insurance.

Just as likely they feel they are close to making a decision on cancellation vs postponement and want to make an announcement when they have made up their mind.

Not unreasonable IMO given there is still almost 3 months to go. Anyone can assume this is not happening in June given just how obvious that is and start adjusting travel plans accordingly.

• Upvote 1

So Bonnaroo postponing (to 24th September) is official.

I expect Primavera to do the same. August now feels soon based on scientific forecasts. September/October would surely increase significantly the likelihood of it going ahead and that must be their primary concern if they are going to go to the trouble.

Worth noting that the US is expecting to have their pandemic crisis end later than in Europe.

Edited by xxialac

it’s such a fluid situation, as people on this forum have said before - I don’t know how easy it is to organise a festival, but I’m guessing you need a date first for everything to operate around.

So maybe they went for the last weekend of August (sep for Porto) based on the knowledge available at the time/availability, thinking it would all be ok. 

But now things have accelerated it might make that unworkable. Hence no PS happening in 2020 at all, and a reluctance to say anything with conviction so far. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

it’s such a fluid situation, as people on this forum have said before - I don’t know how easy it is to organise a festival, but I’m guessing you need a date first for everything to operate around.

So maybe they went for the last weekend of August (sep for Porto) based on the knowledge available at the time/availability, thinking it would all be ok. 

But now things have accelerated it might make that unworkable. Hence no PS happening in 2020 at all, and a reluctance to say anything with conviction so far. 

There's still time to push back any provisional date a month or two. Doubt they have incurred any costs with the new planning yet.

I would be strongly in favour of them spending another few weeks deciding if this is possible. It might be the time that is needed to save the festival

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

There's still time to push back any provisional date a month or two. Doubt they have incurred any costs with the new planning yet.

I would be strongly in favour of them spending another few weeks deciding if this is possible. It might be the time that is needed to save the festival

Oh for sure. 

its just - with admittedly a limited knowledge of fest organising - it’s hard to know how many components that come into play. might it be that there’s literally only one or two weekends over a three or four month period that could be feasible - before you even factor in weather?

Edited by Ohjesus
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Oh for sure. 

its just - with admittedly a limited knowledge of fest organising - it’s hard to know how many components that come into play. might it be that there’s literally only one or two weekends over a three or four month period that could be feasible - before you even factor in weather?

Same here, don’t really know.

On the other hand weather really shouldn’t be a factor. Barcelona is blessed with a Mediterranean climate. If anything August is too hot, later in the year works very well. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Same here, don’t really know.

On the other hand weather really shouldn’t be a factor. Barcelona is blessed with a Mediterranean climate. If anything August is too hot, later in the year works very well. 

Yeh I’ll take any weather to be honest 

• Upvote 1