Jump to content
FloorFiller

Primavera Sound 2020

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

Some communication from Primavera would be helpful at this point. Seems crazy that they keep posting reminders about the ticket price change when most people are looking at the elephant in the room.

Don't agree. What can they possibly say beyond the bland 'we are monitoring the situation closely'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Don't agree. What can they possibly say beyond the bland 'we are monitoring the situation closely'...

Exactly! A statement so soon would be very bland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xxialac said:

SXSW and Coachella will almost certainly be cancelled.

Summer festivals will probably be fine.

Primavera I'm expecting to be a half way house, with a lot of bands cancelling but it going ahead on a reduced basis.

Wouldn't make sense for the bands to progressively cancel only parts of their tour and not the whole thing? The events being canceled for now were all supposed to be held in March /early April if I am not wrong. If I were a USA band with an impending tour I would cancel my March dates and I would wait for the following ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Hannah990 said:

Praying for this reduced line up thing to be an option rather than cancelling the whole thing 

Disagree. I would prefer to have my money back instead that being forced to attend to a mediocre festival 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Disagree. I would prefer to have my money back instead that being forced to attend to a mediocre festival 

There would be no 'forcing', that's a bit melodramatic. You could always sell your ticket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who have not buyed tickets yet: don't. Not for this festival or anything else. Organizers might claim force majeure and not give money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daveje said:

Everyone that's freaking out should look at the situation in China a month ago compared to now.

The last I checked Primavera Sound was in Europe and the situation here is getting worse by the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

The last I checked Primavera Sound was in Europe and the situation here is getting worse by the day. 

It is bad but not tragic yet. What we see now as symptomatic cases have been infected around 14 days ago. With the next week in Italy, for example, it should be possible to quantify how much the containment worked here. Until then the daily cases will grow more and more, but just because it's a retrospective measure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveje said:

Everyone that's freaking out should look at the situation in China a month ago compared to now.

Unfortunately Primavera is early June. I would've been calm if it was July/August since I believe it will go down at the summer, like in China. But it might not happen fast enough for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

I have stopped checking this thread its become paranoid portal about virus, in few weeks temperature will rise and virus will disappear, primavera will happen end of story

That's what I said fee weeks ago. For this to happen in time for Primavera, we should've been on the downhill side of the curve by now. It's still rising in Europe. Maybe, who knows. We can only hope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in the UK most 'expert' opinion I am hearing is saying that banning large gatherings actually isn't nearly as effective as people think, or isn't really necessary particularly if they are outdoor.

Of course what experts say or recommend and what governments or individuals or events choose to do are often very different :D

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Here in the UK most 'expert' opinion I am hearing is saying that banning large gatherings actually isn't nearly as effective as people think, or isn't really necessary particularly if they are outdoor.

Of course what experts say or recommend and what governments or individuals or events choose to do are often very different :D

 

 

 

 

I've said this once but I'll say it again. 

I’m not concerned about Gabi etc pulling the plug themeselves, but reckon the sheer number of acts cancelling will force their hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I've said this once but I'll say it again. 

I’m not concerned about Gabi etc pulling the plug themeselves, but reckon the sheer number of acts cancelling will force their hand. 

Yes.

I’ve also said the same. Acts are proving to be risk averse. If you lose all your headliners who pull out early, you can’t have a festival. This is where the biggest risk lies. Doesn’t matter if the situation subsequently improves.

Whilst it’s a big risk I still feel we will just about make it. If Primavera was in April or early May I’d have assumed game over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

 

Whilst it’s a big risk I still feel we will just about make it. If Primavera was in April or early May I’d have assumed game over.

Agree - my gut feeling is might just dodge the bullet. Hoping not too many names  pull out. I have still seen artists in last few days though announcing European dates in May/June so it's not all gloom and doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice that Download in Australia is still going ahead on weekend of March 21st so that’s a positive. I know it’s not been hugely affected but at least bands are still willing to travel. Also notice Jimmy Eat World are playing that after cancelling Philippines which I had flights and accommodation booked for 🤦🏻‍♂️ Praying we can still see them at RW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this will go ahead but we may lose some acts who don't want to tour. But given that bands make most of their income from touring and festivals, that is a huge decision for an act to take - they won't do it lightly.

