Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I'd be surprised if even 70% of the lineup would be re-bookable.

Coachella could do it because most of the acts are based on the same continent and it's a huge profile festival – Primavera, as much as fans of the festival can convince themselves that it's the main or only festival in Europe, is just one of many stops for touring acts across the summer.

Acts aren't going to agree to a new date unless it's workable within their existing schedule and they can still make a profit on it given they'll have already lost money on flights the first time around. I think everyone should keep their expectations firmly in check over the next few weeks as this develops.

Yes, agree with this. I'm not sure about bands losing money on flights though as airlines are being unusually flexible and allowing for re-bookings. Which actually would motivate a reschedule rather than a cancel for the band. 

Almost exactly 50% of the bands are from Europe. Don't know the Coachella number but you are right they are not as equally prestigious. 

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Coachella could do it because most of the acts are based on the same continent and it's a huge profile festival – Primavera, as much as fans of the festival can convince themselves that it's the main or only festival in Europe, is just one of many stops for touring acts across the summer.

Acts aren't going to agree to a new date unless it's workable within their existing schedule and they can still make a profit on it given they'll have already lost money on flights the first time around. I think everyone should keep their expectations firmly in check over the next few weeks as this develops.

you're forgetting it goes both ways - acts that are busy in June might be available on the new date (Yes, Mr. Yorke, Im looking at you), so keeping 50% of the lineup + 20% new stuff can lead for a very good festival all things considered

but that's all speculation, we'll have to wait and see

Also pls note guys, these are the times when everybody loses, artists are losing shows daily, massive Arena tours being cancelled, festivals dropping out, and they all have huge crews, families, working personnel to take care of. Saying all that cause if a big fest like Primavera changes a date, and they pay massive fees, every artist will do their best to work around the new schedule. Not saying everyone will be able to make a new proposed date, but most of them will sure give their best effort to try to work it out.

• Upvote 1

Remember that Primavera is only part of a wider touring schedule for these bands. Two things:

• if Primavera is postponed, the other gigs/festivals are probably also cancelled;
  • decisions on whether or not these tours go ahead need to be taken ASAFP.

So I think this wipes out those tours for a lot of bands, and moving everything to the end of the summer makes sense for them.

2 minutes ago, daveje said:

Remember that Primavera is only part of a wider touring schedule for these bands. Two things:

• if Primavera is postponed, the other gigs/festivals are probably also cancelled;
  • decisions on whether or not these tours go ahead need to be taken ASAFP.

So I think this wipes out those tours for a lot of bands, and moving everything to the end of the summer makes sense for them.

Nicely put.

41 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

You make a good point, but I'll be hoping bands will be able to move their entire touring plan a few months forward. It's not like they'll fly specifically to do Primavera. More festivals will be rescheduled to similar dates, and headline shows will likely be postponed too. Artists have lost a lot of money in that crisis, and it should be in their best interest to reschedule as many of the shows ASAP. 

Unless they are already booked elsewhere in those dates (like if they're doing a US leg in August-September), I'm hopeful many of the artists will be able to reschedule. And I think the festival should have enough time to book good replacements for those who cancel. Artists will be eager to get back to work and cover their losses.

Also, thank god Pavement seems pretty secure in that case!

Edited by yaniv297

primavera themselves have just rebooked metronomy's own tour for early september in Spain, so its clear they will be working hard to deliver a version of PS2020 around then or just before.

safe to say metronomy may well not be at the "new" PS2020 if one materialises. Or at least unlikely they play barcelona twice in 2 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

primavera themselves have just rebooked metronomy's own tour for early september in Spain, so its clear they will be working hard to deliver a version of PS2020 around then or just before.

safe to say metronomy may well not be at the "new" PS2020 if one materialises. Or at least unlikely they play barcelona twice in 2 weeks.

This is weird, if Primavera are doing the booking and the band is already in Spain, why the hell not book them to the moved festival?

Or maybe the new dates will be a bit later than expected, and than Metronomy's booked show (Septmeber 9th) will be a part of the Primavera club shows all over town.

7 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

This is weird, if Primavera are doing the booking and the band is already in Spain, why the hell not book them to the moved festival?

