Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

It's funny how subjective tastes are - Mad Cool does line-up doesn't do much for me!

Angel Olsen, Hinds
Billie Eilish, Anderson .Paak, Phoebe Bridgers, Confidence Man, Peggy Gou
Alt-J, Clairo
Pixies, the Rapture, Maricka Hackman

That's about all I can pick out - and Anderson .Paak, Phoebe Bridgers and Maricka Hackman are the only ones I haven't seen before.

I am getting excited/impatient about the PS line-up; only because most of my predictions/wish list is showing up elsewhere so I am at a loss as to who will show up!

16 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

It's funny how subjective tastes are - Mad Cool does line-up doesn't do much for me!

I'm with you, very weak lineup for me, weak headliners and the undercard is not interesting either, there are only two artists I wish would come to Primavera (Angel Olsen and Anderson .Paak), plus a lot of them played Primavera in the past two years (Comet is Coming, Charli XCX, Floating Points, Four Tet, Kali Uchis, Octa Octa, Sigrid...), and I simply don't care for the rest. Won't be difficult for Primavera to beat this, to be honest...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

On a separate note, I wonder whether Primavera turned to the Strokes when Nine Inch Nails pulled out and nabbed them ahead of Mad Cool.

Really can't see how The Strokes would still fit into what we know/speculate about 

Frank Ocean - The Strokes - Lana Del Rey - Tyler, The Creator - The National - Pavement - Massive Attack - Beck - Kacey Musgraves 

would just be too big, even if you'd cut Frank Ocean. I guess it is just gonna be Mad Cool for them and a few other festivals in July like Roskilde. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

15 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Really can't see how The Strokes would still fit into what we know/speculate about 

Frank Ocean - The Strokes - Lana Del Rey - Tyler, The Creator - The National - Pavement - Massive Attack - Beck - Kacey Musgraves 

would just be too big, even if you'd cut Frank Ocean. I guess it is just gonna be Mad Cool for them and a few other festivals in July like Roskilde. 

from that list only Pavement and Strokes brings some value to festival, the rest have already been too much time or are biggest crowd pleasures or kinda  irrelevant to be headliners

17 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

would just be too big, even if you'd cut Frank Ocean.

Would it really be too big though? Some of those acts wouldn't be headlining major fests

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Would it really be too big though? Some of those acts wouldn't be headlining major fests

But Primavera is not a big fest in the sense of Mad Cool, Glasto, Roskilde or the like. The last couple years, Primavera only hab 1 or 2 headliners per year that would be definitive headliners at other European Majors (Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, Björk, Nick Cave, AM) and put much more focus on a broad line up. I might be wrong, but the above looks way too stacked for a Primavera line up.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Tyler, Pavement, Beck and Kacey Musgraves are second tier these days.

Agree on Beck and Kacey, but Pavement and above all Tyler are definitely among the Top 5. Tyler is massive since Igor. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Agree on Beck and Kacey, but Pavement and above all Tyler are definitely among the Top 5. Tyler is massive since Igor. 

Totally with.

I'm pretty sure he had an almost headline slot in 2018 and since then he released his most critically acclaimed album yet. He's top line for sure.

29 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Size of the acts compared to 2018:

The Strokes - AM

Frank Ocean - Björk

Lana - Nick Cave

Tyler - A$AP Rocky

The National - The National

Massive Attack, Beck, Pavement = Migos, Lorde, maybe The War on Drugs

I think 2020 would be a bit bigger, but I think it's possible.

11 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Yeah Pavement will probably get high billing but that's mostly because it's a comeback. Otherwise I wouldn't say they're that big. Rumoured to be doing a full tour next year, and I'd be surprised if they play anything bigger than academies

2 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

Size of the acts compared to 2018:

The Strokes - AM

Frank Ocean - Björk

Lana - Nick Cave

Tyler - A$AP Rocky

The National - The National

Massive Attack, Beck, Pavement = Migos, Lorde, maybe The War on Drugs

I think 2020 would be a bit bigger, but I think it's possible.

Tyler is far bigger than Rocky and Frank Ocean is far bigger than Björk.  I'd put AM as bigger as The Strokes but that'd depend on how their forthcoming album performs.

16 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

from that list only Pavement and Strokes brings some value to festival, the rest have already been too much time or are biggest crowd pleasures or kinda  irrelevant to be headliners

Lana and Tyler made two of the most acclaimed albums of 2019, Frank Ocean is one of the biggest artist of the decade, how are they irrelevant (and I don't even like Frank Ocean)? If anything, The Strokes would be the most irrelevant artist from that list, they have not released anything interesting in 15 years and they have already played at every festival ever (Massive Attack at least have not played Primavera before)...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Tyler is far bigger than Rocky and Frank Ocean is far bigger than Björk.  I'd put AM as bigger as The Strokes but that'd depend on how their forthcoming album performs.

I'm a huge Frank Ocean fan, but I'm not sure if he's that much bigger in europe than Björk. They both headlined similar festivals on their last tour (Northside in Denmark for example). 

I agree that Tyler is bigger than Rocky.

Edited by MrTobs

5 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

I'm a huge Frank Ocean fan, but I'm not sure if he's that much bigger in europe than Björk. They both headlined similar festivals on their last tour (Northside in Denmark for example). 

I agree that Tyler is bigger than Rocky.

Rocky is a bigger name in Sweden though.

Edited by xxialac

56 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm still clinging onto hope we'll get Anderson.Paak. Gabi a big fan.

Edit: and he's in London on 13th June

Me too

Plus, Mad Cool shared a ton of acts with other Spanish/Catalan fests. I already counted 6 shared acts on the first two rows of each day: The Killers (BBK headliner), Placebo (BBK, Cruilla), Foals and Khalid (FiB headliners),  Angel Olsen (Vida) and Parcels (Vida).

Safe to say Mad Cool cares less about exclusivity of most acts at this point, I believe likely that PS will get some of those MC - hopefully .Paak.