We've already seen Wolf Parade and Efterklang cancel lots of Euro shows. I think that's more relavent than, say, the National or Jimmy Eat World cancelling in Asia, where the situation is much different. 

I think it will be all a lot clearer in the next few weeks - some bands will make their stance clear and some might just decide to not risk it. But writing off an entire European festival tour would be a very costly exercise for a band, even if it may become necessary for them to do so.

Currently, my main worry is that some of the bands I want to see might cancel, not that the festival will be cancelled. I hope we don't lose a lot of acts - it'd be a real shame to have a quieter programme - but I think things will go ahead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think this will go ahead but we may lose some acts who don't want to tour. But given that bands make most of their income from touring and festivals, that is a huge decision for an act to take - they won't do it lightly.

We've already seen Wolf Parade and Efterklang cancel lots of Euro shows. I think that's more relavent than, say, the National or Jimmy Eat World cancelling in Asia, where the situation is much different. 

I think it will be all a lot clearer in the next few weeks - some bands will make their stance clear and some might just decide to not risk it. But writing off an entire European festival tour would be a very costly exercise for a band, even if it may become necessary for them to do so.

Currently, my main worry is that some of the bands I want to see might cancel, not that the festival will be cancelled. I hope we don't lose a lot of acts - it'd be a real shame to have a quieter programme - but I think things will go ahead.

 

i would say that Jimmy Eats is going off of irrational fear as opposed to facts since i'm sitting in the Philippines currently for work and have been told by many that there aren't any cases of Corona here...i did a quick search and a few hours ago there was the first local instance, but Jimmy cancelled a while back.  That is what i don't like to see, someone cancelling a country that has next to zero threat possibly currently because it is "Asia" so it must be infected. That type of thinking will get Europe cancelled as well, even if it is just Italy, etc.

I just keep thinking about the fact that the coronavirus has killed around 3,400 and the flu kills over 56,000 people each year.  We are at less than 10%.  Sure, it is still spreading, etc. but it is basically the flu.  Dangerous to the elderly and infirm mostly.  This is a mass panic mentality and not much more so far.

Edited by jaredean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what hasn't been considered is that if I go on holiday with, say, 6 friends and 1 can't make it (maybe he fears getting coronavirus or has a 'tainted' passport), the holiday still goes ahead.

With a band, they need everyone to commit. And to an extent the wider entourage as well. 

If everyone is up for it but not one of the main members, then they ain't touring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will take many months for the spread to top out. I don't understand the comparision with China some posts above, they went to extreme measures basically locking down cities for millions and still deadly sick people all over the place. Go watch the documentaries.The thing is the measures taken in China would need a dictatorship and will not work in the west. Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected, and health service to break down. We're not even having a discussion about Primavera in a couple of months, there is no need to discuss. I still feel optimistic for Primavera 21 though, Primaveras 20th.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, puckno said:

It will take many months for the spread to top out. I don't understand the comparision with China some posts above, they went to extreme measures basically locking down cities for millions and still deadly sick people all over the place. Go watch the documentaries.The thing is the measures taken in China would need a dictatorship and will not work in the west. Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected, and health service to break down. We're not even having a discussion about Primavera in a couple of months, there is no need to discuss. I still feel optimistic for Primavera 21 though, Primaveras 20th.

hahahah maaaan give me some of that stuff you are having :)))

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, puckno said:

It will take many months for the spread to top out. I don't understand the comparision with China some posts above, they went to extreme measures basically locking down cities for millions and still deadly sick people all over the place. Go watch the documentaries.The thing is the measures taken in China would need a dictatorship and will not work in the west. Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected, and health service to break down. We're not even having a discussion about Primavera in a couple of months, there is no need to discuss. I still feel optimistic for Primavera 21 though, Primaveras 20th.

Didn't China deal with this in the Winter? i.e. they didn't have the benefit of the weather improving as we move into Spring.

"Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected" - I'm genuinely interest. What's your source of these numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Didn't China deal with this in the Winter? i.e. they didn't have the benefit of the weather improving as we move into Spring.

"Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected" - I'm genuinely interest. What's your source of these numbers?

His source is some mighty shit he is smoking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...