Or maybe the new dates will be a bit later than expected, and than Metronomy's booked show (Septmeber 9th) will be a part of the Primavera club shows all over town.

Re-booking one band is low risk/low logistics. I imagine they rescheduled that with no thought to Primavera 2020. Maybe even a different team handling the booking.

One step at a time and all that. Metronomy are in Europe so can be more flexible anyway.

3 hours ago, Hip Priest said:

Gabi said on the radio that tickets for the original dates would be valid for a rearranged PS20 but didn't mention refunds.

Of all of the speculation and the pretty empty of content Press release, this intrigued me the most. I don’t know the context because I wasn’t able to hear the radio announcement, but it would seem to even mention this would be saying that it for sure will be changing into some form or another. Would that be a safe assumption?

2 minutes ago, jaredean said:

Of all of the speculation and the pretty empty of content Press release, this intrigued me the most. I don’t know the context because I wasn’t able to hear the radio announcement, but it would seem to even mention this would be saying that it for sure will be changing into some form or another. Would that be a safe assumption?

100% safe assumption that Primavera is not going ahead in June. Can see why Gabi doesn't want to spell it out for insurance and other reasons at this stage.

I hate to say it ...but this thing may not be over by August. UK press are reporting government are preparing for it to last into 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Jeez I hope they are wrong.

I want the old world back :( 

Edited by thespiral

Just now, thespiral said:

I hate to say it ...but this thing may not be over by August. UK press are reporting government are preparing for it to last into 2021. Jeez I hope they are wrong.

I want the old world back :( 

UK press are reporting government are preparing for it to be better by June and then get bad again in November. 

Which leaves a window where we might have some degree of normalcy. 

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

UK press are reporting government are preparing for it to be better by June and then get bad again in November. 

Which leaves a window where we might have some degree of normalcy. 

I think it shows how anything being planned later this year is a leap of faith really.

If I lose my flights and hotel money (non refundable booking :( ) on this I seriously doubt I'll be shelling out again .... just to take the risk all over again in August. 

Edited by thespiral

I think it shows how anything being planned later this year is a leap of faith really.

If I lose my flights and hotel money (non refundable booking :( ) on this I seriously doubt I'll shelling out again .... just to take the risk all over again in August. 

You might well be able to get a refund on your "non-refundable" hotel booking. Ask politely. And the flight might well refund you too (especially if a major carrier). Good luck.

Also presumably you would book a refundable hotel next time and delay the flight booking until it looked certain. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

You might well be able to get a refund on your "non-refundable" hotel booking. Ask politely. And the flight might well refund you too (especially if a major carrier). Good luck.

Also presumably you would book a refundable hotel next time and delay the flight booking until it looked certain. 

True.

Budget airline unfortunately so who knows.

Until official announcement is made with a confirmed go / no go / or new date / lineup .... hard to make any decisions.

Coronavirus fatigue is setting in already - I would just like to fast forward to 2021 now :D 

True.

Budget airline unfortunately so who knows.

Until official announcement is made with a confirmed go / no go / or new date / lineup .... hard to make any decisions.

Coronavirus fatigue is setting in already - I would just like to fast forward to 2021 now :D 

"Ryanair, easyJet and British Airways are allowing passengers to change their flights for free due to coronavirus"

Reason to be positive?

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

"Ryanair, easyJet and British Airways are allowing passengers to change their flights for free due to coronavirus"

Reason to be positive?

this is all down to the wording - i tried to change my flights from june to august (or at least, research it) and while there was no 'fee' - the flights were about £150 more, maybe because it's august and in the summer hols...

1 minute ago, riseupandkill said:

this is all down to the wording - i tried to change my flights from june to august (or at least, research it) and while there was no 'fee' - the flights were about £150 more, maybe because it's august and in the summer hols...

Ah that's good to know, thanks.

Well what is far more likely is that Ryanair etc cancel almost all flights in May, in which case you will get a refund in full. 

2 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

If Ape and bks also postpone the national and massive attack could be easy to convince. I guess that the hard ones to keep will be Tyler and LDR. Maybe the fact that they have them booked for Portugal as well can play a role, hopefully 

Maybe The National can do High Violet now :)